Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney V Richmond pre game thread (with teams)

Veterans List
    Rohan was trying so he has to stay. Bird was much of the reason that we were still in the game in the last q (besides their kicking) - he was providing some drive into the non existent forward line after I started watching him after a friend asked "what's Bird done tonight?"

White out? He wasn't good but you'd prefer Playfair there? Or do we make a counter offer to Baz? Or ask Adam if he could consider kicking straight for a change?

Dropping Bird for a game or 2 is hardly going to be the end of the world. Likewise with White.

Both are part of our long term future and getting confidence in the reserves wouldn't hurt.

Also means that players like TDL, MOD, Vez etc can get more of a taste.

If Currie doesn't offer more than pyke as a back up ruck then why are we keeping him. He showed in the NAB cup that he can at least take a mark up forward even if he can't kick straight.

Ins Bradshaw, Tiger, Vez, TDL, Currie.
    Outs Bevan, White, Jetta, Bird, Pyke.

For bird to stay in you would have to drop one of Hanners, Kirk, ROK, or B1.

And before anyone mentions Kennedy he was our No 1 for possessions and clearances V the maggots
    Last edited by aardvark; 27th June 2010 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Dropping Bird for a game or 2 is hardly going to be the end of the world. Likewise with White.

Both are part of our long term future and getting confidence in the reserves wouldn't hurt.

Also means that players like TDL, MOD, Vez etc can get more of a taste.
    But dropping Bird won't do any good either. He was very good last night, considering he was played out of position. Once he was put in the middle he did very well.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    But dropping Bird won't do any good either. He was very good last night, considering he was played out of position. Once he was put in the middle he did very well.
    I'm not sure he was all that good - sure he did OK in the last quarter after being made to look like a reserves player for about an hour but I blame management rather than the player. I think we can assume that playing bird as a defensive half forward flanker is a absolutely dumb idea. I haven't been as taken with him as many others on this website (he lacks pace and strength but has reasonable vision and good hands) but playing him as they did in that first half was unbelievably bad - and he showed he doesn't have the defensive game to do it.

Based on current form alone, both White and Jetta will be heading back to the two's for a couple of weeks.

Rohan did enough last night to stay in the team for another week.

The hard part is that we need to get Bradshaw and Kennelly back into the line up and TDL now deserves a run in the seniors based on consistent form.

If Kennelly misses out, it will be White and Jetta for Bradshaw and TDL, which should give us some different combinations up forward this week.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Very good? I don't think he was horrible but that's stretching it.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes, but is he going to be played in the middle from now on? He was put there when the game was over and he had failed to quell the influence of Heath Shaw. Unless someone makes way from the current midfield setup, Bird's going to be spending most of his time at half-forward.

Regular in the Side
    would not bring back playfair retrograde step. TDL must be close and so too is Meridith I would drop Bird for him cant have both kirk and Bird, I would rather keep Bird and drop or persuade Kirk to retire now. Except for the goal which we didnt think he could get didnt doo a lot else. Now to slow his kicking lacks penetration and his handballs no longer hurt anyone. His second shot for goal or should I say he should have shot it at goal again was a dreadful pass. Currie wasnt much chop in the reserves from what we could see. Saw most of the game. Sumner was good as well. I think Vez may be out injured next week.

He is being played forward for a reason. Either his engine isn't good enough or we have too many similar midfield types already.

I thought he was ordinary last night. Guess we all have different standards

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Yes, but is he going to be played in the middle from now on? He was put there when the game was over and he had failed to quell the influence of Heath Shaw. Unless someone makes way from the current midfield setup, Bird's going to be spending most of his time at half-forward.
    Spot on.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast