Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Round 18: Geelong pre-game discussion (With Teams)

At least we will still be in the top 8 after this weekend.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

I've started putting together a new template for pregame info, match preview etc.

If you have any feedback on content, formatting, site positioning or process, feel free to have your say in this -> thread

Coincidence or intelligent coaching? Watching Essendon last night reminded me of Melbourne thrashing us last week. St Kilda under Lyons, ex Swan coaching team, plays similarly to Sydney. Melbourne did their homework on us. Essendon coaches probably watched our game against Melbourne in their preparation against St Kilda. Roos said he would forget last week's loss but I doubt that coaches of our remaining opponents won't review that game over and over. A red flashing beacon THIS IS HOW TO BEAT THE SWANS. (includes, but is not limited to, kick it, kick it fast, kick it to a contest, play on at every opportunity, get to the ball first, get it out fast, handball then kick to target, kick to a contest, kick it to a contest, kick it forward, not back...)

Same team, same coaches, same head in the sand attitude. Even if all the boys play their guts out, our unaltered game plan will see us go down against Geelong in a screaming heap. And I hope I am dead wrong.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Richards View Post
    Coincidence or intelligent coaching? Watching Essendon last night reminded me of Melbourne thrashing us last week. St Kilda under Lyons, ex Swan coaching team, plays similarly to Sydney. Melbourne did their homework on us. Essendon coaches probably watched our game against Melbourne in their preparation against St Kilda. Roos said he would forget last week's loss but I doubt that coaches of our remaining opponents won't review that game over and over. A red flashing beacon THIS IS HOW TO BEAT THE SWANS. (includes, but is not limited to, kick it, kick it fast, kick it to a contest, play on at every opportunity, get to the ball first, get it out fast, handball then kick to target, kick to a contest, kick it to a contest, kick it forward, not back...)

Same team, same coaches, same head in the sand attitude. Even if all the boys play their guts out, our unaltered game plan will see us go down against Geelong in a screaming heap. And I hope I am dead wrong.
    That sounds like the game plan the Swans used to flatten the Blues. The Bombers didn't even have to work as hard at spreading last night as the Dees did last week. And the Bombers played heaps of tempo footy - when the Saints flooded forward the Bombers kicked backwards and sideways until they had to come out and then the Bombers went forward. Simple really - try hard, win games.

When the Swans play aggressive footy they play on and move the ball with confidence. When they go into their shell they try to do their "tempo" thing but it's far less effective these days as there's no element of surprise. Saying the Swans still have the same gameplan as 2005 is too simplistic. Like every other team, deny them the ball and they look incompetent and lose.

And isn't it pure bliss to see the Saints look woeful while Bruce leads the commentary wankers are declaring "if the Saints just kick another goal the task they face isn't impossible", then the Bombers score again? I didn't hear much about how the Swans could come back last week when the game was just as much out of our grasp.

I hope McVeigh sat up last night and studied how his big brother did it. I bet that game encouraged the Cats not to be complacent. I hope it also gave the Swans some hope that tonight could surprise some people.
    Last edited by Go Swannies; 31st July 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    That sounds like the game plan the Swans used to flatten the Blues. The Bombers didn't even have to work as hard at spreading last night as the Dees did last week. And the Bombers played heaps of tempo footy - when the Saints flooded forward the Bombers kicked backwards and sideways until they had to come out and then the Bombers went forward. Simple really - try hard, win games.
    Good points, Go Swannies. Except that we try not to kick to a contest because we are pretty woeful overall at contested marks and Melbourne exploited this. And, did you notice, when Essendon were kicking it around the back line how fast they did it? Seemed like twice as fast as we do.

Ablett, Scarlett, Mooney, and Ottens go down i the first minute, then we might have the slightest......................nope, we'd stilll lose.

Backs against the wall, written off by just about all...this is a time for bloods footy. Fire up lads!
    Swannies for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Backs against the wall, written off by just about all...this is a time for bloods footy. Fire up lads!
    I was at the saints cats game a few weeks back. The cats did not handle the wet at all and didnt score in the last half. I think the bloods can win this, but we'll all need to do a rain dance to make sure its slippery.

The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

No changes to speak of, Roos has every confidence in a team that should have lost by 100 pts last week. We were woeful & a disgrace! The teams with a bit of pace will always exploit this Swans side & the last time we played Geelong it was Wojinski, Ablett & the faster Cats that exposed us & Selwood of course ( the great ducker of the head).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Richards View Post

Unfortunately you are dead right!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314