Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans set to abandon Western Sydney/ANZ Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    The public transport thing I do wonder about, granted. I don't know why it isn't free to the SCG. And I'll grant you that the Northern Beaches have never seen decent public transport and probably never will thanks to a combination of NIMBY'S, political give/take and a lack of funding. Guess I should put off those thoughts about buying in Dee Why, heh? Kudos for making the trek though, it sounds arduos :s

I didn't think I mentioned I lived in Dee Why!!!! (read it again and realised the co-incidence)

but yeah, I dont know why those shuttles in particular arent free. And your right we'll never get decent transport being in blue ribbon liberal territory. I wish on game days they'd just extend the bus journey from Wynyard to terminate at Driver Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post

I didn't think I mentioned I lived in Dee Why!!!! (read it again and realised the co-incidence)

but yeah, I dont know why those shuttles in particular arent free. And your right we'll never get decent transport being in blue ribbon liberal territory. I wish on game days they'd just extend the bus journey from Wynyard to terminate at Driver Ave.
    Just move to Blacktown. Close to Rooty Hill as well for GWS matches. The Mayor of Blacktown throws in a free pair of desert boots as well.
    Last edited by Bas; 20th May 2010 at 09:51 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

For me the only good thing about not playing at ANZ is that it is easier for me to get to the SCG if I have to go from work. Going to ANZ after finishing work at 6pm means I barely make it before the first bounce whereas I can get to the SCG to see the end of the reserves. (Yes, I work in the city).
    Red & White forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    For me the only good thing about not playing at ANZ is that it is easier for me to get to the SCG if I have to go from work. Going to ANZ after finishing work at 6pm means I barely make it before the first bounce whereas I can get to the SCG to see the end of the reserves. (Yes, I work in the city).
    On weekends?

Opportunistic Join Date Bob Neil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/m-to-build-ground-for-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frg7mf-1225867938889
    GWS and the AFL are reluctant to schedule anything but blockbuster matches at ANZ for fear the small crowds in an 81,000-seat venue will be bad publicity for the start-up club.

The new showground stadium will seat about 30,000 fans.
    Ummm, so $45 M in taxes are going toward a new medium-sized stadium next to big one for fear of bad publicity if the big one is not well populated! White elephant(s) anyone?
    How's about they just throw a few tarps over the empty seats at ANZ?

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Neil View Post
    Ummm, so $45 M in taxes are going toward a new medium-sized stadium next to big one for fear of bad publicity if the big one is not well populated! White elephant(s) anyone?
    How's about they just throw a few tarps over the empty seats at ANZ?
    Agree with your logic, but the more high standard AFL grounds we can get in this city, the better.

As a lazy bastid I'm all for more/most/all games at the SCG, esp. if more seating will make it able to handle the usual crowds for Swans games, even blockbusters. Easier commute there for me, I don't like huge slick stadiums anyway, and after the game one can pubcrawl one's way to a bus or taxi stand of one's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    The fewer games at Homebush the better.
    I hate the place. All games at SCG please
    SYDNEY SWANS.....THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN LIVING MEMORY.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post

I live on the beaches, and whilst it involves catching 2 buses, I find it quicker to get to the SCG by a fair amount. In terms of driving, the SCG is a huge amount quicker for me.

Regardless, ANZ as a venue sucks. The seats are too far away, they face the wrong way and it has no soul.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Regardless, ANZ as a venue sucks. The seats are too far away, they face the wrong way and it has no soul.
    My thoughts exactly.

I actually like Homebush as a venue, and look forward to when we play there.

Having Homebush as a second home ground adds another dimension to supporting the Swans in Sydney, and the current arrangements are definitely superior to the pre-premiership era of the SCG.

I think it's in the team's best interests that we play there several times a year. IMO, we have a better chance of developing a more fast-running style of play at Homebush, because it's a longer ground, and as we all know, moving the ball forward on the SCG more often than not involves running out wide, rather than straight down the centre corridor.

And in my experience, the atmosphere at any ground depends largely on what's happening on the field. The venue is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    And in my experience, the atmosphere at any ground depends largely on what's happening on the field. The venue is irrelevant.
    Yep, very true.....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast