Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unless you are Nick Riewoldt - umpires are happy for you to be assassinated - P Roos

I'm still laughing ... maggots sponsor is OPSM.
    Best. Sponsorship. Ever.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dawson did make contact with the ball when he punched it out of Tadgh hands. I think the ground did the most damage when he came down.
    The one that I find staggering is Hille getting off. He looked like he deliberately lined up Bartel once it was clear he wasn't going to make the contest (sorry to post in Swans thread but annoyed).
    If Kosi got 4 for that hit on Eski, Hille deserves at least same.
    I thought Kosi was laying a genuine bump but being 100 foot taller than Melcho lead to the contact to the head.
    MRP have set the scene for another season of the bizarre, inconsistent and inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I'm still laughing ... maggots sponsor is OPSM.
    Best. Sponsorship. Ever.
    I remember reading when it was announced that as part of the deal OPSM is giving all AFL umpires free eye tests throughout the year.

I suppose if you were looking for a sponsor for the umpires, who better then an optometry company?
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    I remember reading when it was announced that as part of the deal OPSM is giving all AFL umpires free eye tests throughout the year.

I suppose if you were looking for a sponsor for the umpires, who better then an optometry company?
    Perhaps an undertaker?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Dawson did make contact with the ball when he punched it out of Tadgh hands. I think the ground did the most damage when he came down.
    The one that I find staggering is Hille getting off. He looked like he deliberately lined up Bartel once it was clear he wasn't going to make the contest (sorry to post in Swans thread but annoyed).
    If Kosi got 4 for that hit on Eski, Hille deserves at least same.
    I thought Kosi was laying a genuine bump but being 100 foot taller than Melcho lead to the contact to the head.
    MRP have set the scene for another season of the bizarre, inconsistent and inexplicable.
    Can't agree with that. Wouldn't have been surprised if Hille had got one week, but not particularly surprised he didn't. At least it happened in a contest, one that Hille was entitled to be in and was committed too. He didn't need to turn into Bartel the way he did but once in the air he had a split second to decide what to do.

Kossie, on the other hand, made a deliberate decision to bump a player not contesting the ball. Not only was Malceski not contesting the ball, he was off balance and far enough away from the ball that he was not likely to influence the contest. Kossie had other choices - like maybe to contest the ball himself. I don't think Mal fell much between Kossie lining him up and actually making contact. I don't see how Kossie could possibly have made contact to the body, and only the body, in that action. Indeed, I think Kossie has got off pretty lightly given the AFL says it wants to crack down on things like this. It was far more blatant and deliberate than the one Shaun Burgoyne got weeks for a few years ago. I think Kossie (and Malceski) is very lucky he didn't do more damage.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Can't agree with that. Wouldn't have been surprised if Hille had got one week, but not particularly surprised he didn't. At least it happened in a contest, one that Hille was entitled to be in and was committed too. He didn't need to turn into Bartel the way he did but once in the air he had a split second to decide what to do.

Kossie, on the other hand, made a deliberate decision to bump a player not contesting the ball. Not only was Malceski not contesting the ball, he was off balance and far enough away from the ball that he was not likely to influence the contest. Kossie had other choices - like maybe to contest the ball himself. I don't think Mal fell much between Kossie lining him up and actually making contact. I don't see how Kossie could possibly have made contact to the body, and only the body, in that action. Indeed, I think Kossie has got off pretty lightly given the AFL says it wants to crack down on things like this. It was far more blatant and deliberate than the one Shaun Burgoyne got weeks for a few years ago. I think Kossie (and Malceski) is very lucky he didn't do more damage.
    Interesting that Ko@@@@ski crashed and bashed all night and came from behind to do it most times that tells me he is frightened to genuinely put his head over the ball given his appalling awareness. If he keeps playing this way he won't play too many games this year.

His stats: 9 possessions, 2 marks, 5 uncontested, 2 tackles, 2 clangers, 2 goals. Didn't get near the ball much all night but acted tough. Probably the most overrated player of modern times.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Not saying Kosi didn't deserve to get done but in the context of Hille, I think that equally as dangerous and is not in line with, as you state, what AFL want to crack down on.
    Hille changed his body line, tucked his arm in and deliberately lined up Bartel's head. Worse, Bartel had no idea what was coming as it was a hit from behind. For the MRP to then say it was in the context of marking. I disagree. Hille was late to the contest, realised it, and went for a snipe from behind.
    How can players know what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I agree.

It was late and a bit crude, but tbh, I think a 50 would have been sufficient punishment. The fact we didn't even get that makes me crankier than Dawson getting off.
    If Dawson had taken out a gun and shot Kennelly, I am sure the umpire would have paid holding the ball
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Interesting that Ko@@@@ski crashed and bashed all night and came from behind to do it most times that tells me he is frightened to genuinely put his head over the ball given his appalling awareness. If he keeps playing this way he won't play too many games this year.

His stats: 9 possessions, 2 marks, 5 uncontested, 2 tackles, 2 clangers, 2 goals. Didn't get near the ball much all night but acted tough. Probably the most overrated player of modern times.
    Agree with this, very very overrated even if he has been cruelled by injuries. Sort of a poor man's Trent Croad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

The commentators were laughing at him on Saturday night. Every time he went near the ball he flattened someone, fortunately for us most of the time it was a team mate of his.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Not saying Kosi didn't deserve to get done but in the context of Hille, I think that equally as dangerous and is not in line with, as you state, what AFL want to crack down on.
    Hille changed his body line, tucked his arm in and deliberately lined up Bartel's head. Worse, Bartel had no idea what was coming as it was a hit from behind. For the MRP to then say it was in the context of marking. I disagree. Hille was late to the contest, realised it, and went for a snipe from behind.
    How can players know what to do?
    I've just seen the Hille one again on OTC and am now more inclined to think he is lucky to get off. I still think it is very different to the Kossie one and not as bad, but though he was committed to the contest, he didn't need to turn his shoulder into Bartel's body.

I'm loving the newly feral Roos. He's stuck it to the AFL, GWS, our backline and now the tribunal in the last couple of weeks.

Swans mystified why Dawson clash escapes review - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club[/url]

Roos said the match review panel?s verdict on the Kennelly clash appeared to defy the league?s decree that players? heads were sacrosanct.
    ?I thought it was made clear that any collisions to the head were going to be looked at seriously,? he said on Monday afternoon.
    [url="http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/91291/default.aspx"]
    Last edited by ShockOfHair; 29th March 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Left out a word in my excitement
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast