Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans set to abandon Western Sydney/ANZ Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by andyn View Post
    In the Premier League, the crowds are greatly restricted and its hard to get tickets unless you're a member. If we can expand our club's support so that there is an average crowd of 40,000 and people need to think ahead to make sure they get a seat, that should be our first priority.
    There's two sides to this. The SCG will be a 50,000 seat stadium when the next renovations are complete, and 40,000 (sydney or near sydney based) members is certainly a eager site in such a ground. It should be kept in mind though that some tickets are usually reserved for the other team (I don't know the figure, but I imagine somewhere up to 5000), leaving only 5000 tickets for general sale plus any member resells. It assures a near full-house every game but I worry about the appeal to potential fans if getting a ticket becomes too hard. Additionally, there would be very little growth room for new members, adding to the exclusiveness of a game that should be for all.
    10100111001 ;-)

Living in 2005
    When the capacity is 50K, a Sydney member cap of 28 or 30K (more than reasonable) would be put in place, allowing the Members area, corp and away fans plenty of room and around 10-15K a week for new and casual fans.

I think it will allow for real growth and it's a realistic stadium size for us. Let's remember we have made the finals most years since ANZ has been open (including a Premiership), and despite some great crowds there, have we even threatened to get near 30K Sydney based members in that time?

We will have a 50K capacity ground, in the heart our of "official zones" from 2012 that we train on, have our offices at and has been our home since 1982. I really can't see the value in being out at ANZ for any reason once GWS comes in and Sheedy converts the masses

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    How about a few games at the good ol' Lake oval...........although the grandstand could use a coat of paint....... and a fence...........and some posts........whoops sorry daydreaming again.
    The Lake Oval(if we're talking about our old ground down in South Melbourne) no longer exists as far as I know.

It is now Bob Jane Stadium which is used for South Melbourne Soccer Club and is a rectangular stadium.

Austadiums.com :: Bob Jane Stadium

The only link to us the ground still has is the old main grandstand which is now disused.
    Last edited by Adelaide Swan; 18th May 2010 at 04:57 PM.

Suits me big time. I can get to the ressies games without drama. I don't like ANZ. I have to walk a hell of a distance to even reach my bus, or the game (whichever), and I am not as spry as I think I am and its taking a toll. Of course I am sure the Swans are not taking this particular problem into consideration, but I am. However, if the SCG can loo it up like the ANZ I would be a lot happier!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

The Lake Oval(if we're talking about our old ground down in South Melbourne) no longer exists as far as I know.

It is now Bob Jane Stadium which is used for South Melbourne Soccer Club and is a rectangular stadium

What a shame. I have fond memories of standing in the rain in the outer on steel beer cans trying to see the game through the fog and being unable to recognise the players because of the mud. the highlight of the day being the hot pies at half time (14 cents each) and the occasional swannies win.
    I guess the point i'm trying to make is that either stadium is fine and maybe people are being a bit precious.

Proabably the swans won't have the crowds to play 3 games a year out at Homebush, but i'd like to think we'd retain the flexibility of choosing to play marquee matches there.

As beaussie says, throwing away a good chunk of Sydney if we play out of the SCG only. It's a @@@@house venue to get to if you live north of the bridge as opposed to Olympic Park which is heaps easier.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    As beaussie says, throwing away a good chunk of Sydney if we play out of the SCG only. It's a @@@@house venue to get to if you live north of the bridge as opposed to Olympic Park which is heaps easier.
    ???

I take the train from Hornsby to Central and walk 15 minutes to the SCG. If it's raining or you don't like walking there's a bus. If you drive the ED takes you from the Cahill/Tunnel to Moore Park, a bare 200 meters from the car park. Hard to get to?
    10100111001 ;-)

Regular in the Side
    The Australian bid for the World soccer Cups in 2018 and 2020 include the building of a brand new stadium at Blacktown to accommodate 40,000. In light of this news, I believe that such a notation, (despite being submitted to FIFA ) is unlikely.

For one, there is no need for such a stadium in long term, noting that the NRL(the Eels and the Panthers) and Soccer (the new West Sydney Rovers) have two great 20,000 plus all seater rectangle venues located at Parramatta and Penrith. With this redevelopment at the Showground at Homebush, GWS also has a perfect ground.

Second, FIFA will never permit one city to host three venues in a given World Cup. (Hence, the misleading assertion in Australia's submission that this new stadium is located at Blacktown, a separate city to Sydney).

I suspect that the Australian World Cup people still want Docklands in Melbourne as a venue, and hope that closer to 2022, the current AFL establishment will gone, with a new Commission willing to be more reasonable than Dementrio and Co.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I like the current 8/3 split of games between the SCG and Homebush (felt 4 at ANZ in 2008-09 was too many), so when GWS come in we'll play Collingwood and the derby games there along with one other team (usually against a top team like Geelong). True, the SCG is the perfect capacity/size for us now but it's good for us to play at grounds with different dimensions. Even the Cats don't get to play all their home games in Geelong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Lalor goes on to make this claim in his article :

"The Swans have played three games a year at ANZ as part of the deal, ... and the matches have struggled to attract fans".

Really? If he'd done his homework, he would have known that the biggest crowds we've ever played to in Sydney were at Homebush. In fact, the 10 biggest crowds there have averaged more than 61,000 per match, something the SCG can never equal.
    Good point. Add to that the superior facilities and public transport options for ANZ Stadium when compared to the SCG. I also wonder what playing all games at the SCG would mean for our bottom line when it comes to the 3 games superpass memberships where alot of supporters appear to take up the ANZ Stadium option.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanner View Post
    given you live in surry hills not suprising comment.
    It is a long way from the City. Must be a whole 20 minutes from Central by train.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Isn't Western Sydney a @@@@hole anyway?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast