Thread: Jesse White

Jesse White

Hiya all,

1st time poster, long time RWO voyeur.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents in relation to Jesse White.

He has received a ton of criticism so far this year. Personally, I think he has done OK. It takes time for young players to learn how to become a key forward. I am rapt that we have Bradshaw to mentor him.

Jesse has been good in patches, for example the 1st quarter v the Tigers. He needs to lift his workrate, improve the defensive side of his game and learn to use his bulk to crash packs.

I think we need to give him time. I would hate to see him get dropped, and was disappointed to see him in defense in the 4th quarter last week.

Cheers,
    RM
    Last edited by Rabid Mongrel; 13th April 2010 at 04:23 PM.

I'm happy with Jesse. Thought he was much better on the weekend and was quite good working up the ground. People need to remember that he has only played 23 games. Not too many teams have 3 good key defenders so he creates problems for the opposition by just being there.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Really want just to say tl:dr, but that's a bit mean.

So instead I go; Hi, welcome. What's with the huge post mostly off topic?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Really want just to say tl:dr, but that's a bit mean.

So instead I go; Hi, welcome. What's with the huge post mostly off topic?
    Hi. OK, I take your point. I will edit and create a 2nd thread for the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Mongrel View Post
    Hi. OK, I take your point. I will edit and create a 2nd thread for the other stuff.
    I thought it a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I thought it a good read.
    Indeed, derserves it's own thread.

I'm happy with JW so far this season for what its worth.
    -

I don't mind seeing JW go down back for experience or to fill a hole. Adds flexibility to the team. This weekend if North had Petrie in (who's injured unfortunately) they could run a forward line with a lot of height.

Quote Originally Posted by Far Reach View Post
    I don't mind seeing JW go down back for experience or to fill a hole. Adds flexibility to the team. This weekend if North had Petrie in (who's injured unfortunately) they could run a forward line with a lot of height.
    Thats a fair point. He was also tried in the ruck early last season with little success. On the basis of what we saw towards the end of last season I think he has the potential to be a man to build the forward line around for years to come. Personally, I would like to see him learn his craft as a forward and have him left there for the whole season unless he becomes a liability.

Blog Entries
    I think the reason for the disappointment this year is we haven't seen the talent he displayed last year when he stepped into BBBBH's shoes.
    We were all hoping he would continue on in that vein, however, having Goodes, Bradshaw, and now McGlynn taking up space up forward, it will take him a while to find his own space.

If we win our next 3 and are 5-1 and Jesse is playing cameo's and doing his little bit for the team who cares.

Doesn't need to kick bag's of goals or control the forward line, just needs to do what is asked, learn and make sure when it's his turn to kick an important goal or hold onto a mark that he does it wiht the minimum of fuss.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

JW's game this week was a definate improvement IMHO. He's a big man for the other teams to cover, he's learning and with Roosy deploying him up the ground to get a touch, he will continue to learn and gain confidence. Keeping him stuck in the forward line not getting too many touches won't help him, he has to get the leather in his hands. His blocking, handballing and running when he was in the action was quite impressive, so just wait and see folks, Jessie's time will come.

I mentioned in another thread I watched a replay and tried to visually tag him. He got to contests and blocked - effectively. He can handball like a shot. He is learning to make quick and effective decisions, and he is learning his craft from a different angle with the huge advantage of a mentor on hand. Fine by me. They run all their decisions by me you know, for my approval........
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood