Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indigenous magic isn't a gift - it comes with hard graf

Indigenous magic isn't a gift - it comes with hard graf

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/i...0518-vc6z.html

Interesting from Adam. Certainly I would expect Jetta will be better with a couple more hard pre-seasons under his bel
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Great article Adam.....re-inforces what ROKlobster et.al. have been saying on this forum for years about the stereotyping of players.

LRT silky hair, Jetta silky skills.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

So 2 national stories pinched from me in one week! Not bad. Come on everyone slay me again for daring to suggest that there is no such thing as indigenous magic...they are just EXACTLY the same as everyone else. When Stevie J or Didak or Milne is brilliant it's 'cos they're glorious players and they train harder to perfect their miracle skills....when Neon Leon does it, or Bennell, or Jurrah or Goodes or Rioli or Motlop, it's indigenous magic and they were gifted it....just listen to the commentators EVERY time....

Can you imagine any New Zealand press or commentators saying that Benji Marshall's skills are in any way related to his race? They would be FIRED on the spot. I'm not kidding.

As they sing in the musical "Avenue Q"...."Everyone's a Little Bit Racist"
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

In case you've forgotten I challenged those who were crying out for us to draft indigenous boys 'cos we lacked for pace and flair. I had the temerity to suggest that race was not a factor and that we should draft players with pace and flair.

Two words

Gary Rohan
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    In case you've forgotten I challenged those who were crying out for us to draft indigenous boys 'cos we lacked for pace and flair. I had the temerity to suggest that race was not a factor and that we should draft players with pace and flair.

Two words

Gary Rohan
    But we all know Rangas ruin the team photo. What were the recruiters thinking...
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Can you imagine any New Zealand press or commentators saying that Benji Marshall's skills are in any way related to his race? They would be FIRED on the spot. I'm not kidding.

As they sing in the musical "Avenue Q"...."Everyone's a Little Bit Racist"
    After Sunday's effort you may to use another player.

For the record I'm not a racist, I discriminate against each race equally.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good article, thoughtful and measured. And certainly deals with the 'silky' racist stereotype. Then on reflection I thought Adam may have had another racist stereotype in his sights: the slack and work-shy indigenous. His own career is the best possible refutation and gives strong encouragement to any youngster.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I don't think he's denying that there are some elements of the typical Indigenous physique, physiology, whatever that lend themselves to certain styles of play. What he has an issue with is that people tend to assume that this is all that indigenous players have, and all that is needed, in order to succeed, which is quite clearly not true. It's no secret that indigenous players TEND to play with more flair, and TEND to have more freakish skills. The problem is that people usually focus on that, and not the behind the scenes work that allows these players to demonstrate these skills at the highest level.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    A freakin great article. More power to you Goodesy.

Now go out and flog those indigenous bros playing for Freo in the Hutton/Cook Cup.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    LRT silky hair, Jetta silky skills.
    Made me laugh Satch!

Excellent article from Goodsey.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    I don't think he's denying that there are some elements of the typical Indigenous physique, physiology, whatever that lend themselves to certain styles of play. What he has an issue with is that people tend to assume that this is all that indigenous players have, and all that is needed, in order to succeed, which is quite clearly not true. It's no secret that indigenous players TEND to play with more flair, and TEND to have more freakish skills. The problem is that people usually focus on that, and not the behind the scenes work that allows these players to demonstrate these skills at the highest level.
    I'd agree with most of that. Goodes is right, particularly in reference to players that have remained at AFL level well beyond any so-called 'magic' ability. You don't play 200 games without real determination. I would suggest Tony Shaw is one of the worst commentators for lumping Indigenous players together (he uses the term ?innate ability? a lot), as if there is something special about them just because they are indigenous born, regardless of commonalities displayed on the football field.

Nevertheless there are genetic traits that seem to lend themselves more readily to certain types of activities ? particular ?magic? football skills might be an example - which are found more commonly in Indigenous, rather than non-Indigenous Australians. That of course does not mean that all Indigenous players have those traits or that no non-Indigenous players do, but it does help explain why there is an over-representation of Indigenous Australians playing AFL football in relation to their general population. Recognition of Indigenous players? contribution to the game, as well as the cultural / historical implications that underpins that contribution, is important to highlight.

However, I would not lump a player like Goodes (who I always think of as an out-and-out Rolls Royce on the football field) in with a player like Jeff Farmer, or Byron Pickett for example, as their skills sets are not really that similar at all - regardless of what many commentators may say on air.

There is a fine line between recognition and the perpetuation of stereotypes (of all types) and Adam Goodes has done a good job of pointing that out in his article.

Blog Entries
    Hard silk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast