Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have vid of Mike Pyke's mark and play on goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Who did you have in mind. Developing ruckmen take a great deal longer than their counterparts to develop and its not as though the afl are knee deep in them. They are the tenors of the competition. Ruckman are rare, and good ones moreso.

How much did Pyke cost? We got him cheap with concessions and a ready made big bodied athlete with known credentials and big game experience. How much do you rate enthusiasm? He came knocking; and he has learned this game in 18 months.

Noone can doubt his rucking ability, and that's the important part at this stage. With Seaby gone we had to have a backup to rest Mummy, and to also release him when needed, such as we did against Richmond when Henry went down. It meant that Mummy could play up the ground, and Pyke take over the ruck.

We would not have been able to do that with an inexperienced young player.
    granted i just think you could of looked at someone from a vfl level or something like and put the same amount of time in and with the same endevour they could be ahead of where pyke is. Yes his ruckwork isnt too and and he has improved a bit, but it helps expectation is so low as well.

I admire what his done and how he has developed but it just seems a bit silly at times given he cannot do much else outside of get the odd tap. I just wonder if as i said a mature age player was drafted with a bit of lower level experience could we not of developed someone better than what pyke is now
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    given he cannot do much else outside of get the odd tap.
    Ludicrous considering the thread title!
    -

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    granted i just think you could of looked at someone from a vfl level or something like and put the same amount of time in and with the same endevour they could be ahead of where pyke is. Yes his ruckwork isnt too and and he has improved a bit, but it helps expectation is so low as well.

I admire what his done and how he has developed but it just seems a bit silly at times given he cannot do much else outside of get the odd tap. I just wonder if as i said a mature age player was drafted with a bit of lower level experience could we not of developed someone better than what pyke is now
    Like Chambers maybe?

There are a lot of ruckmen plying their trade in the senior AFL ranks who add very little other than competing at centre bounces. Some struggle to do more than that until they have a few years under their belt. Some struggle to do more after years in the AFL. Pyke already contributes reasonably well around the ground. Sure, he looked lost against the Pies but was solid in defence against Port, taking a few very handy marks. He's is certainly streets ahead of anything Chambers ever produced for us, while Meiklejohn, Shaw, Erickson and Piltz are names of illustrious rucks who between them filled a spot on our list for nearly a decade for the grand total of about 2 senior games, and probably one mark and one tackle between them. Meiklejohn and Chambers couldn't even mark the ball at reserves level (though MJ sounds like he has developed significantly since he left us, to the point of being talked up as a mature aged draftee in the next year or so).

Veterans List
    Good post Liz. Can I be more simplistic? I go to games to watch the players on my team improve. When I see Mummy and Jude and LRT, B2 and Shaw and how they have improved in very different time frames I'm amazed by their effort and skill. On the other hand I see lazy players waste their gifts and I despair - Hanners' upward trajectory may soon cross Adam's downward one. We knew Mummy had potential and he's on track to reach it. Pike was a no-risk gamble and it's a mark of his maturity that he stepped in last year when he wasn't ready but was needed. This year I can't think of another Swans player that I can watch improve almost game by game as I can with him. I think back to when Cox was crap and wonder just how far Myke can go - could he become a star? He's got the speed, smarts and agility and obviously the dedication. So in one way he's the reason I go to the footy.

Around the packs he looks lost when the balls on the deck, Mummy is exceptionally good in these situations. On the other hand Mummy isn't that great a mark currently, where as Pykey has displayed pretty strong clean hands. Sticking Pykey in the goal square now and then could prove to be profitable both for the team and for Pyke's confidence. I would like to see this more often.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Around the packs he looks lost when the balls on the deck, Mummy is exceptionally good in these situations. On the other hand Mummy isn't that great a mark currently, where as Pykey has displayed pretty strong clean hands. Sticking Pykey in the goal square now and then could prove to be profitable both for the team and for Pyke's confidence. I would like to see this more often.
    Emphatically agree with this. Hard to think of a more dangerous 'resting' ruckman. That grab on Sunday, splitting two defenders and sending them sprawling, was genuinely awesome, topped off by the smarts and agility to play on and goal.
    Last edited by dimelb; 6th July 2010 at 04:40 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Emphatically agree with this. Hard to think of a more dangerous 'resting' ruckman. That grab on Sunday, splitting two defenders and sending them sprawling, was genuinely awesome, topped off by the smarts and agility to play on and goal.
    watch the replay and notice how he takes body contact mid jump and still pulls the mark down. Great work.

p.s I like his 2 footed basketball jump to get there :d

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Like Chambers maybe?

There are a lot of ruckmen plying their trade in the senior AFL ranks who add very little other than competing at centre bounces.
    Exactly, dad was sooking the other week about Mike, and besides all the other points mentioned, one more is name 2 good ruck combos from other sides.... The average supporter can't get more than 3 or 4 clubs deep, and i'd highly doubt there is more than 8-10 doing better week in week out than our 2 boys have been doing hit out wins and around the ground combined.

And for us to be in the position through injury and our younger ruck stocks not quite there, then I think Mike is doing us all proud for little loss.

I've put Gary's 1st goal up there now as well. I feel inspired. If you can think of anyone in the past couple of years whose first goal you would like to see let me know - I'll try to track it down and upload it. Waiting patiently for Jetta's one now : ) I might compile a video of all his behinds and then finish the vid of with his first Major : )

Roosters Roost

And Pykey was the first one up to congratulate him. What a lovely tie in to this thread. Share the love - group hug everyone.
    Last edited by Nich; 6th July 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I've put Gary's 1st goal up there now as well. I feel inspired. If you can think of anyone in the past couple of years whose first goal you would like to see let me know - I'll try to track it down and upload it. Waiting patiently for Jetta's one now : ) I might compile a video of all his behinds and then finish the vid of with his first Major : )

Roosters Roost

And Pykey was the first one up to congratulate him. What a lovely tie in to this thread. Share the love - group hug everyone.
    I wish.....me, Pykey, Mummy, Jude, Hanners, ROK, Kirky, Joey, throw in LRT, its getting better and better.
    Last edited by Primmy; 6th July 2010 at 07:08 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's is certainly streets ahead of anything Chambers ever produced for us, while Meiklejohn, Shaw, Erickson and Piltz are names of illustrious rucks......
    Piltz?

I've been playing a game with myself trying to work out who you've mixed him up with. Having no luck.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Piltz?

I've been playing a game with myself trying to work out who you've mixed him up with. Having no luck.
    Brent Piltz - unless I've spelt his name wrong. He came off the rookie list and I believe played just one game (might be two) with the senior team in the very early naughties.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast