Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Review Panel is a joke

Match Review Panel is a joke

How can Zac Dawson be deemed to have no case to answer - arrives late to a marking contest and strikes an opponent's head with his elbow.

He's now got away with a few cheap shots (round one against Tadgh included) but his number will come up. Hopefully!

Quote from MRP:

Contact between St Kilda?s Zac Dawson and Essendon?s Brent Stanton from the fourth quarter of Sunday?s match was assessed. The panel said that Dawson jumped in the air in an attempt to spoil a marking attempt by the Essendon player. He stopped his motion to spoil when Stanton had taken the mark and his elbow made contact with Stanton in his follow-through. The action was not deemed to be a striking action and no further action was taken.

Must be the only player in the league who attempts to spoil with his hands down and a leading elbow ...
    Last edited by SwansFan1972; 17th May 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added quote from MRP

I thought the same thing. Watching the game live, I thought he would get 2 weeks at least. The MRP is so inconsistent it is beyond ridiculous.
    Swannies for life!

Blog Entries
    Yet, Hair pulling is a big no, no.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    And Nason's hair just begs to be pulled
    wonder if there was a market on how long it would take?
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

A player can be more severely punished for back chatting an umpire - 50m - than for knocking out one of our blokes ....

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    Didn't know Fremantle was a women's club, that was absolutely hilarious and absolute stupidity from the MRP.

Last edited by Matt79; 18th May 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Cannot reproduce whole articles.

The bolded part of the post was absolutely hilarious.

We're playing the Fremantle Ladies Football Club this weekend, guys.

Hayden Ballantyne is nearly as annoying as Stevie Milne. Someone will sort him out big time sometime soon.

Just on umpiring, was it me or was there loads more 50 metres paid this week? I thought the average would be say, 5 tops per game. I think there would've been like 10-15 in the three games I saw. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    Just on umpiring, was it me or was there loads more 50 metres paid this week? I thought the average would be say, 5 tops per game. I think there would've been like 10-15 in the three games I saw. What's up with that?
    Flavour of the week ... the AFL umpiring department trot out a new area to focus on each week and the three blind mice become zealots on it the following weekend...

then it is summarily forgotten and everyone is left with a new grey area to be confused by.

Digressing ... the Zac Dawson decision flies in the face of all the decisions over the last few seasons where high contact was deemed to be incidental or accidental (most particularly in the act of bumping), but because it was high, the player got rubbed out anyway.

Zac is a very very lucky boy, but the footy gods will get him - assuming his own selection committee doesn't get in first!

Another strange decision, although not necessarily inconsistent with this year's other examples involving David Hille - he has also been very lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast