Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have vid of Mike Pyke's mark and play on goal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    also depressing to see the score when he kicked that!
    Thought the same thing.

He actually looked quite relaxed, almost a natural - It was great to see it finally happen for him - so Jetta should take heart - its taken Pyke 18 months to get his first goal - so see,all good things take time!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    He actually looked quite relaxed, almost a natural - It was great to see it finally happen for him - so Jetta should take heart - its taken Pyke 18 months to get his first goal - so see,all good things take time!
    Jets kicked a goal in the ressies.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Jets kicked a goal in the ressies.

thats good - now lets hope he gets one in Seniors sooner rather than later!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Actually Pykie has a few goals in ressies, one outstanding going back with the flight mark as well plus a lot of other good things, especially his tap rucking. Must concur that his first senior goal was a bit of all right. Highlight reel.

I think they are grooming him as a popup player, come in when someone gets injured. After all he has only being playing the game for 18 months, in total.......it seems to me that an awful lot is expected from him by the fans. A lot of it is unreasonable.

He had to play seniors last year (it wasn't planned), we ran out of ruckmen. He had to play this year, ditto. Hells Bells people, the man is doing just fine, for a rugby union player from Canada....!!!!!!!! He looks more and more like an AFL player each time I watch him play.
    Last edited by Primmy; 5th July 2010 at 03:02 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Actually Pykie has a few goals in ressies, one outstanding going back with the flight mark as well plus a lot of other good things, especially his tap rucking. Must concur that his first senior goal was a bit of all right. Highlight reel.

I think they are grooming him as a popup player, come in when someone gets injured. After all he has only being playing the game for 18 months, in total.......it seems to me that an awful lot is expected from him by the fans. A lot of it is unreasonable.

He had to play seniors last year (it wasn't planned), we ran out of ruckmen. He had to play this year, ditto. Hells Bells people, the man is doing just fine, for a rugby union player from Canada....!!!!!!!! He looks more and more like an AFL player each time I watch him play.
    theres no denying his improvement and how well he has done but this is the premier competition in the country, well in the world, wouldnt it make sense to give the same developmental opportunity to a young player who has played the game growing up and isnt learning from scratch
    Theres not much left to say

Veterans List
    theres no denying his improvement and how well he has done but this is the premier competition in the country, well in the world, wouldnt it make sense to give the same developmental opportunity to a young player who has played the game growing up and isnt learning from scratch
    As long as they are established international football players we should.

Alternatively, we could pay him five times as much as we do to give him some parity with Australian players coming across from the Rugby codes.

I don't understand why he always passes the ball off, he's not a bad kick from the rare times that he has kicked it. His ruckwork has really improved and they will fit him in somewhere in the team next year.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I don't understand why he always passes the ball off, he's not a bad kick from the rare times that he has kicked it..
    I couldn't agree more - every time he gets the ball he looks to dish. I think his kicking is pretty good. The pass into Geelong's forward 50 at Kardina was great IIRC.

Senior Player
    Pyke is the only ruckman playing regular reserves footy with senior experience, so in that respect it makes more sense to play Pyke than Currie/Orreal (when fit). Those guys are still young, they have plenty of time, and they probably need to bulk up a bit to really match it with the bigger bodies at AFL level. Pyke doesn't need that - he's probably better built than a lot of his opponents. I know where you're coming from, but IMO, Pyke makes sense.

Who did you have in mind. Developing ruckmen take a great deal longer than their counterparts to develop and its not as though the afl are knee deep in them. They are the tenors of the competition. Ruckman are rare, and good ones moreso.

How much did Pyke cost? We got him cheap with concessions and a ready made big bodied athlete with known credentials and big game experience. How much do you rate enthusiasm? He came knocking; and he has learned this game in 18 months.

Noone can doubt his rucking ability, and that's the important part at this stage. With Seaby gone we had to have a backup to rest Mummy, and to also release him when needed, such as we did against Richmond when Henry went down. It meant that Mummy could play up the ground, and Pyke take over the ruck.

We would not have been able to do that with an inexperienced young player.
    Last edited by Primmy; 6th July 2010 at 10:38 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Who did you have in mind. Developing ruckmen take a great deal longer than their counterparts to develop and its not as though the afl are knee deep in them...
    Exactly, look how long it took for Jamar to reach the top level. He has been playing seniors for 7 years, admittedly as second or third choice early on, but he is only this year become one of the top ruckmen in the league.
    But then I s'pose the counter argument is Mummy, who is just a natural.

edit: just looked at Nich's Rohan vid. Love that effort, bring back the Rooster.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 6th July 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wasting time watching youtube
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast