Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Vez the second coming of Nick Davis? Discuss...

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Craig Bird was averaging about the same amount of minutes as Hannebery.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    @@@@ we have a habit of drafting kids with some pretty @@@@ issues. Johnston with his foot and Vez gets exhausted every 10 minutes, what's next?
    A mature aged recruit? Nick Davis, come on down.....
    -

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Craig Bird was averaging about the same amount of minutes as Hannebery.
    In his first season?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    In his first season?
    Who? Bird Hanners or Vez?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    No different to Moore and it's taken him 5 years to get enough of a tank to play consistent football at senior level and do what is asked of him.

Vez can play no doubt about it, now up to him to knuckle down and get that conditioning that will allow him to fully show his talent on the field.

Also, it aint always about who gets picked and who doesn't from what they do on a Saturday. Every player now wears a GPS tracking device at training and the coaching staff know exactly who is coasting and who is training like they are playing. The specfic goals set for Vez probably have nothing to do with how he goes on a Saturday. it will be about how he prepares during the week and trains.

Get that right and then playing will follow.

DST
    This kind of requirement is surely only for youngsters. Why would you play a fully fit player who can't get a kick on saturday but stars at training?(The Cheese?) Wouldn't a ball magnet on saturday be preferable who maybe runs out of puff a few times but thats why we have the interchange. ( Was MOL ever technically fit?)There is a real difference between match fitness and fitness in general.You cannot simulate everything at training, the hard knocks,the pain, the stress and the expectations that occurr during a match.Some thrive in this situation some don't and go missing.Guts and determination are character traits not trainable fitness traits. Some players hate training and get fit by playing.
    To me,a player like Vez needs lots of game time to get fit coz he loves playing. Thats the way he will build it up. He doesn't quite fit the normal mode hence comparisons to the legendary Nick Davis..hope he turns out 1/2 as good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Who? Bird Hanners or Vez?
    Bird, I can check it myself anyway obviously but from memory Craig played a fair chunk of 50% TOG games through the year.

Edit:
    Craig Bird's average TOG% stats by year
    2008 62.4% in 21 games
    2009 62.9% in 15 games
    2010 76.5% in 4 games
    Last edited by stellation; 13th July 2010 at 01:18 PM.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Blog Entries
    I should say that I'm certainly not trying to make this a Bird vs. Vez argument, just that the club has recent form in getting youngsters who are yet to build up their aerobic capacity a run in the seniors.

MOL was always great player, right from the get go (as they say). It was not a team of great depth in 1996. Mick always had motor, it was his knees in to noughties that mucked things up a bit.

Vez has the chance to be a very good player, but I applaud the heads that say to hold him back for a bit to develop a bit of motor. He could get out there and see everyone else doing what he cannot do, yet. That is discouraging to say the least and would play with the kids head. We just don't know the physchological profile in place, and I have far more trust in the coaches to know what he is like between the ears than any of us. Leave him be, get him right, it sure as hell didn't do ROK any harm! His best footy came after he turned 24!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    To me,a player like Vez needs lots of game time to get fit coz he loves playing. Thats the way he will build it up. He doesn't quite fit the normal mode hence comparisons to the legendary Nick Davis..hope he turns out 1/2 as good.
    It often commented that there is no substitute for match fitness. But then again this is most commonly linked to established players coming back from injury.
    We will see him again soon enough, in the mean time we will have to look forward to Kirky's goal celebrations instead.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456