Thread: Southern Power Under 18's Forfeit

Southern Power Under 18's Forfeit

Yes, Grand Finalists for the last 2 years, Southern Power have forfeited tomorrow's game against Penrith.
    Seven team comp and by round 2, two different teams have forfeited. What's happening in the Shire?

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Yes, Grand Finalists for the last 2 years, Southern Power have forfeited tomorrow's game against Penrith.
    Seven team comp and by round 2, two different teams have forfeited. What's happening in the Shire?
    Hardly the signs of a code ready to support two senior teams in Sydney.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    exactly what I was thinking Mug.....the AFL have a HEAP of work to do before the GWS team get off the ground

Sadly, the Challenge Cup is quickly becoming a bit of a farce, probably down to a 5 team comp already

Quote Originally Posted by Tubzy View Post
    exactly what I was thinking Mug.....the AFL have a HEAP of work to do before the GWS team get off the ground

Sadly, the Challenge Cup is quickly becoming a bit of a farce, probably down to a 5 team comp already
    Crikey, someone agreeing with me and not calling me a negative twat.....

I don't know where the AFL gets the junior numbers in Sydney from because game at the grassroots has probably gone backwards in the last 20 odd years - it used to be that the junior leagues fielded U18 teams and the U19s played on Sunday plus you had all the SFA teams except Mac Uni fielding U20 sides . To only get just over a dozen U18 teams on the field in a city of 4 - 5 million is quite frankly embarrassing.

To think we have the latent suport for a second team is just fanciful IMO. They have less than TWO YEARS to get this circus off the ground. They are more deluded that 48 hour detox (and that is saying something - should I seek out the AFL Commission to debate this post Detox?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Yeah, because Taren Point is so close to Western Sydney...

Shire U18's

Seems St George U18's have taken over again. From all the work that was done to get the U18's up and running, Becoming the POWER to give Cronulla juniors somewhere to go other than St George. There is enough juniors in the Shire to easily support two U18 teams if clubs are prepared to work with the juniors.Quite obviosly this mob are NOT. Seems the current committee are quite obviously putting in more time to the NEW womens team, That should certainly build and maintain the depth for future success. 5 years on top and still NO flag. They should win it this year but from there on..its all down hill....Forget East Coast Eagles look through all divisions other than our own Quenbeyan Tigers Im pretty sure the POWER is up there with the best of the CHOKERS...

Senior Player
    MP the AFL probably get the numbers thanks to parents like myself. My daughter Caitlin gets included when she does Auskick at her school Barnier where guys from East Coast come and run the clinics - she absolutely loves Tim Kear and is almost as tall as him (they guys a the Eagles do a great job) - She then gets included again becuase I took her to the new Auskick centre at Harris Creek (Holsworthy). Two into one really shouldnt count but I suspect it does.

As for the Challenge Cup becoming a farce - Rubbish they same could be said about the Prem Cup - The reality is that the AFL not the Sydney AFL but the AFL should get their heads out of their arses (unlikey with the Spew in charge) and realise that promotion of the game involves a lot more than lip service and a second team.

In the South West region our Bankstown and Liverpool Junior clubs have produced AFL players so the talent is there - Unfortunately whilst Bankstown compete in the southern comp where distances travelled are manageable for parents, Liverpool and Holsworthy compete in a comp that drives kids from the game - the reality is that mums and dads whose time on a weekend is precious dont want to drive from Holsworthy (as an example) all the way to Emu plains or futher. If the ALL put its thinking cap on it would realise that the distances currently travelled in the south west and western regions are turning kids away. Why not run a competition from Livo to Camden with the clubs in that demographic? It would certainly take the pressure of parents who have more to their lives than AFL (remember many parents have multiple kids in muliple sports) it would also allow kids to develop.

Finally zoning Bankstown Juniors as GWS is one thing but if those incharge think that they can make them play in the western comp and not where they currently are will effective kill off what is a stong club - lets hope that common sense prevails there.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Remember Me View Post
    Seems St George U18's have taken over again. From all the work that was done to get the U18's up and running, Becoming the POWER to give Cronulla juniors somewhere to go other than St George. There is enough juniors in the Shire to easily support two U18 teams if clubs are prepared to work with the juniors.Quite obviosly this mob are NOT. Seems the current committee are quite obviously putting in more time to the NEW womens team, That should certainly build and maintain the depth for future success. 5 years on top and still NO flag. They should win it this year but from there on..its all down hill....Forget East Coast Eagles look through all divisions other than our own Quenbeyan Tigers Im pretty sure the POWER is up there with the best of the CHOKERS...
    The St George committee have been doing alot of work to change what has happened in the past - maybe you should actually do some research before posting crap.

I agree tara

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    The St George committee have been doing alot of work to change what has happened in the past - maybe you should actually do some research before posting crap.
    Im not referring to St George commitee its quite obvious that they have. There U18s were wooden spooners (2007 pretty sure) thats when the Power changed colours didnt they. They thought just changing colours would continue there U18's without working with junior clubs..So they were wrong as alot of people told them.