Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unless you are Nick Riewoldt - umpires are happy for you to be assassinated - P Roos

We did have a stiff night with umpires. Some soft frees at the wrong time. But it's a sign of a top side that they win the close ones, like we mostly did in 05-06. We did leak some pretty soft goals.

BUt I did think the league was hot on protecting the player's head.

ROos wasn't being unkind to White, just pointing out it happens. I thought Bradshaw looked "dangerous" at times, just not many times.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    It also didn't help with some slow and poor delivery to the forward line. However that MFU from White where he dropped a sitter on the lead which lead directly to an Aint's goal was a huge point.

White will be better for the hitout though and i know he will bounce back this weekend.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Suspended by the MRP
    Snow White may have too much ink in his arm to actually lift it up to take a grab?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama View Post
    Snow White may have too much ink in his arm to actually lift it up to take a grab?
    Oh Master, Grasshopper would like to know about the karma of free kicks awarded against you. I seem to remember in 05 many bad decisions (Goodes tripped.Leo penalised 50) but we built up all these brownie points which were all paid back in the GF. Hall was not suspended(HOw ??????) and the umpires gave us a good ride in the GF. If this is true,then bring on the bad decisions in the minor round and let the God of karma reward us in the Finals for all our suffering??? Is this true Oh Master?

Jessie is a player in the making and has immense potential due to size, skill and a need to succeed. He has to get used to the spotlight and it isn't always going to look pretty on him.

What the Swans have to do is avoid making another state of mind like Nick Davis, where he thought it would all just happen because his skills were freakish. What destroyed him was his ......

EGO

Roosy is doing what he thinks will mentor this young man to be the best of his ability by whatever pop psychology he can and if he succeeds in keeping a lid on this boys id, we are the ones that will be rewarded as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    What the Swans have to do is avoid making another state of mind like Nick Davis, where he thought it would all just happen because his skills were freakish. What destroyed him was his ......

EGO

Roosy is doing what he thinks will mentor this young man to be the best of his ability by whatever pop psychology he can and if he succeeds in keeping a lid on this boys id, we are the ones that will be rewarded as well.
    I take your point, but my concern is that if Roosy really thinks he has another Nick Davis on his hands that warrants that sort of management, then is it worth the trouble, considering it would more than likely to turn to @@@@ anyway?

I think it just puts into context the significance of the issue (be it ego or otherwise) in Roos' mind, the way he handles White compared to every other player I can recall (including Davis).

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jesse is learning his craft. He's not going to get it right every week in fact he's probably going to get it more wrong than right in this early part of his career and I think that's all Roos was saying in his usual style.
    They've profiled all these players so deeply that they predict their reactions and understand how to manage and motivate. Jesse may well be a player who responds to directness.
    If Jesse can't cop that on the chin at 22 yo then he needs to change jobs because as he gets better and his profile grows, which it will, he is going to be subject to an awful lot attention and his failure to perform on the big stage is going to lead to a lot of scrutiny.
    I actually think by Roos stating it was a crap game but 'hey that's to be expected with a young player' is exactly the right message to both the media ("hey lay off and there's not a problem so drop it") and to Jesse ("you were bad but don't beat yourself up head down work hard")

In all fairness to both Jesse, Nicky D and Roos, the circumstances are entirely different. IMO they can't be compared and to do so is unfair to all involved.
    Last edited by Lucky Knickers; 29th March 2010 at 06:44 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Jesse is learning his craft. He's not going to get it right every week in fact he's probably going to get it more wrong than right in this early part of his career and I think that's all Roos was saying in his usual style.
    They've profiled all these players so deeply that they predict their reactions and understand how to manage and motivate. Jesse may well be a player who responds to directness.
    If Jesse can't cop that on the chin at 22 yo then he needs to change jobs because as he gets better and his profile grows, which it will, he is going to be subject to an awful lot attention and his failure to perform on the big stage is going to lead to a lot of scrutiny.
    I actually think by Roos stating it was a crap game but 'hey that's to be expected with a young player' is exactly the right message to both the media ("hey lay off and there's not problem so drop") and to Jesse ("you were bad but don't beat yourself up head down work hard")

In all fairness to both Jesse, Nicky D and Roos, the circumstances are entirely different. IMO they can't be compared and to do so is unfair to all involved.
    Quite so.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

No charges for Dawson.

Justin Koschitzke faces a three-game ban.

Swans mystified why Dawson escapes charge - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club
    -

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    I believe most posters believe that Dawson was going for the ball, but was late and hit him on the head. Careless, yes, but I believe not malicious. Most were expecting a 50 metre penalty. That is what is puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I believe most posters believe that Dawson was going for the ball, but was late and hit him on the head. Careless, yes, but I believe not malicious. Most were expecting a 50 metre penalty. That is what is puzzling.
    I agree.

It was late and a bit crude, but tbh, I think a 50 would have been sufficient punishment. The fact we didn't even get that makes me crankier than Dawson getting off.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

The 50 was there. Maggots gave away three of the softest frees I've ever seen in my life - in front of goal each time.

As for White, maybe if he got his mind out of the harem and into some extra marking practice ...
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast