Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans Confused by Tackling Rule

Swans Confused by Tackling Rule

Swans Confused by Tackling Rule

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...1/default.aspx

Join the club - we have coats and scarves and everything. I think Kieran JAck almost set a world record for free kicks against on the weekend
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

The most annoying part in all this, is that the umpires not only change their interpretation from game to game but from quarter to quarter. Saturday night was a great example of what was legal in the first quarter, was a free kick by the third. Happens in every game to every team.
    The rules and the confusing interpretations are a bloody joke!

Veterans List
    The current interpretation of the HTB rule is crap. We see far to many cases of a player taking possesion of the ball to be immediately wrapped up and driven into the ground by one or more opposition and being pinged for HTB without prior opportunity. Its rewarding the second to the ball players and needs an urgent redressing the the AFL.

I'm someone who can watch a game involving the Swans and be genuinely neutral about the merit of a free kick. We are as much recipients of the current poor interpretation as other clubs although in some games we get a bad run of decisions against.

The other rule hat is driving me crackers at present is the head high contact rule. Too many times a player is hitting his head into an oppositions leg when the opposition player is basically standing still and the diving player is the one initiating the contact but guess who gets the free? Whistle happy umpires ping the guy standing still - go figure!

I've just rewatched Saturday nights Poor Power game, we actually got a raw deal from the umps in this game. Not only a number of the dreaded HTB rules against us (more than they got) but not getting paid the blatant Daniel Motlop throw over his head, the blatant Danyle Pearce one handed throw plus a few others. No wonder the count was 30-16 in Poor Powers favour.

And do you wanna know whats even more FRUSTRATING..the reactive AFL will change the rules again this weekend and we will see a complete new set of interpretations.

About time Gieshen get the sack, but Vlad loves his yes man..so no chance!

Goes up to 11
    I'm really sick of players standing around a pack waving their arms wildly and asking the umpires for a free kick. Another really annoying side-affect of the new interpretation of the rules.

the swans players are confused about how to beat top 8 sides as well
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I'm really sick of players standing around a pack waving their arms wildly and asking the umpires for a free kick. Another really annoying side-affect of the new interpretation of the rules.
    Thats been around since the mid 90s but has been amplified with the new rules. Our boys are guilty of doing it all the time.

I think dragging the ball in while the player is pinged in a tackle with no chance of disposal is a blight. One of my biggest bug bears.

I still think Roosy should front the umpiring people and let them have it.
    I've already offered to collect the fine money.

The umpires seriously @@@@ me.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    The most annoying part in all this, is that the umpires not only change their interpretation from game to game but from quarter to quarter. Saturday night was a great example of what was legal in the first quarter, was a free kick by the third. Happens in every game to every team.
    Hear, Hear!
    Red & White forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I think this has come around, at least in part, from having more than one umpire on the field. Eons ago there was only one, and while there may have been dodgy and infuriating calls in the first quarter, by the first change everyone knew where the arbitary line in the sand was with this umpire. You can't have that now because, lets face it, humans see things differently, even between umpires. What one umpire might call as holding the ball another would call as a ball-up, or even a high tackle or back infringement. The frustration arises when we get mixed messages and the rules seemingly change contest to contest. The fans get upset and confused, and many a time we hear players come over on the umpires microphone complaining that such-and-such was/wasn't paid earlier in the match.

I'm not saying a one umpire solution is the way to go. One umpire is bad. Very bad. But at least he'll be consistant.
    10100111001 ;-)

Good players learn to adjust their game according to what the umps are calling. But sticking to one interpretation for more than one week would be nice for a change.

Veteran Site Admin
    Consistency of application is only part of the issue in this instance. Do we actually want players to change their behaviour? Would that ultimately not just mean always trying to be second to the ball because if you get there marginally earlier than your opponent (or frequently, band of opponents) you are almost guaranteed to give up possession?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast