Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: League Teams rumour

League Teams rumour

In the give me something segment, Tony Shaw said that he had heard a rumour that Kirky could be heading west as in greater west for an assistant coaching job.

Swans would be stupid if they don't retain him considering we have a vacancy coming up.
    Last edited by Bas; 20th May 2010 at 10:06 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Do you think he'd find it tough to make the transition from being a team mate to coach? Most players who get into an assistant role after retiring usually go to other clubs first. Personally I would love for him stay in some capacity. Just wondering about logistics of such a move.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I suppose that would be a problem. Gets to see how another Club is run as well. I wouldn't hold it against him. He's got 4 kids to feed.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

there is no doubt in my mind that kirk could easily make the transition form captain to coach. He is so highly respected that there wouldnt be any problem

Veterans List
    Hardly surprising that rumours have surfaced already. Wasn't Roos going to WCE last week?

Journos make up rumours all the time. I thought GWS had more than their full compliment of coaches already.

Kirky, Blood Boy, heart of the Swans, leave and go west.....aw c'mawn! Hate silly rumours
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Kirk would make an outstanding coach anywyere, but given what he has just said about the Swans this sounds like just one more "[un]-Shaw thing" .

There;'s more chance of the Swans going top this year than of Kirk joining another AFL club in the next 12 months.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Living in 2005
    lol the rumour was pretty weak and suggested that GWS were going to talk to his manager. To that rumour, I sort of said "derr", GWS would go after Kirk for ANY role! Would be massive to sign our "spiritual leader" , however I am pretty confident he wouldn't jump ship. Very likely to stay with us in some capacity I'd think and if he wants to, will end up an assistant coach to Horse.

I realise a lot of great players end up at other clubs coaching, but Kirky strikes me as someone who intends on staying Red and White for the rest of his life (just like Roos I guess in that sense, just ignore the 15 or so Fitzroy years before it )

As much as you would all like Roos and Kirk to stay "red and white" for life - its their lives, and their decision what they do with it. If they are offered fists full of money to go - and lets face it Kirk has over 30 years to go until full retirement from the work force arrives (and Roos about 20) - then if its offered from another club, and they have the right credentials for the job - then why not go - they have young familes to feed. There is nothing wrong with doing whats best for themselves and their families. Its not like in the old days when players & coaches had a "proper day job" as well as playing or coaching footy. Loyalty is not what it was, but the goal posts of life have moved as well.
    Last edited by Wardy; 21st May 2010 at 09:16 AM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    As much as you would all like Roos and Kirk to stay "red and white" for life - its their lives, and their decision what they do with it. If they are offered fists full of money to go - and lets face it Kirk has over 30 years to go until full retirement from the work force arrives (and Roos about 20) - then if its offered from another club, and they have the right credentials for the job - then why not go - they have young familes to feed. There is nothing wrong with doing whats best for themselves and their families. Its not like in the old days when players & coaches had a "proper day job" as well as playing or coaching footy. Loyalty is not what it was, but the goal poast of life have moved as well.
    Yeah I don't think anyone really lives in that world anymore, (especially post football careers), but I think if any two players/coaches are going to be Sydney for life, it's Kirk/Roos.

Mind you, I thought that with a certain former player called Paul Kelly lol

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Yeah I don't think anyone really lives in that world anymore, (especially post football careers), but I think if any two players/coaches are going to be Sydney for life, it's Kirk/Roos.

Mind you, I thought that with a certain former player called Paul Kelly lol
    You hit the nail on the head re Kelly (and he has more kids than Kirk!) - the same can be said for Tom Harley as well - they have to do whats best for them - they dont have to answer to us. Roos is selling his house - so where is he going to move too - Perth maybe or the US?
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Re: League Teams rumour

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy

You hit the nail on the head re Kelly (and he has more kids than Kirk!) - the same can be said for Tom Harley as well - they have to do whats best for them - they dont have to answer to us. Roos is selling his house - so where is he going to move too - Perth maybe or the US?
    Spot on Wardy.

Unless he goes to Collingwood of course then the gloves are off.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast