Thread: Reserves v East Coast Eagles

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Reserves v East Coast Eagles

ANZ Stadium
    Saturday 27th March 3.50pm

The AFL Canberra season doesn't begin for two weeks, and to keep the fringe players and young'uns match fit, the Swans have organised two practice/pre-season matches for the reserves team. This week as the curtain raiser to the Saints game, the reserves will be playing the reigning Sydney AFL champions, the East Coast Eagles. (Yes, they wear the same horrible West Coast guernseys). The following week they will be playing the AIS/AFL Academy at Blacktown.

It has been commonly accepted that the standard of the Canberra competition is superior to that of the local Sydney competition (Notwithstanding the fact that the Sydney rep team beat the Canberra rep team last year). This match should provide an interesting yardstick as to how far apart the two competitions are.

I am unaware of whether the Swans will be playing with the 13-players-on-the-field restrictions that apply to them in the Canberra comp. The 3 emergencies, plus Hannebery and Barlow will be keen to put in a solid performance to press their claims for the senior team. This will also be an opportunity for many fans to get a glimpse at new players Reid, McNeil, Heath and McKaigue.

Possible team list
    4. Dan Hannebery - Although not an emergency this week, is reportedly right in the mix for a senior spot.
    10. Daniel Currie
    11. Ed Barlow - similar to Hannebery's situation.
    13. Patrick Veszpremi ? - Not on the injury list but hasn't played any of the pre-season games.
    16. Gary Rohan (senior emergency)
    20. Sam Reid
    22. Byron Sumner
    26. Henry Playfair ? - Not on the injury list but hasn't played any of the pre-season games.
    28. Dylan McNeil
    35. Campbell Heath
    36. Chris McKaigue
    38. Mike Pyke
    40. Nick Smith (senior emergency)
    42. Paul Bevan (senior emergency)
    43. Matthew O'Dwyer ? - mysteriously omitted after the St Kilda NAB Cup game.
    44. Jake Orreal ? - Back soreness under assessment
    45. Nathan Gordon
    46. Taylor Gilchrist
    Last edited by ugg; 26th March 2010 at 10:16 AM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I look forward to this with similar (not the same) eagerness as to the firsts. Since it's a practice game I imagine everyone who's fit could and should get a run. And as others have said, even with the restrictions we should have a good season in the ressies.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thanks Ugg. In the Swans magazine they said Veszpremi has tendonitis in his leg which didn't prevent him running or any of the fitnes work but he had to hold back on his kicking. As he's not on the injury list I hope he's over this issue and will play tomorrow. A couple of games and he should be right in the mix for senior selection. We'll be a much better side if he's roaming around there somewhere.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I had a chat to Patty on fan day and as he is one of my favourites, enquired as to when we would be seeing him out on the paddock again.
    He explained what his problem had been and how he was on track training wise to rejoin the team. He said he expected to be available for the season opener with the ressies so I 'm taking that as him being available for this match.
    An interesting thing he mentioned was that he will be playing in the backline as the coaches see his future there and it is where he played his junior footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    An interesting thing he mentioned was that he will be playing in the backline as the coaches see his future there and it is where he played his junior footy.
    Playing a Luke Hodge type role I imagine but it's going to be hard to get a game with all the hald back flankers we have!
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Oooh what a useful person you are Jewels. and Hammo, I can see what you mean by your Luke Hodge reference; they actually have the same "look" don't they. OK, I'm sold, looking forward to the outcome.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Kennelly, Shaw, Mattner, Malceski, Veszpremi with a hint of Sumner and a dash of Barlow. Not a bad recipe.