Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vez the second coming of Nick Davis? Discuss...

@@@@ we have a habit of drafting kids with some pretty @@@@ issues. Johnston with his foot and Vez gets exhausted every 10 minutes, what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    With all the info available to recruiters these days you have to ask why did we recruit an unfit player or has he gone downhill since coming to the club? Sad waste of a No 11 pick if he doesn't make it.
    Especially when Rioli was available. I don't want to hate on Vez, he's a talented kid but I want what's best for our future and what if he never gets his fitness up to scratch? It'll be very disappointing.

Dew also mentioned at the aftermatch that Vespa was a bit crook and contributed to a quietish match yesterday. Possibly him and McV caught the same bug. Here's hoping they have been well and truly kept apart from the group if it's at all contagious.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Especially when Rioli was available. I don't want to hate on Vez, he's a talented kid but I want what's best for our future and what if he never gets his fitness up to scratch? It'll be very disappointing.
    I thought there was talk that Rioli only wanted a Victorian club so he could be close to family. Not sure where that's from. Probably Big Footy so genuine source...

@@@@ we have a habit of drafting kids with some pretty @@@@ issues. Johnston with his foot and Vez gets exhausted every 10 minutes, what's next?
    You have to take a chance sometimes; trust me LJ will be worth the wait (all of 18 months up to now by the way).
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    Rioli also turned up to Draft Camp in not very good physical shape (he had been injured for much of his U18 year) and apparently did very poorly indeed on many of the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Dew also mentioned at the aftermatch that Vespa was a bit crook and contributed to a quietish match yesterday. Possibly him and McV caught the same bug. Here's hoping they have been well and truly kept apart from the group if it's at all contagious.
    They got a bug getting drenched on Wednesday signing kiddies autographs. I didn't see Vez but when Jaryd Mc came down our line, the rain was dripping off his face and he was soaked.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Hindsight is a great thing, but there were alot of doubters about Rioli before draft day.

Our very own Craig Bird took him to the cleaners at the U18 carnival in a match up head to head.

Hawthorn took a punt and it paid off, we also took a punt and at this stage it's still undecided but we know Vez can play if he gets his body right.

In some ways you have to congratulate the recruiting team as vez was a punt and a different type of player we usually take, much the same way we took Rohan and Jetta last year.

DST
    Last edited by DST; 12th July 2010 at 11:03 PM.
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    At least we got a clear answer to the Vez question yesterday. If it's a conspiracy it's widespread. Stuey Dew at the MA Noble aftermatch said that Vez needs to improve his fitness and he knows that. "When a player can only play 10 minutes before he has to come off it's too disruptive of team structure during the game".
    No different to Moore and it's taken him 5 years to get enough of a tank to play consistent football at senior level and do what is asked of him.

Vez can play no doubt about it, now up to him to knuckle down and get that conditioning that will allow him to fully show his talent on the field.

Also, it aint always about who gets picked and who doesn't from what they do on a Saturday. Every player now wears a GPS tracking device at training and the coaching staff know exactly who is coasting and who is training like they are playing. The specfic goals set for Vez probably have nothing to do with how he goes on a Saturday. it will be about how he prepares during the week and trains.

Get that right and then playing will follow.

DST
    Last edited by DST; 12th July 2010 at 11:07 PM.
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I thought there was talk that Rioli only wanted a Victorian club so he could be close to family. Not sure where that's from. Probably Big Footy so genuine source...
    The Rioli only in Melbourne talk came about from the book "The Draft" which was written about the trials and tribulations of five kids leading up to that seasons draft - Rioli and Vez just happen to have been two of the five.
    In that book, it goes into details about the problems each kid faced and one of Rioli's biggest problems was dreadful homesickness, eased only by having some family close by in Melbourne.
    I can only assume that this was taken into account by ALL interstate teams when they were deciding on who to pick.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    At least we got a clear answer to the Vez question yesterday. If it's a conspiracy it's widespread. Stuey Dew at the MA Noble aftermatch said that Vez needs to improve his fitness and he knows that. "When a player can only play 10 minutes before he has to come off it's too disruptive of team structure during the game".
    Craig Bird, come on down.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Craig Bird, come on down.
    I think the problem these days is his foot, not his tank. Not to mention being played out of position.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast