Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: farewell brett kirk thread

I thought Kirk was one of our better players.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Bit tough on Smithy. I thought he was far from disgraced - at least relatively speaking..
    He tried hard but if you look at the stats he got flogged...probably for the first time this year though....

I don't think Kirk should be playing every match till the end of the season he should be on the sideline for some games picking up some coaching tips from Roos

has enough credits in the bag. Just say goodbye to the midfield perhaps, his tackling pressure could be handy up forward. He also can kick a goal when needed
    Theres not much left to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    has enough credits in the bag. Just say goodbye to the midfield perhaps, his tackling pressure could be handy up forward. He also can kick a goal when needed
    Started as more than handy forward

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'm sorry, but a few good moments here and there don't change the fact it's been one season too many. He just can't keep up. Sad to say, but time to go hug a tree, smoke weed, and refine your chants.
    During this drug referenced quote you have failed to miss one vital point - he's at least having a GO !!!! The forgivness of faults chant for you -http://www.buddhanet.net/filelib/mp3/16-chant-16.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by sWAns63 View Post
    I don't think Kirk should be playing every match till the end of the season he should be on the sideline for some games picking up some coaching tips from Roos
    Agreed, SCG games, Rd22 & finals should suffice.

We're not going to make the GF, so would prefer to use his spot to play some of the fringe kids & let Horse experiment.

In regards to the coaching, for sure let him be in the box or sit beside Roos on the bench (and thieve his snakes) but I doubt he will be involved with the swans in a coaching capacity in the immediate future, a change in scenery is probably on the cards for Kirky & the family.

Quote Originally Posted by RTTF View Post
    Agreed, SCG games, Rd22 & finals should suffice.

We're not going to make the GF, so would prefer to use his spot to play some of the fringe kids & let Horse experiment.

In regards to the coaching, for sure let him be in the box or sit beside Roos on the bench (and thieve his snakes) but I doubt he will be involved with the swans in a coaching capacity in the immediate future, a change in scenery is probably on the cards for Kirky & the family.
    Yeah I know that, it's an immediate and sneaky way of helping to clear the midfield log Jam though.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    He tried hard but if you look at the stats he got flogged...probably for the first time this year though....
    Stats aren't everything. When his fellow midfielders are on, it can be impossible to stop an opponent from getting possessions, but Smith was on Didak's hammer nearly every time he got the ball, which saw scrubby kicks, dinky handballs and basically general ineffectiveness. Just a pity he managed to get away for that goal though.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

No doubt that Kirky is past his best but he is far from our worst. People keep saying he should move aside to give younger guys a go but if you look around him there are already about four doing just that and on Saturday night they were far from impressive in picking up the 20% that Kirk has lost from his best say in 2005 /2006.

You cant play a totally inexperienced midfield and it is now up to the likes of McVeigh, Jack , Bird, Hannebery, Kennedy, Smith etc to show they dont need him anymore and they certainly havent shown that in the tight , hard games. Kirk was the only one trying to lift us when it counted on the weekend and that should have been the cue for the other guys to lift but unfortunately they didnt go with him. Thats the problem , not Kirks play in general.

Veterans List
    A premature call in my opinion. Kirk is still the one providing real leadership when things are tough and is still amongst our best players. The younger brigade deserve to have leaders around them for the balance of this year.

As for Saturday night, Collingwood ownd the ball for much of the night which makes players like Kirk look like they are past it. If we had 50% of control it wouldn't look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    No doubt that Kirky is past his best but he is far from our worst. People keep saying he should move aside to give younger guys a go but if you look around him there are already about four doing just that and on Saturday night they were far from impressive in picking up the 20% that Kirk has lost from his best say in 2005 /2006
    The team will have to get used to his absence sooner or later. The transition will be managed best if it is a gradual process. Identify issues now, so they can be addressed prior to next season.

The concern is, can he offer consistent & reasonable value to the team if he plays every game until the end of the season?

No one will doubt his endeavour, but if his body isn't up to it, as a fan, how will you feel watching him struggle?

I'd rather see him managed appropriately so he can play 4-5 great games on grounds/conditions that suit him and go out on a high note.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast