Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kids shine through

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    jetta finally played in the right position. I just feel that first goal will be the start of something special for him, someone give him a handball over the top into the goal square early next week please.
    did anyone notice his 60m odd torp in the last quarer, pouring rain rebounding out of defence on the eastern wing and absolutely pumped it to our 50m line.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Played strong, done fine. (Apologies to Jack Gibson)
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    did anyone notice his 60m odd torp in the last quarer, pouring rain rebounding out of defence on the eastern wing and absolutely pumped it to our 50m line.
    Yes, and it looked effortless. Dare I say silky smooth?

I also noticed some absolute scrubbers from him as well.

It was a strange performance from Jetstar. I'd have been happy to see him spend a few weeks recharging the batteries in the 2's for the past few weeks, yet yesterday he put in probably his finest half of footy for us in the 2nd half. He also coupled it with probably his worst performance disposal wise. He's kicking skills were sublime earlier in the year, but yesterday he was very ordinary in that department.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Jack was excellent

It was a strange performance from Jetstar. I'd have been happy to see him spend a few weeks recharging the batteries in the 2's for the past few weeks, yet yesterday he put in probably his finest half of footy for us in the 2nd half. He also coupled it with probably his worst performance disposal wise. He's kicking skills were sublime earlier in the year, but yesterday he was very ordinary in that department.
    Agree, but slippery yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Played strong, done fine. (Apologies to Jack Gibson)
    It was played strong done good.

Some other quotes from Jack Gibson, snipped from the Unofficial Bulldogs (League) Supporter site - The Kennel:

Played strong, done good
    One of his most famous lines.

'Ding Dong the witch is dead'
    Gibson quotes the title of the song from The Wizard of Oz at the start of his post-game speech to fans after his Parramatta Eels side win the club their first-ever Australian Rugby League premiership title in 1981 after thirty four years in the competition. Gibson then promptly ended the speech and went back to his celebrating players.

He's getting closer.
    When Mal Meninga had missed a succession of penalty goal attempts during the second Ashes Test in 1984 and another chance hit the upright.

He is about as big as Clive Churchill was when he played and he owns an ugly dog.
    When asked about the weaknesses of his former Parramatta charge Paul Taylor.

I think he must have an egg-timer - every four minutes, he blows the whistle.
    On Queensland referee Barry Gomersall.

In football, if you are standing still, you're going backwards fast.

Kick it to the seagulls!
    Gibson shows his passion for constant innovation in his coaching.
    Gibson told a young Peter Sterling to kick the ball into open spaces rather than into the opposition's hands at the end of his team's set of six tackles in possession; seagulls often congregate on empty spaces on sports fields in Australia.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.
    Gibson often put trust above pure playing ability when selecting teams.

That guy is so quick, he can switch off the light and get into bed before the room is dark.
    Gibson making an assessment on fast winger Andrew Ettingshausen during his summary of a match on television.

The use of video evidence is not always conclusive, but it sure beats the memory bank of most witnesses.
    Gibson is a massive supporter of modern technology being used in top-grade Rugby League to clear up any decisions that the match referee may not be able to adjudicate on definitively.

There is nothing in the contract that says a football coach has to be sane or a good loser.
    Jack on the the science of coaching.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
    One of his favourite sayings.

They'd boo Santa Claus, this mob.
    On the Lang Park crowd during a State of Origin series.

They all seem to limp a little extra when they are replaced.
    After a player was replaced during the 1984 Origin series.

Waiting for Cronulla to win a premiership is like leaving the porch lamp on for Harold Holt.
    Gibson on Cronulla Sharks' long premiership drought.

'The Last Word' by Jack Gibson (with Ian Heads)
    The game today is entirely different to when I played. But I still think it's pretty smart. Maybe the biggest change lies in the simple fact that if you're a bit slow today, mentally or physically, you're not going to survive.

'Played Tough, Done Good' by Jack Gibson
    To win a championship, you've got to have a nucleus of five or six real tough, hard competitors. To win anything, the team's got to think tough and that infiltrates into the individual. You've got to have a tough leader.
    The big test in football is how a captain leads under conditions of adversity.

Unsourced
    The day that God invented Rugby League he didn't do anything else but sit around and feel good.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for setting me straight. I am happy to have provoked all that!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Hey! I don't follow NAB Rising Star that much but over recent weeks the noms haven't exactly been players that have torn the game apart. Do you think Rohan would be in the mix for a nom this week or were there some other youngsters that had blinders on the Weekend. I'm not saying Gary def deserves one, I'm sure he will get one at some stage, I'm just saying was he the best of an half decent bunch on the Weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Hey! I don't follow NAB Rising Star that much but over recent weeks the noms haven't exactly been players that have torn the game apart. Do you think Rohan would be in the mix for a nom this week or were there some other youngsters that had blinders on the Weekend. I'm not saying Gary def deserves one, I'm sure he will get one at some stage, I'm just saying was he the best of an half decent bunch on the Weekend?
    Fyfe at Freo was one of the BOG against us. He's definitely on track for this week.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Fyfe at Freo was one of the BOG against us. He's definitely on track for this week.
    Cool. Thanks for the response.

Fyfe got charged for contact with an umpire. Can escape with a fine with an early plea. Wonder if that affects his chances! I know it does if you get suspended?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast