Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U 18's

Talking U 18's

It's a worry when Uni people cannot count to 18. Syd Uni lost all there points yesterday i believe in their 18's due to too many on the field. Must have forgotten their abacus
    Last edited by snow leopard; 1st August 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Careful. Now someone from the uni will tell you that the plural of abacus is in fact abacii.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Careful. Now someone from the uni will tell you that the plural of abacus is in fact abacii.
    Yes, you are right but if their english is as good as their maths i don't think they will understand

Almost Football Legend
    Ouch! That would hurt to have a count so late, especially if they were well up at the time.
    I've seen a couple of senior games where teams had their scores wiped after a count. Back in my first year of doing the RWO reports, East Coast had their score erased against St George; and a few years later St George were on the offending end against North Shore. And there was the incident in that final at Bruce Purser last year when a count was called but the umpires ruled the numbers were in order.

It's a harsh punishment, but only the blatant cases get caught - it requires the opposition captain to notice and bring it to the umpire's attention before the offending team has a chance to put it right. In some ways it's an unfair rule, because a breach in the last minute is penalised far more than a breach in the first minute. But unless we can somehow find someone pedantic with an orange flag to watch the interchange area at every game in every division, we're stuck with it.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Warming the Bench
    I'm shattered for them.

Despite a final scoreline of 1.0 (6), there are still 19 goals listed on the website.

We played them last year at Greygums. They had two cameramen, a runner, two water runners, a physio, a wad of coaches with clipboards and a few more supporting staff. Problem was they couldn't provide a club umpire and as no official umpire was appointed, our clubbie was the only one officiating.
    No wonder they beat us by 100+. Must have been that 19th player on the field that won it for them. Oh if only we knew.

Warming the Bench
    I wonder if they are considering the option of legal action to allow them 19 on the field in future if caught?

Haters gonna hate.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    I'm shattered for them.

Despite a final scoreline of 1.0 (6), there are still 19 goals listed on the website.
    It's an interesting grey area - whether goals kicked before falling foul of a player count should still count as part of a player's stats, even though the goals don't count on the scoreboard.

Could you imagine the confusion if a player kicked the ton for a season and then his team had their score wiped. Would he have to kick his 100th for the season all over again?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    No grey area as I see it Norris.
    If the scoreboard is wiped, it is and (AFAIK) always has been only the scoreboard that is affected. Individual stats, goals and League medal votes still count as normal.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snow leopard View Post
    It's a worry when Uni people cannot count to 18. Syd Uni lost all there points yesterday i believe in their 18's due to too many on the field. Must have forgotten their abacus
    There was a mix-up with a player being red-carded and a substitute being put on the field too early. Not a great outcome but it wouldn't have affected their standing on the table.

Seeing how the thread is U18s have a look at the ladder. Four teams on 9 wins and all with different %. A combination of forfeits, rain wash out and rejigged draw means that I cannot understand how the % is obtained. Assuming a forfeit for is a win helps but teams have no longer played everyone twice or so it seems. Penno must be thanking the GWS draw that the Riverview team they will play this week will be very different to the one they just played or they would probably miss the finals.

Other teams will be thankful as well as Riverview in the finals might upset a few apple carts.

The Bendigo paper advises that GWS will not be playing TAC Cup finals so all those boys become available subject to the AFL ruling on eligibility. Not sure what that is yet other than that they have changed their mind. Probably a very open finals series in Premier Cup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast