Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sydney's Flag Chances

Veterans List
    Our best is getting better and our worse is also not as bad as it was in the first rounds. We're certainly giving ourselves the best chance to see Roos off in style. But we're entering the injury period and, despite, better-than-usual depth we'd only have to lose a few (Goodes, ROK, Braddy) to come back to the pack. BUT we couldn't ask for a better draw - next week we may get an unsuspecting Cats after a very easy win. It may be the game when Scarlett stops Braddy and Jesse earns his keep up forward.

On the Rookie List
    Barring a Bradbury experience, we are a great chance at 5th.

Although we're capable of attaking well in short spurts, when the "other team" come, they are piling on far too many points. The team of 05 and 06 would rarely let 50+ points be conceded agains the Lions last night.

Lions were on toast and our younger brigade just don't quite have the killer that the team of yor did. St Kilda would have overran us last night.

I know we had injuries but every team has injuries such as Brisbane without Merrett, Sherman etc.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Living in 2005
    At 5-1, I'm comfortable that we are highly likely to be in the finals now (I'd be shocked if we didn't pick up at least 7 more wins), but we probably wont learn if we are really able to challenge until deep into the 2nd half of the season.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHood View Post
    Barring a Bradbury experience, we are a great chance at 5th.

Although we're capable of attaking well in short spurts, when the "other team" come, they are piling on far too many points. The team of 05 and 06 would rarely let 50+ points be conceded agains the Lions last night.

Lions were on toast and our younger brigade just don't quite have the killer that the team of yor did. St Kilda would have overran us last night.

I know we had injuries but every team has injuries such as Brisbane without Merrett, Sherman etc.
    Wasn't this the "ugly Swans" round in 2005? I think we are setting ourselves up better than any other year I've seen. And I think we're playing a hell of a lot better than we were in R1 when we narrowly lost to the Saints - or when we just lost to them last year. If we would have been "overrun" by the Saints I'd have no faith against the Cats at Skilled but I think we might give it a shake.

And in 2005/06 we rarely showed a killer instinct. We complained about that long and hard - but we took a relatively fit team into finals rather than wear them out getting junk points.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Wasn't this the "ugly Swans" round in 2005? I think we are setting ourselves up better than any other year I've seen. And I think we're playing a hell of a lot better than we were in R1 when we narrowly lost to the Saints - or when we just lost to them last year. If we would have been "overrun" by the Saints I'd have no faith against the Cats at Skilled but I think we might give it a shake.

And in 2005/06 we rarely showed a killer instinct. We complained about that long and hard - but we took a relatively fit team into finals rather than wear them out getting junk points.
    We werent a huge scoring team but nor were we a team big on concessions.

Dont get me wrong, I am preferring this style of footy, just a bit unfamiliar as to where this will take us.

I have lots of faith in Roosy and the staff.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Let's not get carried away. Whilst we look hungry & confident apart from Brizzie last night we really haven't beaten anyone of note so far. If we can start beating Geelong Collingwood & the Dogs only then will we have a show for a Top 4 spot.

I was confident we'd make the finals. Am now VERY confident we'll make the finals. But one step at a time as this still is a rebuilding year, believe it or not. (So was Sydney FC's as well. And look how they went this year! )

I still think there is improvement in the team. We have Vespremi to come back as a small forward. And Jessie White needs to find out where he is best suited now we have Bradshaw as our key tall forward. We have depth that I can't recall us having in years. And have gotten rid of the image of having a stodgy slow midfield. We actually have PACE these days.

Early days peoples. We have to keep up with our plan of creeping under the radar once again this season.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    Let's not get carried away. Whilst we look hungry & confident apart from Brizzie last night we really haven't beaten anyone of note so far. If we can start beating Geelong Collingwood & the Dogs only then will we have a show for a Top 4 spot.

I was confident we'd make the finals. Am now VERY confident we'll make the finals. But one step at a time as this still is a rebuilding year, believe it or not. (So was Sydney FC's as well. And look how they went this year! )

I still think there is improvement in the team. We have Vespremi to come back as a small forward. And Jessie White needs to find out where he is best suited now we have Bradshaw as our key tall forward. We have depth that I can't recall us having in years. And have gotten rid of the image of having a stodgy slow midfield. We actually have PACE these days.

Early days peoples. We have to keep up with our plan of creeping under the radar once again this season.

JF
    Who's getting carried away??

A non Swan asked the qn, Others have responded.
    we all realise that we've beaten lesser teams up until Sat night, but we've beaten them pretty convincingly.

No ones getting carried away.

Veterans List
    It's all a matter of stages. First get some wins, then get through the season winning enough for top 4 and not having too many injured - and improving our game over the season. If we end up in the finals - especially Top 4, anything could happen and it'll depend on the mental strength of the group.

So no-one is getting ahead of ourselves. But the off-season recruiting suggested Roos was not planning on going out quietly. The rest of the competition hardly noticed but we all did - and were ignored. And now it's evident for all - we're on top and will be hunted. But, even though I expected something special this year, the start of this season has exceeded all my expectations. Wait for the clamour if we find a way to beat the Cats at the Cattery!

On the Rookie List
    yeah I agree. Although the back line has looked brilliant at times running us out of defence, and we're making it tough for people to have set shots or much chance to get boot to ball in our 50 ... we've got this issue with balls slipping out the back. Fev kicked about 3 soccer style goals on Saturday and it happened several times during Saints game. Something to fix because it's giving good sides easy goals at times.

On the Rookie List
    I'd be happy to get within 5 goals of geelong down at that @@@@hole of a place but I'll definately be thinking a flag chance if we can somehow win, but them and the saints are still the teams IMHO. But depending on injuries and a miracle lapse in form etc, we are a definate for top 8 and like others have said, the next 3-4 weeks will determine top 4 chances.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    I'd be happy to get within 5 goals of geelong down at that @@@@hole of a place ....
    Geelong is in fact a very nice town --- much more appealing than Punchbowl, Lakembah, Rooty Hill, Revesby, Liverpool, Blacktown or Pemulwuy for that matter.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama View Post
    Geelong is in fact a very nice town --- much more appealing than Punchbowl, Lakembah, Rooty Hill, Revesby, Liverpool, Blacktown or Pemulwuy for that matter.
    Wasnt referring to the town, although the new bypass through there has been a godsend. The staduim is what I meant, it is a dump of a place, even with all the renovations and new stand. Ah what the heck, the whole joint is a dump!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12