Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The positives

Desperately need a couple of very quick outside midfielders who only know one way and that is forward motion.

Hannaberry, Jack and Bird look very capable but they are not the cream that will be required to get ourselves from middle to elite again.

If only Tom Mitchell was coming this year and not the next as we need him in the system now.

Just need to find a gem somewhere later in the first round this year.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Desperately need a couple of very quick outside midfielders who only know one way and that is forward motion.

Hannaberry, Jack and Bird look very capable but they are not the cream that will be required to get ourselves from middle to elite again.

If only Tom Mitchell was coming this year and not the next as we need him in the system now.

DST
    Throw the Ranga in!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I chose the right day to spend studying.
    The game has now been deleted from my hard drive.

Veterans List
    The positive. Make Hannaberry captain in 2011.

DST
    i think we need what everyone needs as a result of afl hq strategy - faster players - the days of inside midfielders like couch, williams, hocking are over. we need leg speed desperately

Veteran Site Admin

DST
    Not sure you can conclude that Hannebury is not the cream. Too early to say for sure that he is, but certainly the evidence from today supports the hope that he will become that. He showed assurity and decision making and the ability to find the ball that almost every other midfield Swan failed to do today. He is not a speedster, but then nor are Black, Selwood, Bartel and the like.

As for Mitchell, I've not seen him play but I was under the impression (from what I have read about him) that he was another mid-paced inside clearance player. Can anyone who has seen him dispel this impression?

Absolutely no positives.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    i think we need what everyone needs as a result of afl hq strategy - faster players - the days of inside midfielders like couch, williams, hocking are over. we need leg speed desperately
    Leg speed can help but I think it is tiny part of the equation. Geelong have a handful of speedsters but on the whole, they are not a lightning quick side by foot. They just move the ball very quickly and have exquisite skills. Similarly, I don't even think the Bulldogs are that quick by foot - or at least, that they have a large number of really quick players. Again they (usually) just use the ball very well. Even today, while much was being made of the Dees' footspeed, I think it was more their mindset of "run, run, run" coupled with exceptionally good ball use that made us look so slow.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Leg speed can help but I think it is tiny part of the equation. Geelong have a handful of speedsters but on the whole, they are not a lightning quick side by foot. They just move the ball very quickly and have exquisite skills. Similarly, I don't even think the Bulldogs are that quick by foot - or at least, that they have a large number of really quick players. Again they (usually) just use the ball very well. Even today, while much was being made of the Dees' footspeed, I think it was more their mindset of "run, run, run" coupled with exceptionally good ball use that made us look so slow.
    What ever you call it leg speed , aerobic capacity, agilility, passion, footy smarts or all of the above we're too old and too slow as simple as that, we will never win a flag with that group.

Quote Originally Posted by sWAns63 View Post
    What ever you call it leg speed , aerobic capacity, agilility, passion, footy smarts or all of the above we're too old and too slow as simple as that, we will never win a flag with that group.
    Never were gunna win the flag with this group. Very few positives, our decision making is as much to blame as our pace and the reliance of handball from the back half worked five years ago but the quicker teams Bulldogs, pies and Dees wait for it pressure us and exploit it. We can not handle the quick ball movement. I am a Roosy fan but it is time to change the game plan to make it fit the cattle we've got not those of 5 years ago, hopefully Horse brings change.

I don't believe in exposing youth on mass to get slaughtered is a good option but surely have to play some more youth.

The commentators, as disgusting as they were, hinted at our plan being based around playing at the SCG. Have to agree a bit (begrudgingly), and if you can't play on the MCG you can't win the ultimate prize. Time for a new plan and maybe a few years pain.

Biggest positive White led well early and if we had won the midfield I think he may have kicked a bag, He is still a work in progress but a big positive the way he has come back from holidays.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dees played fantastic contested footy. It always seemed like there were 10 more demons than swans everywhere. Their 1%ers were excellent. How good was that chase down on Jetta?
    So whilst they did use the ball well when they didn't have it they attacked and bullied us everywhere. They backed each other up fantastically.
    I don't think there was a lot of players in red and white willing do the really hard and tough stuff when the ball was a 50/50.
    We need to be doing more of that consistently and matching teams when they bring it.
    Last edited by Lucky Knickers; 25th July 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    that might be so but what i remember was batram runnin g past moore, green running past grundy, vonamieri running past malceski, some other demon running past white, jamar running too fast for pyke or mummy, bruce running past o keefe, the bald no.2 running past kirk...need i go on ? Whether it was by mind or desire or just plaikn old physically faster they killed us with speed - as does collingwood, dogs. i grant geelong dont but thats because they win the hard balls against us so often...these guys are simply too quick for us

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast