Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick our finals squad

Can you hear it? It someone singing. A woman's voice. It's Susan Boyle singing I dreamed a dream.

With 7 games left, and 5 against teams in the top 8 of which we would likely only beat Carlton on current form. Then we hit a red hot demons plus Lions in the final round at home trying to make amends for a poor year.

I'll return to this thread after we win four more games. More important things to do than play fantasy football.

BAHHHHHHHH HUUMMMBBBUUUG !!!
    Last edited by Bas; 12th July 2010 at 04:09 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

We REALLY need Bardshaw, Seaby and Bolton back in the side by the Geelong or Hawthorn game at the latest!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I agree with Moore and Shaw, but McGlynn, really? I think he's been fantastic and we missed him dreadfully when out injured.
    McGlynn gives us drive out of the midfield when he plays there - a bit like Crouch and Willo used to do. And there's normally a Swans player at the end of his kick. I'd only drop him if he lost a leg.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Can you hear it? It someone singing. A woman's voice. It's Susan Boyle singing I dreamed a dream.

With 7 games left, and 5 against teams in the top 8 of which we would likely only beat Carlton on current form. Then we hit a red hot demons plus Lions in the final round at home trying to make amends for a poor year.

I'll return to this thread after we win four more games. More important things to do than play fantasy football.

BAHHHHHHHH HUUMMMBBBUUUG !!!
    I agree, lets get enough wins to make the 8 first! Its gonna be bloody hard, that richmond loss will hurt big time IMO. I just did that ladder predictor and tipped all teams who should win in the remaining games for the season, give or take a few hard to pick games, and it had swans finishing 10th!

Wtf how did we end up 10th? I think you've overrated Adelaide and North if you came to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    u lost me when u put jack as an emergency
    Yep...I was trying to be one of the cool kids.

If you take out TDL/Ves, but McGlynn in the FP and Jack on the HFF, I doubt they'll be too many who argue.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the Rookie List
    [QUOTE=Bas;496206]Can you hear it? It someone singing. A woman's voice. It's Susan Boyle singing I dreamed a dream.

The point is that if we can't beat the teams in the top 8 then the finals are going to be over pretty quickly for us. If we can't beat a top 4 side all hopes of going on with it are just fantasy. To make the finals is a good goal to have but surely we don't just want to make up the numbers. Therefore we gotta start beating sides higher than us on the ladder otherwise our finals campaign will be embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    McGlynn has been an incredibly consistent when fit... He is basically a shorter combination of Kirk and Jude who kicks goals, easily in our best 22.
    Perfect description!

Regular in the Side
    Interesting to see everyone thus far pick Kirk.

Although Captain Kirk had a pretty good recent game against the Kangaroos, I suspect he is very close to hitting an ageing wall, and by September he might be just off physically the mark to make a true blue top 22. Afterall, he is no longer in the list of the game's top tacklers.

That said, although sentiment should not play a role, (anyone following cricket and Ian Healy will understand), one must factor in the advantages of his leadership and inspiration role on field. Personally I am in two minds, but would be interested in some feed back.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post

Although Captain Kirk had a pretty good recent game against the Kangaroos, I suspect he is very close to hitting an ageing wall, and by September he might be just off physically the mark to make a true blue top 22. Afterall, he is no longer in the list of the game's top tacklers.

That said, although sentiment should not play a role, (anyone following cricket and Ian Healy will understand), one must factor in the advantages of his leadership and inspiration role on field. Personally I am in two minds, but would be interested in some feed back.
    He's sixth on the list of the competition's top tacklers - I'd think that was still "in the list". And he's ahead of every other Swan, with Jack and B2 behind him. Swallow is ahead of him and we saw how that match up worked out last weekend. Like LRT you may not like the way he plays but there's no doubting his vital role on the team.

Personally, I'd keep him in he was doing nothing just to watch his celebrations when he kicks a goal - it's like watching a three year old after too much red cordial!

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post

If we play finals he will be there whether we like it or not. It wouldn't matter if he was in a wheelchair he would still be picked. Just his presence on the ground would be reason enough. Having said that i stuck him in the forward pocket.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    If we play finals he will be there whether we like it or not. It wouldn't matter if he was in a wheelchair he would still be picked. Just his presence on the ground would be reason enough. Having said that i stuck him in the forward pocket.
    It's also worth noting that Kirk laid 13 tackles on Sunday. The next best was his "Grasshopper" - Kennedy - and Jack with 6 each. That's hardly the sign of an old man slowing down towards the end of the season (despite what was said at the aftermatch about Kirk looking old) but more like a great player planning on going out on a high note.

Good to see the old guys like Boomer and Kirk play as well as they do - and for "young" Keiren to flatten Boomer with that tackle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast