Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 V St. Kilda - Game Thread

Absolutely stoked with the boys again. Play like that for 21 more games and we will finish top 4. Not going to blame the umps, we lost, but it happens. Seaby very good pickup. I wish to welcome back Tadgh and even moreso that bloke in the #9. Great to see him with his confidence back.

Coulda been better.. Coulda been worse. The good thing is that this team IMO has a lot of upside. There were plenty of quiet patches and skills gone haywire, but I would have expected that with a team containing a lot of new players. Plenty of guys have lots of improvement to come, and I would hope it will be a much sharper looking team in a few weeks.

Umpiring was questionable, but we gave away even more goals in bad turnovers and slack marking. It'll take time, but it's already a much more enjoyable year than last year IMO the pressure is off, and we just sit back and enjoy the new-look team coming together.

My thoughts based just on tonight (bear with me, I was busy yelling so might have misjudged a coupe of these players):

Guys who I think will improve once they get more game-time and/or learn how our game plan works - Bradshaw, Kennelly, Jetta

Guys who I think are doing just fine at the moment - Seaby, Mumford, Kirk, McGlynn, Malceski, Moore, O'Keefe, Jack, Grundy, Mattner, LRT, Shaw, McVeigh, C Bolton

Guys who I think need to step up - Kennedy, Goodes (good in patches, but I expect more from a player of his calibre), Jude Bolton (ditto), Richards, White

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Just back......I see the umps have a new poppet and Adam Goodes is no longer the "protected species" target. That mantle has been taken by Saint Nic. I mean I admire the man, but honest to goodness the umping at times was precious. I am not going to say any more until I have had food and a good lie down.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Just back......I see the umps have a new poppet and Adam Goodes is no longer the "protected species" target. That mantle has been taken by Saint Nic.
    That statement is garbage.

Riewoldt has ALWAYS been an umps' favourite

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

And apart from that, I am worrying about White. Although Braddles looked after him a bit.
    I am not worried about Jetta; he will find his green feet soon enough.
    BIG YAY NicMal.
    Oh dear Tadgh.
    Happy with the rucking stocks (at least from a distance - my binoculars developed melting case desease over the off season - green sticky goo, I mean really and truly!!!!!!!!!!).

I watched a quarter and a bit of Hannerbery pre game; wouldn't be surprised if we see him sooner than later. He's a little gun.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Next, the vicious from behind attack on Kennelly near the end of the game, where a mark was nevertheless taken by him. If EVER a fifty metre should have been taken....But no.

I could go on and on but I am too angry.
    I see your angry but unfortunately Tadhg was cleaned up in a fair spoil. Nothing malicious in it (unlike Kosi's ugly attempts that came all night!) the Aint only had eyes for the ball.

And one of Reiwoldts free was for a hand in the back that was there, I don't like the rule but this is not the first game it has been used in.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Regular in the Side
    Have to agree with top40 on the umpiring. The crowd were livid with some of tonight's decisions. We had a good vantage point and Goodes was constantly held without a free being paid. The 50m awarded against Mattner was soft - he rightly thought the Saints player had played on. Riewoldt always manages to have a good run with the umpires.

How a 50m penalty wasn't awarded for the hit on Kenneally is unfathomable! These one-sided decisions mar the "spirit" of fairness in the game.

Having said all that, we needed to do just a little more to win. BOG was Goodes, he is so much classier than any other player in the Swans and it would be wonderful if we had another couple of him. Kenneally was off the boil and will hopefully (if he's fit after that hit) get better each week.

Bradshaw didn't get great delivery, Jesse White had a shocker tonight, in fact the forward line didn't function well at all. I put this down partly to the fact the players need to "gel" as a team and that will come with time.

McVeigh had a decent game, as did ROK (apart from some errant kicking). The ruck duo did okay, while Kirk and Bolton (1) played their hearts out as usual.

Disappointing and I hope we don't have St Kilda first up again in 2011. Richmond or Melbourne in Round 1 this year would have been nice!

would like to see us push forward with the overhead long kick.............its worked well for Saints, Dogs and

I am happy with the start............ie a bit rusty........but tough competition, new players, our game plan was executed within the boundaries of its limitations !

worried about Kirky keeping up when teams flood forward...........he looked sharp and great hands as ever but a few times he just couldnt keep up and two goals came from good Saint flood forwards and Kirky was yelling at our HF players to cover him !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

An Umpire-Assisted Win for the Saints

Having just got back from the game, you can't tell me St. Kilda - especially Mr. Riewoldt - were not gifted several rather crucial penalties.

Disappointing to lose, even though we had more scoring shots, but at least we played more consistently over the course of the whole game.

I did notice Bradshaw limping a bit at one stage - did anyone else see it? I hope that's not an omen - he didn't have much impact tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I see your angry but unfortunately Tadhg was cleaned up in a fair spoil. Nothing malicious in it (unlike Kosi's ugly attempts that came all night!) the Aint only had eyes for the ball.

And one of Reiwoldts free was for a hand in the back that was there, I don't like the rule but this is not the first game it has been used in.
    Have to disagree. A spoil yes but fair no; he marked then got hit. Should have been a fifty metre free kick.

On the Rookie List
    Good effort, but very disappointed. I cant stand losing to st kilda, as well as to collingwood and west coast. Glad we dont play them again this year, geez adelaide in adelaide next week, looks like a 0-2 start

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    I know it's only one game but LRT better improve many times over, or get used to the surrounds of Canberra.
    Bradshaw filling the Hall void perfectly (players hanging all over him and no frees)
    Some bizzare calls both ways, not to mention a goal ump that can't tell when a ball clips the post.
    At leas some positives to suggest Sydney will be thereabouts come September.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast