Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Round 1 V St. Kilda - Game Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    My own view is that this game was a wasted opportunity. I don't think st kilda are anywhere near as good as they were last season and we match up on them really well. LRT plays Kosi as well as he plays anyone - he is perhaps the slowest tall forward in the comp other than resting ruckmen. Grundy is reasonably well suited to Riewoldt and our midfield can blanket the saints because they aren't particularly quick.

We were better than st kilda in most aspects of the game other than our singular inability to actually defend 10-15 metres out from goal - the situations which led repeatedly to st kilda having a player get the ball with all of the swans otherwise lying on the ground around them were just killers. I am sure I am not the only one who panics when i see reg and LRT trying to handball to each other and I would prefer if reg is going to try to outmark riewoldt that he does that near the 50 instead of metres from goal.

I have said repeatedly (although only occasionally here) that moving goodes to the forward line will be two losses for us. I don't think he is anywhere near as good a forward as he is a midfielder and we desperately need someone who can break from packs with the ball. I am not saying he didn't play well but my view is that it is a mistake to put him in the forward line when other teams can then play a negating player on him and he can't use his general fitness as well as height to beat them.

I think the umpiring was absymal - but then i think that every week and it really wasn't the reason we lost.
    Agree on Goodes. We don't have enough class in the guts without him there.

Ideally our middle 6 would be McVeigh, O'Keefe, Hannebery, Bolton, Kirk and then Goodes for that added class/xfactor. That imo is a very good midfield and they could match any side on their day.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Goodes should be allowed to roam wherever he thinks fit for the state of play if he still has the stamina.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    Goodes should be allowed to roam wherever he thinks fit for the state of play if he still has the stamina.

HP
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't have that licence already
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't have that licence already
    He's got the licence, and on Saturday night it was used. I've said it a gazillion times ... just let him go. Let the other team worry about how many they have to use (waste) to try and man him up.

How about those two air soccer kicks leading to goals?? What a freakin legend.

If it weren't for Goodesy, we would have lost by more.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Irrational view of the game.

Swans are off to a flier. Umpy thinks ? I hate Sydney, better do something about this?. ?Two cheap frees for two goals and Saints back in it. The Swans commit a couple of dumb turnovers to give the Saints another couple. Umpy thinks ?OK job done, I can umpire fairly now.?
    Go to last quarter Swans get a roll on, less than a kick in it. Umpy thinks ?better do something about this? Two cheap frees in goal range plus a 50 metre penalty ? but still the Saints are only eight points up. Couple of minutes to go: Tadhg marks 50 out, and is illegally smashed. Umpy thinks: ?Gee how do I get out of this?? OK, I can say he didn?t hold the ball, I can get out of giving a fifty, there?s Mc Glynn over there, he can?t kick the distance ? I?ll give the ball to him.? Less than a minute to go, Goodes stages for one. Umpy thinks, ?less than a minute to go, should be safe here, This should deflect any doubters, I'll give the free.? Siren. Umpy thinks: ?Job well done boys, let?s get out of this dump.? Aggrieved Swans fans around the country are going ballistic.

Rational view.

Both teams had 6 free kicks inside 50. They kicked 5 we got 2 Bad kicking is bad footy. We won more hard balls, but poor disposal both in general play and for goal cost us big time. We failed to react quickly enough after we turned the ball over, and they made us pay. We got a couple of bad calls but If we had done our jobs properly the umpies would have had no chance of having any influence because the game would have been dead and buried. Suck it up, and learn for next week.

Those are my thoughts during a bad game like Saturday and the reality 48 hours later. I make a big enough goose of myself at the game, but at least some sense has returned when I get home, so I don?t post afterwards and make a bigger goose of myself.

Trouble is, deep down I am still struggling. Every time I see a game in Perth or Adelaide I see the effect a home crowd can have. What happened on Saturday would NEVER have happened there. The team can take some blame, but we the fans should too. The crowd can influence the umpires, but most of the Sydney crowd decline to do so.
    Last edited by Old Royboy; 29th March 2010 at 11:10 PM.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

C'mon Toyboyroy!!! How much more abuse can the umps cop at a Sydney game? I lost my voice giving them the what for. They think we're stupid and don't know the rules - so they think they can "interpret" them a little differently up here. They're wrong. I think they fear for their lives some games (as they should dodgy bastards) - security always takes them off the ground.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    C'mon Toyboyroy!!! How much more abuse can the umps cop at a Sydney game? I lost my voice giving them the what for. They think we're stupid and don't know the rules - so they think they can "interpret" them a little differently up here. They're wrong. I think they fear for their lives some games (as they should dodgy bastards) - security always takes them off the ground.
    Annie, I didn't mean you. If the were 30,000 of us two in the crowd Sydney would be the away trip from hell. We'd never lose.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Apologies if posted before but did anyone else hear something about one of the Saints "goals" brushing the post and another being touched on the line?
    As I posted earlier in the thread I was directly behind the goal post that was brushed and I have no doubt that this was the case. And i was not backward in letting the goal umpire know it.
    Last edited by BigD; 2nd April 2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: additional info.

Schneider 'goal' I believe
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213