Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help,accom'n for collingwood game june 26

Regular in the Side

help,accom'n for collingwood game june 26

we (my wife and I plus daughter (adult) will be travelling from Melbourne (plane) for this game. Any suggestions for accomodation for the one night. Easily reached from airport and in easy access to stadium. Assume we can use membership tickets on trains for travel to/from wherever. Thanks for any advice.

There is an IbIS? Hotel opposite the ground that said I think CBD is best as train to Homebush isn't too long
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    There is an IbIS? Hotel opposite the ground that said I think CBD is best as train to Homebush isn't too long
    Depending on your budget there are the Novotel and Ibis (both Accor Hotels) at Olympic Park that are a walk to the ground or any number of hotels near Central Station in the City. Trains run from Central to Olympic park every 15 mins or so on Game Day. There's a Travelodge on York Street, Wynyard (train central/train homebush) that was nice enough, but I don't stay in the city too often.

Think Reggi and I are both suggesting City because it's one train from the Airport and one train to Olympic Park.
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Mercure and Marque (used to be Country Comfort and perhaps slightly cheaper) are both on Railway Square across the road from Central. Stayed at each, happy with results.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

What's your budget? If you can give me an idea I'll give you some other suggestions as well : )

Better off staying in city and catching train out to the ground.

The hotels in the Olympic park precinct (Novotel, Pullman, Ibis and horror of horrors the Formula 1) all charge overs when there is a reason to be there, and depending on how much time you have to sightsee/look around, there is bugger all else to do out there (unless you want to swim, play tennis or walk around the 'parklands' which were formerly swamplands).

For a quick visit, something near Central Station (Medina Executive Sydney Central Sydney Central Accommodation - Medina Executive Sydney Central for example) is close to the trains and chinatown for a good cheap meal. Catch the train from the airport to there and you wouldn't even need a cab in either direction.

Other apartment style hotels around there are fine too.

Have fun, and hope we win!

On the Rookie List
    Save time, money and the pain of being at the game to most likely see collingwood beat us again and stay home!

Goes up to 11
    It all depends on your budget - you could also try the Sebel in Albion St Surry Hills, which is a block from Central, or the Cambridge Hotel Riley St Surry Hills which is a few blocks further away.

The Travelodge in Phillip St City is well priced for the location - half a block from St James Station, which is on the airport line and only 2 stops from Central.

Just steer clear of the caravan parks on that weekend as they'll be overrun with Collingwood supporters...

Just steer clear of the caravan parks on that weekend as they'll be overrun with Collingwood supporters...[/QUOTE]

And the bus shelters and park benches......

I'd be running a check on the "last minute" cheapie accommodation online internet bookings (not sure which sites, but there are a number of them, just google, there will be all sorts of offers) which line up with some of the above recommendations. I would also suggest staying near central as you have easy access to railway,to and from airport, and easy rail access to Olympic Park (just follow the crowd) and back again in a mob of swans with more flexible and reliable return trip to the airport rather than attempting to stay at the Park. Its just tooooo remote for comfort for an overnight interstate visit when flying back next day. Ibis is ok, have stayed there. And your ticket to game provides free train trip to and from game.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Save time, money and the pain of being at the game to most likely see collingwood beat us again and stay home!
    I agree. Pick a different game. For the last five years I have been saying I will not go to another Swans v pies game. But at last minute change my mind in the hope of a miracle. Here's hoping for another miracle.

If you're just staying the one night, I'd just stay near the ground and suck up the atmosphere. That depends on the cost for you though. Enjoy your time.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

You're flying up, so the Formule 1 at the Airport is cheap clean and easy to get to/from. I stayed there when I went up for the Tattoo this year. The new rooms are really nice...and are well under $100.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast