Sunday 11th July 2010 9.50am
    Sydney Cricket Ground

Ladder
    TeamWinsLossesDrawsPointsForAgainstPercentage
    Reserves911381344900149.33%
    Ainslie641261008882114.29%
    Belconnen6502486391194.73%
    Eastlake470161022938108.96%
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Queanbeyan47016948116581.37%
    Tuggeranong38012883127269.42%

Past Meetings
    R5 Tuggeranong 22.12 (144) defeated Reserves 13.13 (91) @ Greenway Oval

A depleted Swans side of only 12 listed players and 20 in total fell away in the last quarter to suffer their only loss to date. Trent Dennis-Lane led the way with 3 goals while Campbell Heath, Daniel Currie and Dylan McNeil were named as the Swans' best players

R8 Reserves 28.12 (180) defeated Tuggeranong 11.6 (72) @ Greenway Oval

A last-minute change of venue due to the inclement weather proved no obstacle for the Reserves, who steamrolled the disappointing Hawks. Top-up player Kieran Emery had a day out with 8 goals, followed by Trent Dennis-Lane with 5 and Lewis Johnston 4. Sam Reid, Dylan McNeil and Pat Veszpremi were named as the Swans' best players.

R4 Tuggeranong 20.10 (130) defeated Reserves 18.9 (117) @ Dairy Farmers Park
    R9 Tuggeranong 15.16 (106) defeated Reserves 9.12 (66) @ Greenway Oval
    R14 Reserves 27.12 (174) defeated Tuggeranong 15.13 (103) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
    R18 Reserves 22.7 (139) defeated Tuggeranong 19.14 (128) @ ANZ Stadium

Recent Form
    Reserves - DWWWW
    Tuggeranong - LLLWL

Last Round
    Belconnen 11.7 (73) defeated by Reserves 14.13 (97)

The Reserves continued their much improved away form by easily accounting for the Magpies. They led by 44 points at the last change before a string of injuries allowed Belconnen to close the gap to respectable 24 points. Gary Rohan bounced back from his dropping with 3 goals while Lewis Johnston, Ted Richards and Brett Meredith pushed their claims for senior selection with impressive games.

Tuggeranong 6.4 (40) defeated by Ainslie 14.8 (92)

Tuggeranong couldn't follow up their impressive victory against Belconnen the previous week, and fell away after a competitive first half.

(Provisional) Team List (number of 2010 AFL Canberra games in brackets)
    Listed players

• 11. Ed Barlow [8]
    • 13. Pat Veszpremi [10] (Senior emergency)
    • 18. Jesse White [2]
    • 20. Sam Reid [10]
    • 22. Byron Sumner [6]
    • 23. Lewis Johnston [11] (Senior emergency)
    • 27. Kristin Thornton [6]
    • 28. Dylan McNeil [10]
    • 32. Lewis Jetta [2] (Senior emergency)
    • 35. Campbell Heath [7]
    • 36. Chris McKaigue [9]
    • 45. Nathan Gordon [11]
    • 46. Taylor Gilchrist [9]

In: Barlow (injured/rest?), McNeil (injured/rest?), Heath (injured/rest?),
    Out: Brett Meredith (Senior promotion), Daniel Currie (injured/rest?), Gary Rohan (injured), Ted Richards (Senior promotion), Matt O'Dwyer (injured)

Just 13 listed players this week due to a spate of injuries to both senior and reserves players. This number might possibly fall to 12 if one of the emergencies rests in the 2nd half, as it the usual practice.

Scholarship Players

• 47. Jackson Potter [6]
    • 48. Blake Guthrie [4]
    • 49. Jack Lynch [3]
    • 52. Mitch May [5]

In: Potter, Guthrie, Lynch

To cover for the shortfall of listed players, 4 scholarship players will be used.

Top ups

• 50. Eugene Kruger (East Coast) [2]
    • 51. Kieran Emery (North Shore) [6]
    • 53. Chris Bolt (Balmain Dockers) [1]
    • 54. Matthew Lemme (Western Suburbs) [0]
    • 55. Gabe Robbie (Sydney Uni) [0]
    • 56. Ben Habberly (UNSW-ES) [0]

Emery kicked 8 the last time he played the Hawks, but possibly could be used in a ruck role with Currie not appearing this week. Kruger starred with 4 goals at the last home game.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Trent Dennis-Lane 33
    • Lewis Johnston 25
    • Henry Playfair 20

For full list: 2010 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Dylan McNeil 30
    • Daniel Currie 26
    • Matthew O'Dwyer 25

For full list: 2010 Best votes - RWOwiki

Tuggeranong
    Although they have struggled to make the finals in recent years, Tuggeranong have shown an ability to knock off some of the top teams in the league. A 3-3 record against the Swans over the past 2 years is an impressive one, while their unexpected victory against Belconnen was driven by a suffocating defensive performance. Some players to look out for:

• 19. Ash Pocock - Switched from defence to attack this season with good results, leading the Hawks' goalkicking with 25 from 11 games.
    • 36. Ben Symons - A teenager (either 16 or 17), only made his senior debut this year but has impressed in a midfield/half-forward role being named in the best lists an equal team-high 6 times. The Swans will be familiar with Symons's talent, as he starred with 4 goals and BOG honours in the Hawks Round 5 win over the Swans.

Talking points

• White - his last reserves game was labelled poor by the Daily Terror as he finished with only 1 goal and a shoulder injury. With no Currie, he may see some time in the ruck.
    • Veszpremi - I expect to see a fired up Veszpremi out there today. His first quarter in the last home game was just scintillating.
    • Barlow - the forgotten man? Hasn't seen action for 2 games now. Hopefully the next thread on him will be about his footy exploits not cheesy puns about his nickname.
    • Jetta - a goal at Manuka, but can he kick them where it really counts?
    Last edited by ugg; 9th July 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Ugg, as usual, a high standard is set in your ressie posts. Highly impressive and you should get 10 cartons in the beer economy.

As the game hasn't been transfered back to Canberra because of the rain, and with a sunny day predicted tomorrow, I hope the ressies are at the SCG on Sunday as I will be there early to watch. How do we find out if the game is transferred at the last minute so to speak?
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The last time it happened, Larissa posted on the forum quick smart. However I think it's pretty safe to assume it's too late to transfer it and besides, the weather forecast is a clear day tomorrow and only light rain on Sunday.

Thanks and make that 11 cartons!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Ugg, your work on the ressies is beyond praise. Professional journos get away with doing less for the ones. I'll raise the kitty to a dozen.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

This game shapes as a real test for the ressies, with interest in who steps up and takes a true leadership role amongst this young group.

... at 23 y.o. Cheese is the "veteran", and other than White & Thornton (22), Vez & McKaigue (20), they are all 19 y.o. or younger.

The 4 scholarship boys were all playing u/16's last year along with top ups Robbie and Lemme!

Veterans List
    Thanks Ugg, a comprehensive and interesting read. Was wondering if any of the scholarship players is showing anything that may find them a rookie chance?

Well done Ugg, another excellent preview.

My nephew is coming along again, so I will twitter the stats quarter by quarter again to supplement your excellent blow by blow tweets.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Excellent! Great to see Keiran and Eugene again. I would like to confirm my thoughts about them.

Suggest you all keep an eye on 50 Eugene Kruger and see what you think. My opinion is that he has a particularly quick response and great awareness.

Also rate Keiran Emery's improved efforts.

And if Jetts does kick a goal, may we all consipire to go off our nuts?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Tweeting live from Swans Reserves v Tuggeranong from 9.50 am. Comments and questions are most welcome

www.twitter.com/swansreserves

9.50? Bit early. Geez, those poor buggers playing have it tough.

White on fire with 4 goals in the first quarter. Johnston, Vespa and Sumner with 1 each. 7.5.47 to 0.1.1.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast