Thread: Stuart Maxfield: what coaches want

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Stuart Maxfield: what coaches want

I thought this was a really interesting article in spelling out what the selectors were looking for and what the coaches are trying to do. They obviously want the defensive and man-on-man strengths and skills, but they also want the youngsters to show the flair they were picked for.

The Game Plan with Stuart Maxfield - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I am stunned that Stuey actually "spoke" up. Must of held a gun to his head....
    I digress. Interesting article.....must be sick of the dour tag placed on us. Flair it is then.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

My guess is runners that dont give away free kicks ?

Loved it - great article.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    My guess is runners that dont give away free kicks ?
    LOL - especially when they lead to goals.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I'm amazed that the tigers haven't tried to lure Stuey back to Punt Road in some sort of capacity - he's exactly the kind of person and leader they need at their club, and I think the swans should do everything they can to keep him with us! his captaincy in the post-kelly era from 2003-05 was one of the catalysts for our run towards the flag, IMO.

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I'm amazed that the tigers haven't tried to lure Stuey back to Punt Road in some sort of capacity - he's exactly the kind of person and leader they need at their club, and I think the swans should do everything they can to keep him with us! his captaincy in the post-kelly era from 2003-05 was one of the catalysts for our run towards the flag, IMO.
    The Tiges, along with a lot of other clubs have made offers since his retirement I am sure. I was talking with Adrian Fletcher, former player for Geelong/Freo/Bris, and he is currently assistant coach at Brisbane (was at Collingwood), and I asked him about the "assistant coach industry" because we only ever hear about the next coaches (Horse, Bucks) and he said that each year at least 5 clubs get in contact with him, so I am sure former high level players such as Stewie (who have remained involved), get a lot of offers as teams search for new ideas and vision.

Stewie seems to be all about the Swans though, I don't get the feeling he is too interested in leaving the Club. I reckon he would have gone a few years ago if he did.

I have no hard evidence, but I had the feeling that relations were strained between him and Richmond when Stewie decided to come to Sydney.

The supporters were still booing him in 2005.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I have no hard evidence, but I had the feeling that relations were strained between him and Richmond when Stewie decided to come to Sydney.

The supporters were still booing him in 2005.
    lol Hate is what keeps that club together. God knows success doesn't.