Thread: Final 12

Regular in the Side

Final 12

According to the Herald-Sun the AFL has thrown a range of fixturing options for an 18-team competition including the possibility of conferences. The league is gathering feeback as to the eacrwill structure of the pre-season, home-and-away season and finals series.

The AFL have announced that it was considering a number of possibilities in restructuring the draw, including:

SPLITTING the teams into two or three conferences.

EXPANDING the top eight to a 10, 11 or 12(!!!!) team finals series.

They really need to keep the current structure with a final 8 and:

- Get rid of a draft based on yearly performance (it should just be an 18 year rotation - which would give each club the same opportunity over that period)
    - The draw should also just be rotated over twenty-two rounds and then just continued on the following year

The other models might make get more revenue into the AFL, but too many of the league's traditions would be lost.

Edit: after checking out the AFL website, and survey, I am a little worried that the results are going to be used to manipulate public opinion into supporting the plans the AFL has already made - far too many leading questions for my liking.
    Last edited by Matty10; 18th June 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just did the survey. It seems to be very focussed on the lightning format preseason.

Almost Football Legend
    The problem with the reset opton is that over the last third of the season we won?t know when our club?s home games are. This could be a problem for selling memberships.
    One advantage of the current system (other than the AFL?s mystifying idea of having an unfixed final round), is that in October of the previous year we know in advance when our home games will be. So, with certainty, we can buy club memberships and lock those dates in our diaries. And then tell everyone that if they?re planning a wedding, party, function, conference, dirty weekend away, funeral or any other event where our presence is required to not hold it on those dates.
    Without having the dates locked in, it?s a disincentive to purchasing memberships ? the risk of having to pay for games you may not be able to attend. It?s a reason why NRL club memberships are relatively low.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty