Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans and the umpires

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    i actually thought there were a few throws not called today
    Me too.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Sure I was frustrated by the performance generally by late in Q4, but I just absolutely blew up after Rohan was collected head-high, front-on, in a reckless challenge by a player who never had possession of the ball and was going over the top.

Right. In. Front. Of. The. Umpire.

We are deprived of our #1 ruckman, who we desperately need because our #2 is out injured, for 2 of the most critical games of the season, because the AFL decrees that the head is so sacrosanct that you can't even tackle someone vigorously around their midriff if it may have any possible ill-effects for the noggin of the tacklee; yet when a young player of ours putting his head over the footy has his head removed, it's play on.

@@@@ this bunch of absolute @@@@ing moronic @@@@wits, was something like my immediate reaction.
    The most outrageous inaction of the day.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I agree with the thrust of this thread.

What is going on re umpires not paying frees to Gary Rohan for high contact on him? It happened in the Geelong match, against the Dogs and then again today. I have photos from the Dogs match where the Dogs player has both arms wrapped around Rohan, above his shoulders. He didn't duck into it - previous frames show that he stood up, rather than ducked. No free paid. Has he offended an umpire or two in his previous incarnation? Or just the audacity to go to the Swans?

Re the free kicks, evening up etc. Has anyone else noticed occasions when umpires have not played advantage when it was definitely a disadvantage to us to be called back? Why call the free in the first place? Because in calling the free, they even up, but by not playing advantage they penalise us, stopping our run forward.

When will this be seen to be what it is? When does it become cheating? When does cheating become corruption? What do the Swans have to do to ensure that their players' heads will be protected by the umpires? Whatever is or isn't happening, I am heartily sick of it and so are the other people posting in this thread. And why isn't the AFL addressing the issue?

It's not about winning or losing, nor sour grapes - it's about fairness, consistency and our players being given the protection they need.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    i actually thought there were a few throws not called today
    We were commenting on that whilst watching it on TV. We thought there had been a rule change it was that bad.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Regular in the Side
    My issue is not so much a "we woz rob" mentality, (I leave that to the Round 1 game against St Kilda). In this instance the Dockers were overall the better side, and clearly so in the first half.

The problem I have is the obsession that some of the umpires have to blow their whistle every 90 seconds or so. Consequently, as a spectator you are bracing yourself, not to see some great footy, but to hear the constant blowing of the whistle. The game is losing its body contact impact, and becoming like basketball.

What really irritates me is when an umpire awards a free kick in a situation where clearly he is relying, not on what he saw on the balance of probabilities, but on pure speculation and guess work. The free kick against Paul Bevan in the third quarter that led to a Fremantle goal, (and they kicked at least 4 goals from free kicks), was a case in question. Besides the fact that there was no body contact, there was no prospect that umpire Michael Avon could have seen any such body contact. He just guessed. That free kick and resultant goal ended the Swans? momentum at that time effectively ending the game as a contest.

This fixated whistle blowing is an issue that the AFL can not put their heads in the sand. The metropolitan areas of Sydney represents a huge competitive environment for the three winter based football codes, AFL, NRL and Rugby Union. This competitive battle is particularly acute with the introduction in 2012 of a Greater Western Sydney AFL team, and the consequent need for the Swans to thereafter survive.

I was extremely disappointed by the way the Sydney-Fremantle games were administrated by the umpires. The umpires effectively dominated the game by relentless and often very very soft free kicks. Further critical decisions were made that had a significant impact on the game.

As someone who great up on Rugby League, at least you are not bombarded with constant free kicks, and where some appropriate and reasonable amount of body contact is permissible; witness a 2007 New South Wales-Queensland State of Origin game where the first free kick arose 14 minutes into the second half.

On the Rookie List
    The Umpires come from Melbourne and have a subconscious hate for Sydney that goes back generations. I don't think they intentionally cheat except with say Barry hall who they wanted to have power over because the umpires are often frustrated alpha type men. The only games I ever remember where we got fair umpiring were the 3 Grand Finals and we were also lucky in the 2005 Geelong final that Kirky was not pinged for dropping the ball!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    What really irritates me is when an umpire awards a free kick in a situation where clearly he is relying, not on what he saw on the balance of probabilities, but on pure speculation and guess work. The free kick against Paul Bevan in the third quarter that led to a Fremantle goal, (and they kicked at least 4 goals from free kicks), was a case in question. Besides the fact that there was no body contact, there was no prospect that umpire Michael Avon could have seen any such body contact. He just guessed. That free kick and resultant goal ended the Swans? momentum at that time effectively ending the game as a contest.
    ROK was unlucky to get a HTB free in exactly the same circumstance. There was no prior opportunity and the umpire was on the wrong side of the contest to make a call on whether he was making a effort, which he was.
    Very frustrating. As I stated earlier, 17 free kicks in one qtr of footy is OTT. The AFL need to do something because they are creating a game that is impossible for an umpire to keep up with and appropriately mediate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I'm completely over the last quarter square up. It's embarrassing! They always pay us frees coming off our defensive line in the last quarter, I'm sure just to even up the tally! Maggots!

Someone please tell me I am imagining this?
    Perfect example of a 'square up': All afternoon, Goodes was being held by his arm as he tried to get the ball. But only late in the final quarter, the game lost, did he finally get paid a free for this. I was livid.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Sure I was frustrated by the performance generally by late in Q4, but I just absolutely blew up after Rohan was collected head-high, front-on, in a reckless challenge by a player who never had possession of the ball and was going over the top.

Right. In. Front. Of. The. Umpire.

We are deprived of our #1 ruckman, who we desperately need because our #2 is out injured, for 2 of the most critical games of the season, because the AFL decrees that the head is so sacrosanct that you can't even tackle someone vigorously around their midriff if it may have any possible ill-effects for the noggin of the tacklee; yet when a young player of ours putting his head over the footy has his head removed, it's play on.

@@@@ this bunch of absolute @@@@ing moronic @@@@wits, was something like my immediate reaction.
    Couldnt have expressed my frustration better Simon.

Reading through this thread this morning is cathartic. My mates and I arent alone in our feelings about umpiring at Swans games.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I said a few times during the game that the umpires umpire the game like the Sydney crowd don't know the rules.

Personally, I think it's about time a formal complaint was made.

Cop the 20K fine (I swear to L Ron Hubbard I'll stand outside the ground with a bucket to collect it) - and maybe not get beaten by the maggots.
    I agree totally. Enough is enough!.

And I really don't care how much the AFL fines the Swans. It is a legal moot point that they have any right to enforce the fine via the Courts.

The other issue I have is the silence of the press, very very rarely to they get into umpiring decisions, worried no doubt that the Stalinist AFL might impose a fine or worse. The radio on the other hand and the TV to a lesser extent, are more frank.

I have never less enjoyed a game of AFL as I did for the Swans Dockers game. I did not pay my membership to watch Michael Avon "play".

Are you listening AFL?

i think we get a bum deal all the time, i just presume i am too one eyed.
    Theres not much left to say

hahaha were any of you at the fence when the umps were walking back into the change rooms, screaming bloody murder at them resulting in a cop coming along to make sure you didnt jump the fence and strangle one of them?

i might be that person if we get that sort of treatment again....

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast