Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Swans team vs Brisbane (OFFICIAL teams named)

Kennedy has been great. While he's prone to the occasional miskick, when he hits it right he hits it very well and can be quite damaging. Most of the time his poor kicks seem to be trying to do too much, e.g. trying to spear it in low and it turning into a grubber, etc. With experience he'll get to know his limitations under pressure.

I mean FFS, the kid is picking up 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, as a 21 year old, 18 game player, on just 71% game time. Oh, and only 2 clangers per game, with 74% DE (for what that's worth). I think it's probably easy to forget just how young and inexperienced he is. He hasn't even reached 20 games yet! Just because we recruited him doesn't mean he's automatically at his peak. He's a developing player as much as Nick Smith, Kieran Jack, Craig Bird, Dan Hannebery, Jesse White, etc, etc, etc, and he's preforming bloody well.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

You make some really good points, it's quite easy to forget how young and inexperienced he is and I actually didn't know he'd only played 19 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Kennedy has been great. While he's prone to the occasional miskick, when he hits it right he hits it very well and can be quite damaging. Most of the time his poor kicks seem to be trying to do too much, e.g. trying to spear it in low and it turning into a grubber, etc. With experience he'll get to know his limitations under pressure.

I mean FFS, the kid is picking up 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, as a 21 year old, 18 game player, on just 71% game time. Oh, and only 2 clangers per game, with 74% DE (for what that's worth). I think it's probably easy to forget just how young and inexperienced he is. He hasn't even reached 20 games yet! Just because we recruited him doesn't mean he's automatically at his peak. He's a developing player as much as Nick Smith, Kieran Jack, Craig Bird, Dan Hannebery, Jesse White, etc, etc, etc, and he's preforming bloody well.
    Sure, but apart from the 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, what has Kennedy ever done for us?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Sure, but apart from the 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, what has Kennedy ever done for us?
    Lol...brought peace!

I'm generally happy with Kennedy though with his goals, most have come in junk time (still kicks them though).

I like the nickname Turnover Ted... it's fair to say he'll be under close scrutiny this week... but it's hard to rate a player who's best position is playing a loose in defence. It wasn't his defensive work in the reserves last week that was necessarily the problem, it was his constant fumbling.

Horses for courses didn't demand his selection as I don't think 3 talls has ever worked on the SCG. Certainly next week against Geelong we'll need him.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Walked on water and solved the problems in the middle east!
    Even if he had, it wouldn't be enough for a few on here.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    The majority of RWO's posting on here got what they wanted and Turnover Ted (TT) is back. I found it amusing that his reputation increased the less he played senior football and a wave of support coincided with his talented funny articles. Football however is not a popularity contest. I wish him well,I admire his guts but have little confidence in his performance under pressure where he coughs up free kicks,usually in front of goal. To me the team lost a chance to experiment ,well before the finals to give a different look to the backline without losing or risking too much. I like our current team even with TT in it although I feel Josh Kennedy remains lucky to be in it and he reminds me of Luke Ablett. We play better when he is there so his effect is indirect but the coaches like what he does around the edges. Most of us don't see it.
    Agree on the Ted comments but not sure on Kennedy as yet. I think he is a far better and more effective player than Luke Ablett. For mine Richards adds slowness to the team. I can only think that the selection committee have a thing about the height of the Brisbane forward line. Maybe they want to retain the current structure as best they can so TR in keeps most of it in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    I feel Josh Kennedy remains lucky to be in it and he reminds me of Luke Ablett. We play better when he is there so his effect is indirect but the coaches like what he does around the edges. Most of us don't see it.
    Don't try to lob all of us in with what you believe. I have been very impressed with Kennedy and what he brings to the team. He more than deserves his place in the team.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by honour_the_name View Post
    If there is a need for a third tall defender, I think Barlow could fill this role.
    RWOers just reached for the heart pills.

Anyone who missed Rohan's runs in the ressies last week should try to catch a replay of tonight's Fox Sports Teams. They replayed both of them. Just as exciting as witnessing them at the ground!
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post

I like the nickname Turnover Ted... it's fair to say he'll be under close scrutiny this week... but it's hard to rate a player who's best position is playing a loose in defence. It wasn't his defensive work in the reserves last week that was necessarily the problem, it was his constant fumbling.
    Do you remember his effort in front of goal against Carlton at Etihad Stadium last year? I shudder every time I think of it.

Can't believe the dissing of Kennedy. He has been excellent for us so far this season- I also feel he is being groomed for Kirk's roll. He is one of those exceptionally effective but almost anonymous players- just goes on there does his job, and more often than not you barely notice he played.

As for Teddy coming in, seems the logical choice to me, especially against a team with 2 quality FF and when we have our best defender out (Saying that Grundy is rapidly catching up!). While richards makes mistakes, he generally does his job pretty well imo and I think he was a good pick. You could of rejigged and bought in Rohan or Ves or someone, but imo its the best call for now. How great is it that we have a bit of depth and players that are doing very well in the Seconds can't get a game. Can only be good for keeping our players performing as well as they can- nothing like having a bit of pressure on your spot in the team to make you play well.

While I'm disappointed Bolton is out, I'm kind of glad his body will get a chance to rest and recuperate- he has been down on form this season a bit and I think it may be because he has been carrying a niggling injury or two along the way. Get him rested and right and he'll be ready to go in a couple of months time.