Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Johnston a Chance to get a Call Up.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Yeah and we lost to richmond. Not syaing its a bad move, but it's not the answer to our forward woes. We have no Bradshaw, no White ( he's injured right?), and now no Henry. Goodes is our only tall target down there. Bring in LJ, time to throw caution to the wind. Chuck the Rooster up forward as well. Giving us a forward line look of ( in no particular order) TDL, Rohan, Goodes, LJ, McGlynn, Moore. At the very least there'll be some added spark with Rohan, and Moore and McGlynn add alot thats been missing the past couple of months. If LJ can run around a HFF, take a few marks and kick a few into the F50 than that would be a productive outing IMO.
    I think we lost to Richmond because our midfield stood around watching the Tigers run past and then Kennelly particularly couldn't spoil the way any defender should be able to. White's just doubtful but Rohan is out?

I gather Johnston is borderline for the seniors - if we play him and break him I expect RWO to go into meltdown. If he plays and steps up and TDL gets over his stage fright - and Jets comes back to move the bloody ball forward - it could be a good game to watch. But I'm expecting another dour Roos vs Roos struggle.

Or maybe we'll get the Moose and Gopher double act a la Kosi-Milne. The chance of that will be enough to get me there on Sunday.

i dont think there is much choice we have to play either Johnston or White considering our injury woes. Johnston is in better form so bring him in.
    For what its worth i would love to see vez, rohan & white in there too. How young and exciting would our forward line be then.

Moore McGlynn Johnston
    TDL Goodes

He's not big enough to play KP?

Stick him on a flank. If Jetta's big enough to play in the big time...
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDuckling View Post
    i dont think there is much choice we have to play either Johnston or White considering our injury woes. Johnston is in better form so bring him in.
    For what its worth i would love to see vez, rohan & white in there too. How young and exciting would our forward line be then.

Moore McGlynn Johnston
    TDL Goodes
    Am I missing something? AFL.com.au has our injuries as:

Craig Bird (foot) - 2-3 weeks
    Craig Bolton (achilles) - 3-4 weeks
    Daniel Bradshaw (hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
    Matt O?Dwyer (shoulder) - 1-2 weeks
    Jake Orreal (back) - season
    Henry Playfair (back) - indefinite
    Gary Rohan (ankle) - 1-2 weeks
    Mark Seaby (ankle) - 3-4 weeks

Why is everyone expecting to see Rohan on the field? Any other diagnoses wrong, too? (Hopefully Bradshaw)

Pushing for Selection
    In my opinion it's time, he is of near identical height and weight (a year younger granted) to Aaron Cornelius of Brisbane and in a similiar situation to us with injury and the need to play him, his body has certainly stood up thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Why is everyone expecting to see Rohan on the field?
    It is a puzzle.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Play him. Perfect opportunity.

Melbourne played Watts when he wasn't ready and he's starting to look alright.
    They played Watts when he had no pre-season and coming off a handfull of reserves games and it put back his development by a full 12 months according to sources at Melbourne.

Funny how this year they made him do a full preseason and then a 10 game stint in the reserves even before they considered him.

Play LJ if you want too, just don't whinge when he doesn't get another game for 12 months becuase he wasn't ready and we played him for the sake of it.

He is getting closer and looks to have strung the game and form together consistently over the last 4 weeks which is what the club asked for, but the decision by the club should not to play him because we have no one else or that he is young. It should be because he is ready and earned it.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

I hardly think LJ has the pressure on him or hype surronding him that Jack Watts had. I doubt many non Swans supporters have even heard of him. Sure they are comparable in some ways, but Watts was barely 18 when he debuted, and was clearly not ready mentally or physically. LJ may not be either but he doesn't have anywhere near the psychological baggage that must come with being a number 1 draft pick ( that many believe was the worng choice), particularly at a struggling Melbourne club begging for a Saviour.

Looking at them today, LJ is more solid than TDL. Might be the electro-static hair do. Put both of them together and you get the Jesse White physique.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Looking at them today, LJ is more solid than TDL. Might be the electro-static hair do. Put both of them together and you get the Jesse White physique.
    I suspect the issue with LJ is less physique and more whether he has the endurance base to contribute at senior level. TDL is 3 years older, and although he was only playing in the WAFL until the end of last year, he has still probably done more intense training for a longer period than Johnston will have been able to do. Plus he played for the whole of last year and got in a full pre-season while Johnston was on the side-lines with foot problems.

That said, about a month ago one of the reserves coaches announced that he though LJ was ready for senior footy now if the opportunity came his way. His reserves form since then has been reasonable to very good. So given we have almost no tall forwards available for selection other than LJ, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get a go. On the other hand, I am not expecting him to come in and set the world on fire from game one.

I agree Liz. Everyone says play the kids BUT then don't allow for the mistakes that they make because of their lack of experience.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    They played Watts when he had no pre-season and coming off a handfull of reserves games and it put back his development by a full 12 months according to sources at Melbourne.

Funny how this year they made him do a full preseason and then a 10 game stint in the reserves even before they considered him.

Play LJ if you want too, just don't whinge when he doesn't get another game for 12 months becuase he wasn't ready and we played him for the sake of it.

He is getting closer and looks to have strung the game and form together consistently over the last 4 weeks which is what the club asked for, but the decision by the club should not to play him because we have no one else or that he is young. It should be because he is ready and earned it.

DST
    Specifically, what 'damage' is done - physical, emotional or psychological?

Crikey, we're not sending them to war.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast