Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MIke Pyke The Greatest Canadian Footballer of all time

MIke Pyke The Greatest Canadian Footballer of all time

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225896277953

Getting the plaudits he deserves. GC 17 would be nuts to not try for either Seaby or Pyke
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Veterans List
    Now there's the perfect example of a manager-placed article.

According to google a soccer player called Craig Forest was the greatest Canadian footballer of all time.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    According to google a soccer player called Craig Forest was the greatest Canadian footballer of all time.
    I wonder how many people play Canadian Football?
    And I hope we hang onto Mike; he's only going to get better.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Above everything else, its a great Thead heading!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I really hope we keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225896277953

Getting the plaudits he deserves. GC 17 would be nuts to not try for either Seaby or Pyke
    Seaby is not an option for the GCS as he has a further 2 years to run on his contact and we are highly unlikely to trade Seaby ahead of re-signing Pyke to an extended deal.

Would love to see Pyke stay, but as the third ruckman on the list we maybe suspect to a Mumford type deal that we can't match for salary or playing time.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Dunno if anyone has noticed, but we would have been stuffed without the 3rd big ruckman option this year.....so why wouldn't they keep him? Seabs does very well up forward, so only keeping 2 ruckies is not exactly critical. Our developing ruckmen, Curry who hasn't got a gig yet, and poor ole Jake Oreal who is out all season with a back injury and was a work in progress anyway, aren't actually knocking down the door as yet. Our other partial ruckman is Reid, and he is a very handy backman. Choices, choices......but if we trade Pyke, we could get a huge benefit because Ruck stocks are always lean.....he wins, we win, no matter what. I'd rather he stay.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I vote for him to stay as well, because he's showing improvement around the ground. I think Seaby and Mumford are going to be the two rucks next year, but fitting Pyke into the 22, even if on the bench, adds versatility. I look at his progress, especially down back in the two's, and can't help but think he might be a tall utility, able to play Ruck or a KP in case of injury. Certainly worth holding on to.
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    I vote for him to stay as well, because he's showing improvement around the ground. I think Seaby and Mumford are going to be the two rucks next year, but fitting Pyke into the 22, even if on the bench, adds versatility. I look at his progress, especially down back in the two's, and can't help but think he might be a tall utility, able to play Ruck or a KP in case of injury. Certainly worth holding on to.
    Agree. He has an improving sense of where to be and when: ruck, wing, forward, back. The bloke is a gifted athlete and a smart learner. And the size of him! He will end up as one of the best utilities in the league.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

We definitely need to keep him. He offers us so much as a 3rd tall, his rate of improvement is extraordinary and he's a very decent bloke as well.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Some have noted with rolled eyes that Pykey has been named at CHF a couple of times. Did you notice that he actually played CHF for some periods of the game (notably the opening 5 minutes). Still waiting for those who said he had no skills to hand up and admit I was right (Around Richmond game last year) that he can actually kick a footy pretty well...better than a number of other AFL ruckmen, anyway.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast