Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabid Rankings Week 5

Rabid Rankings Week 6

The Mongrel?s Rabid Rankings Week 5:

The season is rapidly turning sour for the bottom sides. Teams I have ranked 12 to 16 have gone 2-13 over the last 3 weeks. It has been really difficult to sift through the sewer to work out who is worse in relative terms. I can?t see how any of those sides can have meaningful impact on 2010. Sickening. The other end of the ladder is shaping up as being extremely even. I can?t pick a clear favourite at the moment. Expect sides to fluctuate wildly in the rankings in the coming weeks.

Please throw your thoughts into the mix.

Conquistador team of the week: Carlton (up 3) ? Angry fans were ready to frogmarch Ratts and co out of Visy Park, and then they flog the reigning premiers. Credit where credit is due. The Blues look a lot more compact in defence and the forward line is showing signs of life. The spectre of losing to the Bombers only a few weeks ago lingers. The next month provides the chance to prove themselves as genuine challengers.

Steaming pile team of the week: Brisbane (down 6) ? The Lions have been punished in this week?s rankings for being eaten alive by a legion of hungry Demons. The game wasn?t even close, which simply isn?t good enough from a side that make claims of premiership challengers. Injuries are starting to take their toll and Voss may need to reconsider playing guys who are only 50% fit. Watch Brisbane closely over the next 3 to see if they are the real deal.

1. Collingwood: Rabid Ranking Movement (+4), Ladder 3rd, Record 4-1, Form WWL, Ahead Carlton (A), Roos (H), Freo (A) ? The only team to turn up on Anzac Day. Did what they had to do for an easy win but can?t read too much into it due to the opposition. Jolly is starting to like he belongs. There is no excuse for not being 6-1 after the next 2. Starting to look like genuine grand final aspirants.

2. St Kilda: (0), 2nd, 4-1, LWW, Dogs (A), Blues (H), Bombers (H) ? Everyone deserves a chance. I?ll give St Kilda the benefit of the doubt and put their loss down against Port as an aberration. However, if they lose against the Dogs and fail to apply scoreboard pressure, expect them to plummet in the week 6 rankings. Yet to disprove: no Roo no Saints.

3. Fremantle: (0), 5th, 4-1, WLW, Eagles (A), Lions (A), Pies (H) ? Did enough (just) against the Tigers in a scratchy win. A tough little stretch ahead will give a clear indication of where they are at. Hold their position.

4. Sydney: (+2), 1st, 4-1, WWW, Lions (H), Cats (A), Dogs (A) ? The Swans find themselves atop the ladder for the first time in over 5 years. This must be tempered by the fact that they have played against bottom 6 sides for the last 4 weeks. Swans fans have a right to feel bullish but will want to be no worse than 6-2 after 8 before travel agents are instructed to make late September arrangements.

5. Geelong: (-4), 7th, 3-2, LWL, Tigers (H), Sydney (H), Lions (A) ? Losing 2 of 3 may be the wakeup call the Cats need. The brilliance of their midfield and defence has always disguised deficiencies in their forward line. Public opinion went too hard, too early on Podsiadly and Hawkins just doesn?t look up for the fight. Every empire eventually falls, and the Cats have been around the top for half a decade now. Can they regroup, or are they drifting into obscurity?

6. Western Bulldogs: (+1), 8th, 3-2, WLW, Saints (H), Demons (A), Swans (H) ? The Dogs continued their trend of accounting for bottom 8 sides. Over the next 3 weeks they play top 8 challengers and there is no reason they shouldn?t beat all 3. Losing 2 or more would probably indicate the Dogs are not top 4 material. Time to prove their mettle.

7. Carlton: (+3), 6th, 3-2, WLL, Collingwood (H), Saints (A), Port (A) ? Just when everyone was getting out the big blue mothballs the Blues come out on a percentage boosting rampage against the reigning premiers. The indigenous forward connection is clicking and the big Irish doofus looks competitive as a makeshift key forward. Consistency is the key. The next three can go either way. To use a clich?, their destiny is in their own hands.

8. Melbourne: (0), 9th, 3-2, WWW, Roos (A), Dogs (H), Eagles (H) ? Absolutely smashed a hopeless Lions. Very hungry at the moment. The Lions had plenty out/playing injured but the Dees also were missing expected best 22 players in Morton, Jurrah, Rivers, Meeson, Wonaeamirri and Bell. How good can they be in 2010? There is no reason why they can?t win the next 3, however even 2 wins will have them at 5-3. The sky is the limit.

9. Brisbane: (-6), 5th, 4-1, LWW, Sydney (A), Freo (H), Cats (H) ? The Lions were clearly underdone against the Dees and the selection of Jono Brown was a failure. However, the good sides find a way to remain competitive. If anything the scoreboard was flattering for the Lions who were unmercifully flogged. Will be playing for credibility next week.

10. Port Adelaide: (-1), 10th, 3-2, WLL, Crows (A), Bombers (A), Blues (H) ? A very gutsy win against the Saints. Their superiority in general play was not accurately reflected on the scoreboard. The Power remain in strong contention for a bottom half of the 8 spot. Will need to find consistency in defensive pressure. Are making 80+ tackles in all of their wins and <50 in all of their losses. I they are a genuine finals contender they should win at least 2 of the next 3.

11. North Melbourne: (+3), 11th, 2-3, WLW, Melbourne (H), Pies (A), Crows (H) ? Against the Hawks the Roos were smashed in possessions (-58) and marks (-43), but were dominant in hitouts (+29) and tackles (+30). It was a day where defence won over offence. It was a handy win for the Roos, who now move to a respectable 2 wins from 5. Not a bad record for a side going nowhere in 2010 except up.

12. Hawthorn: (-1), 12th, 1-4, LLL, Bombers (A), Eagles (A), Tigers (A) ? The Hawks are in real bother now. Where is the system, structure, heart? Injuries are taking an obvious toll, however many observers are shocked at the lack of depth. The deficiency in hitouts (-48) is having a flow on effect in tackling (-77) and free kicks (-15). The next three all look winnable, but it would be a brave punter to back them with confidence to win any of them.

13. West Coast Eagles: (-1), 13th, 1-4, LWL, Freo (H), Hawthorn (H), Dees (A) ? A poor list playing poor football with no confidence. Next week?s game gives them a chance for some redemption, although on form they can expect a towelling. The recruiting staff should hang their heads in shame. The bottom half of their list is as bad as any team in the league. Would be ranked lower if not for the fact that teams below them have not achieved anything to suggest they warrant promotion.

14. Essendon: (-1), 14th, 1-4, LLW, Hawthorn (H), Port (A), Saints (A) ? Looking at the stats against the Pies the major point of difference was the Bombers over possession by hand which led to effective tackling by the Pies +14 which led to turnovers. Knights is really on the ropes now. A loss to the Hawks will mean curtains for 2010. Does anyone at Windy Hill have James Hird?s telephone number?

15. Adelaide: (0), 15th, 0-5, LLL, Port (H), Tigers (H), Roos (A) ? I?m not even going to waste my time writing about the Crows. Must win next week if they hope to salvage anything from 2010.

16. Richmond: (0), 16th, 0-5, LLL, Geelong (A), Crows (A), Hawks (H) ? Again, the Tigers were good in patches against Freo and put together a respectable performance. Tigers fans should show great pride in this performance. Two of the next three present possibilities to break the duck.

Blog Entries
    I look forward to reading this in 3 weeks time when we ARE 6-2!! (hopefully).

You've shown great respect to the Tigers there, being a bit soft, rabid??

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks RM, an interesting read. Watched Carlton-Geelong today and I think your rankings are about right. Geelong looked tired and out-of-sorts, were pressed by the Blues all day and at times degenerated into quite sloppy play, a real shock to see. Carlton's mids were excellent and you are right about the indigenous connection, they all looked sharp.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

RM, a good read and pretty accurate. My 2 cents... One of the issues I note over many years it is a 26 week season to make the GF. The teams with younger players often have a good stretch between rounds 1 and 14 but the heavy knocks take their toll from about r15. This is when the teams with proven body strength start coming to the fore... in particulur Geelong and St Kilda. I will throw in Collingwood into this mix - they should be there deep intot September but then again they can implode for unknown reasons on any gven week.

Blog Entries
    You're a bit soft on the Tiges RM.
    what's the story there.

I look forward to reading this in 3 weeks when we are 6-2!!

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Another good read RM. Good to see the Swans are creeping up the rankings.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

God love ya Rabid. Funny AND accurate.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    I'm lovin it RABS, impartial, and looks on the money. Just for the record, do you have a team or do you set the odds for TAB SPORTSBET?

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Thanks. Good perspective.

My team is Sydney. I sit in the Brewongle above the Swans players race. Went to both grand finals. Loving life atm with Swans embarking on a premierhip rampage. I try and remain fair in the rankings though, hope I am achieving this.

Very much so fellow brewongler!!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Mongrel View Post
    My team is Sydney. I sit in the Brewongle above the Swans players race. Went to both grand finals. Loving life atm with Swans embarking on a premierhip rampage. I try and remain fair in the rankings though, hope I am achieving this.
    You certainly do Rabs, don't know how you do it as I find myself completely unable to be impartial when it comes to the Swans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast