Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans set to abandon Western Sydney/ANZ Stadium

Thumbs down Swans set to abandon Western Sydney/ANZ Stadium

Good news for GWS with the Sydney Showground redevelopment set to go ahead, however very disappointing from the Swans perspective. I can't believe we are going to give the entire western Sydney region over to GWS by not playing any games at ANZ Stadium. Our biggest ever crowds have always been at ANZ Stadium. Seriously stupid move by the club if true.

How are we expected to grow our crowds whilst being based full time at the SCG? Do we represent Sydney or just the eastern suburbs?

$45m to build ground for Greater Western Sydney
    Peter Lalor
    May 18, 2010 12:00AM

THE division of NSW's AFL notional tribes will soon be complete, with the state government set to announce it will subsidise a redevelopment of the Sydney Showground, a move that will free the Swans from the code's commitment to the adjacent ANZ Stadium.

The Australian understands the AFL, the state government and the new Greater Western Sydney club will make an announcement next week.

Under the agreed terms, the government will put in an estimated $45 million to convert the showground into an AFL stadium for the GWS, which is due to enter the competition in 2012.

The showground is part of the Homebush Olympic precinct which also contains ANZ Stadium, but the two venues are run by separate bodies.

GWS and the AFL are reluctant to schedule anything but blockbuster matches at ANZ for fear the small crowds in an 81,000-seat venue will be bad publicity for the start-up club.

The new showground stadium will seat about 30,000 fans.

GWS will play nine matches at the showground and will take over the three matches the AFL is contractually obliged to play at ANZ Stadium as part of the arrangement that effectively divides Sydney in two.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225867938889

Happy and I know it
    Well, I'm happy. Even though I live in Parramatta and ANZ is closer to me, I still hate that stadium. I'll be glad to have all our games at the SCG again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaussie View Post

How are we expected to grow our crowds whilst being based full time at the SCG?
    We are not expected to grow our crowd - we are expected to lose supporters to GWS.

The SCG can host 45,000 these days and after the next stage of redevelopment that could be 50,000. More than big enough capacity for the Swans to grow crowds.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The article doesn't specifically say that the Swans won't play any more matches at ANZ, only that they are free from contractual obligations to do so. You would imagine that for blockbusters like the Collingwood game, they would still have to play at ANZ, because the crowds they draw for those matches are greater than the capacity of the SCG.

Lalor goes on to make this claim in his article :

"The Swans have played three games a year at ANZ as part of the deal, ... and the matches have struggled to attract fans".

Really? If he'd done his homework, he would have known that the biggest crowds we've ever played to in Sydney were at Homebush. In fact, the 10 biggest crowds there have averaged more than 61,000 per match, something the SCG can never equal.

Unfortunately, some journalists in Sydney let their prejudices get in the way of objective reporting. Last week, Sebastian Hassett reported in the Herald that Homebush was not part of Australia's bid for the 2018/2022 World Cup. Two days later, when the bid books were published, he was shown to be wrong. Makes you wonder why he bothered making the misleading statement in the first place.

I would think a local Derby game would be played at ANZ for rivarly round ? When I was in Sydney I was living out west but still preferred the SCG to ANZ.

On the Rookie List
    At least we'd have a decent chance of beating collingwood at the SCG instead of ANZ IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    At least we'd have a decent chance of beating collingwood at the SCG instead of ANZ IMHO!
    Not sure why you think the SCG affords us any special protection. Collingwood beat us the last time we played them there. Actually, Collingwood have beat us wherever we've played them recently.

Living in 2005
    I like the idea of us losing our contractual obligation, but as Ugg pointed out, it doesn't mean the Swans wont negotiate something with ANZ for big games.

I'd prefer to play GWS at the SCG anyway, I don't like the idea of playing on their turf just for a crowd and I'd prefer our finals to be at the SCG too (Finals money goes to the AFL, so it's all about the best home advantage IMO)

The fewer games at Homebush the better.
    -

That's bloody fantastic news. 11 games at the SCG and the local derby at ANZ is absolutely ideal.

Imagine 45,000 jammed into the SCG against the Pies. The place would rock.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast