Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vez the second coming of Nick Davis? Discuss...

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    At least we got a clear answer to the Vez question yesterday. If it's a conspiracy it's widespread. Stuey Dew at the MA Noble aftermatch said that Vez needs to improve his fitness and he knows that. "When a player can only play 10 minutes before he has to come off it's too disruptive of team structure during the game".
    Thats a bit rich coming from Stuey Dew, who could hardly have been called a runner and played in fits and bursts.Good player though!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    With all the info available to recruiters these days you have to ask why did we recruit an unfit player or has he gone downhill since coming to the club? Sad waste of a No 11 pick if he doesn't make it.
    Have you read the book "The draft" where he features in it? It gives you an insight.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Thats a bit rich coming from Stuey Dew, who could hardly have been called a runner and played in fits and bursts.Good player though!
    I think Stuey could stay on the park but he certainly lifted in patches. His 2008 GF "patch" has to be one of the highlights of AFL! Surprisingly, in person he looked younger and fitter than I'd expected. He looks like a slim young man - it gives you an idea of how fit AFL players have to be if he was regarded as a fat man.

I think being surrounded by very young players he would have to try and keep up so has probably lost a bit - I did see him preseason and there was definitely a little extra unwanted conditon evident. He has a great stare though. And when you watch him on the bench his concentration is absolute, that's probably why he had a bit of an edge and was a very good player, especially in 2008. Concentration. Its an attribute that's not mentioned much, but its so important.

He answered a question on Vez though. Its exactly what I had observed and wondered about.
    Vez is a good player, but his tank is not naturally big. He is no ROK. I don't know what they can do, or whether it can be expanded to do exactly what it needs to do to become an full time senior player. bugger.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Vez is a good player, but his tank is not naturally big. He is no ROK. I don't know what they can do, or whether it can be expanded to do exactly what it needs to do to become an full time senior player. bugger.
    Interesting you nominated ROK. His endurance was something he worked on, rather than came entirely naturally (I assume he always had a reasonable tank). See the end of this article to get an idea of how hard he worked. I've read a few similar articles so not sure if this is the one I am thinking of. At this stage ROK was 22 or 23 or still a few years older than what Vesz is now - not that I'm suggested he will ever be an elite runner like ROK.

Swan plays on in shadow of grief - realfooty.com.au

The Swans match committee believe O'Keefe's form lifted when the two parties agreed his weight had increased too much through his emphasis on gym work.

O'Keefe cut down on weights and increased his running.

Stuart Maxfield took him aside and suggested the pair work harder together on the track. Now the captain and his charge can be seen at the end of training running extra laps.

"I've approached him (Maxfield) before about ways to improve and he suggested I needed to do some more running and speedy work," O'Keefe said.
    Last edited by hammo; 12th July 2010 at 02:02 PM.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I think Stuey could stay on the park but he certainly lifted in patches. His 2008 GF "patch" has to be one of the highlights of AFL! Surprisingly, in person he looked younger and fitter than I'd expected. He looks like a slim young man - it gives you an idea of how fit AFL players have to be if he was regarded as a fat man.
    I was sitting next to where the coaches run out at the Sydney North gamne earlier this year at Etihad, and Stuey Dew wasn't looking slim at all then. He must have ditched the pies since then

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Don't mean to be too unkind to Dew, but his pot belly is definitely visible from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    If you have seen him lately playing FF for Balmain its more like a cannon than a gun. A very large round cannon.
    I saw them play a couple of weeks ago.

Their number 13 (Paul Chapman lookalike) kept us entertained for the afternoon.
    Last edited by Ruda Wakening; 12th July 2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Sit down or i swear to God i'll have you shot.

He answered a question on Vez though. Its exactly what I had observed and wondered about.
    So in a team that has an ordinary at best forward line, does he not even have the tank to play as a permanent small forward?

Veterans List
    So in a team that has an ordinary at best forward line, does he not even have the tank to play as a permanent small forward?
    I think that's back to what Stuey said - he needs a rest every 10 minutes and that stuffs our structure.

Of course, some may find it news that we have a forward structure.

Go back to Dew's comment "When a player can only play 10 minutes before he has to come off it's too disruptive of team structure during the game".

That's the point of it. Vez needs to be able to do more without becoming exhausted; tired is one thing, exhausted is another.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Go back to Dew's comment "When a player can only play 10 minutes before he has to come off it's too disruptive of team structure during the game".

That's the point of it. Vez needs to be able to do more without becoming exhausted; tired is one thing, exhausted is another.
    Oh well maybe another pre season will help...i hope he come good soon.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast