Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Folau to Western Sydney

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I find it perplexing when people say we shouldn't develop AFL in new markets but shore up support in existing markets. Why can't we do both?
    My weekend in Melbourne was awesome breathing the AFL infused air and getting spoilt for choice and like hot potato above, can't wait for the chance to see two lives games in Sydney.

?Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.? - Ben Franklin

Living in 2005
    Well, it certainly has annoyed the League world this one, much more than the Hunt defection. They have been quick to point out the failures of a few Leaguies to convert to Rugby etc and the move, whle probably not designed for it, isn't going to convert any hardcore league fans.

The one thing I think it does though, it sort of legitimises GWS as a club in Australian sport, which is probably priceless, and it really does place it on the map and his development over the next 12 months will be weekly news followed by all media in the country, so that is a massive bonus.

I personally don't rate having our two highest players, one about to debut in the VFL and one playing for the Brisbane Broncos, but I hope it works. Can't wait to see how the GWS plan on creating the rivalry with us over the next year, because I reckon that is the real key to sucess here, our clubs can't be friends!!

I don't think we need them though....I just think of Lockett, great footballer and Sydney Legend, did more than any player in the promotion of the game. If Folau and Hunt don't work out on the field, then I think it's a waste of money, no matter what marketing value they might be deemed to be.
    Last edited by Damien; 1st June 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    I heard on ABC 702 that he's gonna get $6M over 4 years. That is massive.
    According to the Broncos, but according to AFL media it's 4 Mill over 4 Years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I find it perplexing when people say we shouldn't develop AFL in new markets but shore up support in existing markets. Why can't we do both?
    My weekend in Melbourne was awesome breathing the AFL infused air and getting spoilt for choice and like hot potato above, can't wait for the chance to see two lives games in Sydney.

?Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.? - Ben Franklin
    I have lived in the western suburbs of Sydney my entire life and I can tell you that the AFL are wasting their money. I hope I'm wrong LK because, like you, I would love to see 2 games a week with good crowds and support.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have lived in the western suburbs of Sydney my entire life and I can tell you that the AFL are wasting their money. I hope I'm wrong LK because, like you, I would love to see 2 games a week with good crowds and support.
    And yet they successfully converted you.
    My dad was born in a house whose back fence was Leichhardt oval. My pop ran the gate for many years before handing it over to his apprentice Georgie Bowden. Pop's ashes, along with two uncles are sprinkled under the goal posts and scoreboard. My sisters and my first words, according to my dad (but he loves a story) were "up the tigers". I had a jersey with Nbr 1 for Alan McMahon and then Gary Jack (isn't that ironic) and yet look at me now? I couldn't care less if I never saw another NRL game for the rest of my life on telly or live. I don't even watch the Grand Final unless West Tiges are in it and even then I'm just a huge bandwagoner.
    I'm not saying it's easy and I'm not saying it isn't going to take time. My belief is that even though the old VFL couldn't have made the Swans task any harder if they deliberately plotted it, the AFL as it is today are committed and passionate. Who would have thought that a place would be created and exist where Sydney born and bred fans can meet on an equal footing with those that come from AFL heartlands and discuss more than just a swans game?
    Am I concerned that GWS might impact Swans? Yes. I know that my part is to keep my Swans membership, support the club as much as I can and keep bringing newcomers to the game and helping them see how fantastic it is and what a superior bang for your spectator dollar AFL is in comparison.
    Listening to The Back Page tonight I've decided Brian Taylor speaks wise words. I am locking this episode in the vault for when he sledges Folau on his debut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Has the AFL successfully converted you to the code as your sport of preference?
    My dad was born in a house whose back fence was Leichhardt oval. My pop ran the gate for many years before handing it over to his apprentice Georgie Bowden. Pop's ashes, along with two of my uncles are sprinkled under the goal posts and scoreboard. According to family "legend" the first sentence spoken by my sisters and I was "up the tigers". I had a jersey with Nbr 1 for Alan McMahon and then Gary Jack (isn't that ironic) and yet look at me now? I couldn't care less if I never saw another NRL game for the rest of my life on telly or live. I don't even watch the Grand Final unless West Tiges are in it and even then I'm just a huge bandwagoner.
    I'm not saying it's easy and I'm not saying it isn't going to take time. My belief is that even though the old VFL couldn't have made the Swans task any harder if they deliberately plotted it, the AFL as it is today are committed and passionate. Who would have thought that a place would be created and exist where Sydney born and bred fans can meet on an equal footing with those that come from AFL heartlands and discuss more than just a swans game?
    Am I concerned that GWS might impact Swans? Yes. I know that my part is to keep my Swans membership, support the club as much as I can and keep bringing newcomers to the game and helping them see how fantastic it is and what a superior bang for your spectator dollar AFL is in comparison.
    Listening to The Back Page tonight I've decided Brian Taylor speaks wise words. I am locking this episode in the vault for when he sledges Folau on his debut

Living in 2005
    ^ Yeah B Taylor has been very good tonight, and he is up against 3 NRL heads! He is ON FIRE.

Living in 2005
    Oh god, how good was the "If guys really believe in your game, get a side into WA, SA, Tasmania and go for it, don't have a go at the AFL for coming to Sydney and having a real go at it"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Oh god, how good was the "If guys really believe in your game, get a side into WA, SA, Tasmania and go for it, don't have a go at the AFL for coming to Sydney and having a real go at it"
    I know....I take it all back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Has the AFL successfully converted you to the code as your sport of preference?
    My Dad was a sports nut who followed ALL codes of footy (Souths,Collingwood,Liverpool) so I took after him to some extent. I am a Wests Tigers and Swans member(Yes 2005 was a decent year ) and love that I get
    to indulge both passions through the winter. My love for AFL comes from parental influence and nothing to do with any thing the VFL did. Although my support for the Swans was only entrenched through the Edelsten era. You make some good points and as I said, I hope I'm wrong and that in my lifetime, I get to see 2 powerful AFL sides in Sydney.
    Last edited by Big Al; 1st June 2010 at 09:48 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Living in 2005
    How funny, I am Wests Tigers too (Balmain was the team I adopted when I moved up to Sydney in 97). Three people in this thread had a great 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    How funny, I am Wests Tigers too (Balmain was the team I adopted when I moved up to Sydney in 97). Three people in this thread had a great 2005!
    I'm from the Wests Magpies side of things. I live 5min from Campbelltown Sports ground. (50 - 6 on Friday was a great night at the footy)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast