Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: farewell brett kirk thread

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

farewell brett kirk thread

I'm sorry, but a few good moments here and there don't change the fact it's been one season too many. He just can't keep up. Sad to say, but time to go hug a tree, smoke weed, and refine your chants.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

i thought he was pretty good tonight tried really hard. No what he used to be but no where near our worst

Tried hard but struggled to get to many contests

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    There's nobody better to replace him. Yet.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

10 kicks and 12 handpasses still put him up there.
    Yes they can run off him but in close he can win the ball.
    We need runners around him.
    If Goodes is fit we need him in the centre creating play.

Started off shaky but got into it. Did some really good work at the stoppages. Made some blunders, he's not the player he used to be, but he's still contributing plenty.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veterans List
    Kirk, McGlyn, Shaw and ROK were the four Swans players who seemed to want to win the game. That counts for a lot in my opinion. Mal and McV seemed ok but coasting and I found myself wondering what we'd get for a two time Brownlow medallist on the market? The rest of the team turned up to play some country reserve team. I'd be bringing in a lot of keen reserves before I dropped Kirk.

Was inspirational during the 15 minutes or so of the game (during the 2nd quarter) when it looked like we were a decent chance of getting back into it. Across the whole night, probably in our half-dozen best; but unarguably in our top 10. The whole thread goes dangerously close to trolling.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Kirk, McGlyn, Shaw and ROK were the four Swans players who seemed to want to win the game. That counts for a lot in my opinion. Mal and McV seemed ok but coasting and I found myself wondering what we'd get for a two time Brownlow medallist on the market? The rest of the team turned up to play some country reserve team. I'd be bringing in a lot of keen reserves before I dropped Kirk.
    Bit tough on Smithy. I thought he was far from disgraced - at least relatively speaking.

As for Kirk, I thought his workrate was exemplary and he is bobbing up to kick goals on a regular basis this season. I will confess, however, that I groaned a few times to myself when he marked in the middle because any momentum the team had temporarily mustered meandering forward ("thrusting" would be a bit of a misnomer) seemed to get killed when the ball was in his hands. On the other hand, maybe that was because he was less inclined to mindlessly bomb the ball forward to the nearest free Collingwood player than the rest of his team mates.

Probably played on a year too long, but really there's a gap between the young and older players. By playing on for a year he's giving time for the development of the younger players. Always doing the team thing.

There's a certain balance with Roos and Kirk retiring at the same time.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Bit tough on Smithy. I thought he was far from disgraced - at least relatively speaking.

As for Kirk, I thought his workrate was exemplary and he is bobbing up to kick goals on a regular basis this season. I will confess, however, that I groaned a few times to myself when he marked in the middle because any momentum the team had temporarily mustered meandering forward ("thrusting" would be a bit of a misnomer) seemed to get killed when the ball was in his hands. On the other hand, maybe that was because he was less inclined to mindlessly bomb the ball forward to the nearest free Collingwood player than the rest of his team mates.
    agree with both - but his kick to rok in the last quarter was close to the dumbest kick for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    agree with both - but his kick to rok in the last quarter was close to the dumbest kick for ages
    What happens with worn out legs, as he ran and ran and he his no elite runner. If he hadn't got the mob going, then we would have been splattered. I am afraid Goodsey is no leader when the chips are down. We still need to rate Kirky as the best of the best when it comes to holding on. We were not disgraced, and we could have been.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast