Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AFL Ground in Sydney approved

New AFL Ground in Sydney approved

Fortunately, the current NSW Government clowns have overuled the former Premier and has now given the approval to re-develop the Showground for AFL.

$45m waste of money for a second AFL home

Provides a fantastic venue for local and NSWAFL teams as well.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Obviously we will never play there in the regular season, but I wonder what the dimensions will be MCG size?

From a distance seems a sensible decision
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Almost Football Legend
    Interesting that Sydney will have more AFL grounds than Melbourne. But it's a sensible decision - GWS will play their blockbuster games at ANZ (and I suspect the Swans still will as well), but it's a good choice for their remaining games that will draw much smaller crowds.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Living in 2005
    Silly decision considering Rugby League play at ANZ with low crowds, there is no valid reason for government money at all. Totalwaste of money for the state but just goes to show that Andrew D knows how to negotiate a deal.

Really is generating negative press here in Sydney and rightly so, but the AFL have been smart to get it all signed off on before the change of government next March. We will have three AFL venues in one city of two teams, 25K, 50K and 80K. Freaking hilarious!!!!

I'm happy, but gee, you know a government is on the way out when they give away 45 million just so the new AFL side doesn't have to deal with lots of empty seats.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Interesting that Sydney will have more AFL grounds than Melbourne. But it's a sensible decision - GWS will play their blockbuster games at ANZ (and I suspect the Swans still will as well), but it's a good choice for their remaining games that will draw much smaller crowds.
    I don't think it is at all. The Showgrounds is in the Inner West. It is 5 minutes from Strathfield on the train. I'd have much rather put the grandstand all the way around the Doonside ground & developed a REAL ground out there for GWS. Maybe NSW cricket could play Sheffield Shield matches out there as well.

If GWS are to be successful, which I both greatly doubt, they MUST play in Sydney's GREATER WEST as a localised community team. And that means playing Blacktown NOT Homebush.

JF
    PS:- I had big arguments with Beaussie on this topic in his dad's car after the game on Sunday.
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    I don't think it is at all. The Showgrounds is in the Inner West. It is 5 minutes from Strathfield on the train. I'd have much rather put the grandstand all the way around the Doonside ground & developed a REAL ground out there for GWS. Maybe NSW cricket could play Sheffield Shield matches out there as well.

If GWS are to be successful, which I both greatly doubt, they MUST play in Sydney's GREATER WEST as a localised community team. And that means playing Blacktown NOT Homebush.

JF
    PS:- I had big arguments with Beaussie on this topic in his dad's car after the game on Sunday.
    All the major stations from the South West and the West can quite easily get to Olympic Park, so I don't think it's a major deal and to be honest, the Blacktown ground was never the best location in terms of public transport, and as you know, the problem with being a "western Sydney" side is that you are representing an area that stretches from Campbelltown to Penrith, no matter where you put it, you are potentially making it hard for many people to get to the game. Olympic Park may be more "inner west" than Greater West, but it's a much better hub for these so called 1.8 million people they are trying to reach than Blacktown.

Also, attracting players will be much easier for them if they are training at the Showground and not Blacktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Silly decision considering Rugby League play at ANZ with low crowds, there is no valid reason for government money at all. Totalwaste of money for the state but just goes to show that Andrew D knows how to negotiate a deal.

Really is generating negative press here in Sydney and rightly so, but the AFL have been smart to get it all signed off on before the change of government next March. We will have three AFL venues in one city of two teams, 25K, 50K and 80K. Freaking hilarious!!!!

I'm happy, but gee, you know a government is on the way out when they give away 45 million just so the new AFL side doesn't have to deal with lots of empty seats.
    Empty seats probably have very little to do with it. Smaller grounds have lower operating costs. I think the Swans have said they need almost double the crowd at ANZ compared to SCG to breakeven, so GWS could probably never make money at ANZ, will at the new stadium, considering the life of the asset it probably made financial sense to develop the new ground, plus the AFL wouldhave presumably some control or preferential rights over the asset

So probably a smart decision, being opposed by parochialism - and Melbourne invested far more in the Slug/ caterpiller stadium without screaming it was the end of the world, there is far more interest in AFL in Sydney than Soccer and Rugby in Melbourne
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Senior Player
    I've said this many times before, ANZ does not have the bandwidth to support ten more fixtures on it's calendar during winter. The surface is struggling now given the traffic from SoO, Canterbury, Souths and the other odd RL game, rugby internationals, the occasional soccer international, there is no question GWS had to have an alternative home venue the only question is where.

Quote Originally Posted by JF
    Don't necessarily disagree with you there JF, but the question is where??? There is no location in the GW that is anywhere near as accessible than Homebush. Not to mention the comparative cost of upgrading the Doonside ground (and that would include a new train station/other public transport facilities, carparking) or doing something somewhere else from scratch, the only realistic option was going to be the Showground.

That said, it hasn't stopped the Federal Govt for stumping umpteen millions for the sexy soccer ground up the road from Blacktown if we get the World Cup

Empty seats are 90% of this.
    Sorry but this is simply not true. Demitriou even said it yesterday that their financial modelling said they needed a small stadium to be financially viable

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Empty seats probably have very little to do with it. Smaller grounds have lower operating costs. I think the Swans have said they need almost double the crowd at ANZ compared to SCG to breakeven, so GWS could probably never make money at ANZ, will at the new stadium, considering the life of the asset it probably made financial sense to develop the new ground, plus the AFL wouldhave presumably some control or preferential rights over the asset

So probably a smart decision, being opposed by parochialism - and Melbourne invested far more in the Slug/ caterpiller stadium without screaming it was the end of the world, there is far more interest in AFL in Sydney than Soccer and Rugby in Melbourne
    Empty seats are 90% of this. It's been confirmed that AFL research believes that GWS are likely to get RL style crowds of 15-17K, which at ANZ is going to look reasonably horrible and take away from the atmospheric experience that AFL boasts about (and one can argue that has been the Swans biggest point of difference with other codes in Sydney). Hard to grow support and crowds when a stadium is empty and contains no atmosphere. The smaller stadium is likely to provide what the AFL is after, especially from a TV point of view.

The other reasoning, which has been discussed a bit in the Sydney media is that attracting players to a club that trains so far out of the "IT" suburbs in Sydney in Blacktown was going to be very difficult, so having a training base at Homebush is going to be a huge bonus for them when talking with players over the next twelve months.

As for the ANZ situation, it was a problem for the first few years due an 11 game agreement the AFL signed in the late 90s, which was reduced to 3 games however the minimum crowd requirement was changed to a quite significant number, totally changed now and ANZ are more than happy to pay clubs that get small crowds to actually play there. Souths get around 100K guaranteed a game for example.

The Melbourne situation is a lot different, there was not a high class ground at all in Melbourne for Soccer, Rugby or League and next year you will have three teams play out of AAMI Park, it will be used a lot and gives Melbourne a dedicated rectangular stadium, I think there would have been much less angst in Sydney if this wasn't being built next to an existing stadium, if another 45 Million went into Blacktown, it may have been ignored, but we are talking about a new stadium being built for 8 games a year for a team not even in the competition yet.

Like I said, I'm happy that we have got another ground in Sydney and as a dedicated AFL stadium should make for a great experience, but it really wasn't needed and taxpayer money most certainly shouldn't have gone towards it.

(as for interest, we got 50K viewers on TV for our game on Sunday, thrashed in the ratings continually, we have massive issues in this city for AFL, I would suggest League has more general interest in Melbourne than AFL here.....)

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Sorry but this is simply not true. Demitriou even said it yesterday that their financial modelling said they needed a small stadium to be financially viable
    That's a load of crap from Andrew D. Souths moved to ANZ to be viable and they certainly don't average anywhere near the Swans, the AFL wanted a small boutique stadium because it suited what their support was, allowed them to have their base at Homebush instead of Blacktown and is of course going to be an atmospheric experience, with ANZ next door for Swans and Collingwood games.

(as for interest, we got 50K viewers on TV for our game on Sunday, thrashed in the ratings continually, we have massive issues in this city for AFL, I would suggest League has more general interest in Melbourne than AFL here.....)
    This is a HUGE concern as our ratings keep dropping and dropping. These figures make it hard for the stations broadcasting the games to put non swans games on live. Wasn't a game a few weeks ago involving non swans only 80k?

Major concerns which seemed to be over looked in the AFLs propaganda campiagn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast