Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans V Cats

Veterans List
    According to Bomber in the Hun:
    "We played well and we played the sort of footy we wanted to play and I really look forward to playing Sydney because they are a good hard, physical team who have a lot of spirit," he said.

"They are playing as good as that team can possibly play. . ."

That's dissing us. I'd think there's a lot of improvement left in the Swans playing group.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Smith and Jack? What do you reckon?
    Jack would normally take Ablett wouldn't he?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    With not much success last time. I'd put Smith on Ablett, and let Jack run free to do his own thing. Their 3 talls (Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly) will be covered by our 3 tall defenders (Reg, LRT and Teddy) which means 2 of Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly or Malceski will have to match up on Johnson and Chapman. Mattner on Chapman and Malceski on Johnson perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    "They are playing as good as that team can possibly play. . ."

That's dissing us. I'd think there's a lot of improvement left in the Swans playing group.
    That should be quoted, photocopied, and stuck on the locker of every single player at the Swans. With a big Bull@@@@! stamped over the top of it

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    With not much success last time. I'd put Smith on Ablett, and let Jack run free to do his own thing. Their 3 talls (Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly) will be covered by our 3 tall defenders (Reg, LRT and Teddy) which means 2 of Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly or Malceski will have to match up on Johnson and Chapman. Mattner on Chapman and Malceski on Johnson perhaps?
    I think Johnson and Chapman are real worries for us - in fact their whole forward line is pretty dangerous - I am not sure that we have the cattle to beat them if their midfield gets on top. All five of those Geelong players you listed are good on a lead, if their ball carriers are given space and time through the centre we are stuffed. It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff approach this game.

Mooney - LRT
    Pods - Grundy
    Hawkins - Ted
    Johnson - Smith
    Chapman - Kennelly
    Ablett - McVeigh
    Bartel - Kirk

On the Rookie List
    It's a case of what Geelong will turn up. I watched them lose to Melbourne and thought 'yes, cats era finally coming to an end like we've been predicting (or should I say hoping for).' It is true Richmond are probably closer to our reserves than any other team in the AFL, but watching a weakened Cats team carve up yesterday, with Scarlett and Ablett set to return next week, does give you a lot to think about. I'm glad we weren't playing them yesterday.

If I've had a criticism of the Cats over the past few years it would have to be that they are sometimes all class with less passion.

Heart can win us this game, but we need to rattle them early, get the crowd quiet and hopefully some of their stars will go into their shells. I wanted to be 7 and 3 at least after the Hawks game and we're on track for that. This was a game that I'd afforded to lose simply because nobody has beaten them at Skilled since 2007, so for that reason I'm seeing this as a bonus chance.

All depends on how we pull up over the next few days. They say day two after a big game is the hardest, so let's see who is standing after today.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    A little birdie tells me we should be thinking of a long-term replacement for Seaby as his ankle problem is that it's broken and will be announced later today
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Mooney - LRT
    Pods - Grundy
    Hawkins - Ted
    Johnson - Smith
    Chapman - Kennelly
    Ablett - McVeigh
    Bartel - Kirk
    Kirk's latched onto Selwood the past 4 times we've played. Selwood plays almost exclusively in the midfield whereas Bartel can be situated on either half-back or half-forward so Selwood would be the better matchup for Kirk.

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Good point DA. Every single commentary on the Swans prior to yesterday referenced that we'd only beaten bottom sides. No-one seems to have noticed the Cats' record. The 5 sides beaten by Geelong have won just 4 games between them.
    Just to point out we haven't been anybody above us either...
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Mooney - LRT
    Pods - Grundy
    Hawkins - Ted
    Johnson - Smith
    Chapman - Kennelly
    Ablett - McVeigh
    Bartel - Kirk
    in my view:
    Grundy - Mooney (further up the ground better for Reg)
    LRT - Hawkins (The twin towers. Hello? Statue?)
    Pods - Teddy (mobility and speed on the lead)
    Johnson - Kennelly (whilst it would be better to play Mattner on him to nullify him, I reckon put Tiger on him and we play out through him - Johnson not know for defensive skills)
    Chapman - Mattner (we're going to lose this contest probably, Mattner will probably do better as he's better in the air)
    Ablett - McVeigh / Jack to rotate (again, we'll need to run off him. The cats rucks / onballers really look after Guddy too)
    Selwood - Kirk (good tough match-up)
    Bartel - Smiff (will be interesting! Smiff to learn a lot.)
    Ling - Goodes (I don't think we'll have much choice here)

Please please please I hope Corey doesn't play. I'm less concerned with Scarlett!
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Roos would be better off ignoring the Geelong-Richmond tape altogether and refer to the Carlton game. It's a cliche but defensive matchups will take care of themselves if we're on top in midfield.

To beat Geelong we will need to beat their midfield, I don't think breaking even is enough. Carlton showed the importance of speed against them so I think Rohan is just about a shoo in to debut this week.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast