Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Geelong in game discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Yep, I guess it just makes me realise how bloody lucky we are that Goodesy is so resilient!

If he was injured in the last two weeks then it would have been an absolute (1993) massacre both weeks.
    Yes, I was there at the games back in '93. I remember the joy at finally getting a win for 1st time in a year, against Melbourne

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swans500 View Post
    Yes, I was there at the games back in '93. I remember the joy at finally getting a win for 1st time in a year, against Melbourne
    LOL - the only game I missed that year - I drove from Canberra every other game!

Veterans List
    They had a go but at one point out of 12 goals 2 to Geelong, 10 goals 1 was from turnovers.

We were let down badly by Mcveigh. He had a cheek having a go at someone in the midfield. Was very soft at a contest in the last quarter and was saved by the ball popping into his hands.

Goodes, McGlynn, Kennelly, Richards, Hannabery, Bolton, Mumford were our best.

Coaching:

Why was Goodes played mostly up forward? He played a very good game but where is he the best value?
    Why do we kick sideways when going forward, often to players manned up. It seems to be automatic and drilled.
    Milburn! He had about 30 possessions mostly kicks and mostly kicks received from kicks in. So why wasn't someone sent to him to try to prevent it. When they got the ball on the last line Milburn was running to the fat side by himself time and again.
    Why don't we have midfielders running forward to the fall of the ball? Oppositions have no pressure from our forwards at all.
    Geelong midfielders made a beeline for the ball at centre clearances. Our players were singed in the after burn. Horrible defensive mindset at centre bounces once again. Why dont we get in the right position or read the play?
    Nothing appears to have been done to arrest the turnovers by foot.
    Why is it we are the worst at moving the ball on, and even when it is obvious that is where the game is going and how the best sides play, yet we seem to be bogged down in the past? Bevan, Moore and Meredith were painful tonight.

Warming the Bench
    Wasn't a game, just finished watching the telecast.
    Few points;
    - Can we go back to calling McVeigh - 'McHack' again?
    - Mumford tries hard but he looks worn out
    - Great to see irish back in form
    - Goodes is such a champion
    - Jack could be a future champion.
    - When's LRT back?

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    LOL - the only game I missed that year - I drove from Canberra every other game!
    Then came Barrassi and Rocket and Lockett and a GF 2 seasons after. Always hope I guess!!!!....

I just wonder how the Cats keep all those Premiership & Grand Final players within the salary cap. Last year I could understand them wanting revenge for being beaten by the Hawks & not taking a salary increase but not this year after another Premiership. The Lions had to shed players every year after the second Premiership to keep within the salary cap. I reckon there might be some creative accounting going on at Geelong.
    This is going to be unpopular but I think we need to rebuild & all the old list players need to be expendable & that includes the 2 Boltons, Shaw, Mattner, Kennelly, Bevan, Richards, Roberts-Thompson & Barlow

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    Wasn't a game, just finished watching the telecast.
    Few points;
    - Can we go back to calling McVeigh - 'McHack' again?
    - Mumford tries hard but he looks worn out
    - Great to see irish back in form
    - Goodes is such a champion
    - Jack could be a future champion.
    - When's LRT back?
    Until the last quarter I thought McVeigh must have been injured.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Overall observation: Geelong incredible skills their accuracy was a reflection of this. Great at working the ball in tight and then breaking fast and backing their skills to win the one on ones

We had plenty of inside fifties by they were laboured and unstructured. The difference couldn't be more stark. Plenty of times we had npossession just outside fifty with no prominent marking targets to aim for. Tdl and Johnston should be in line for a game next week

Individual observations
    ROK something wrong with his left leg. Favoured using his weaker right and when he had a shot from fifty, one he'd normally nail chose to handball it off
    Tadhg was very good containing Varcoemand getting plenty himself
    Kirk as a defensive half forward? The end couldn't come sooner sadly
    Bevan opposition teams know his weaknesses - bad on the one on ones and they'll isolate him and also lack of pace
    Kennedy - superb at getting hands on the ball but slow in getting rid of it
    Richards - I'm sure he's going to get his usual slagging off but I thought he fought valiantly with mooney considering the quality of ball coming in
    Goodes - we need two one in the middle one up forward
    Shaw - on the precipice
    McVeigh - quiet might have to go back to tagging to find touch

I don't think ROK was quite as bad as some have said, he was arguably our most effective in close. Sure, the rest of his game was rubbish, but it wasn't ALL bad.

McVeigh is clearly playing injured. Needs a rest.

I'm a fan of Shaw, but he needs to be dropped to regain some form. At the moment he is a shadow of his best.

Mattner was rubbish, another player who is badly out of form. He needs a rest.

Bevo was OK. Stevie J was on in a big, big way tonight, there's not that much he could have done, and Johnson has always been too good in the air for Bevo. Not a performance to be dropped on.

Richards played one of his best games for the year. He was unlucky a few times tonight, but played well.

Jetta looks on the verge of exploding. I like him in the side, even if at the moment he's not particularly effective.

Moore was OK, should retain his place.

Meredith doesn't seem ready for senior action.

I'm thinking we might see a left-field selection next week; Nathan Gordon has been consistently good for the ressies, so an elevation might be in order. I would actually like to see that.

In conclusion:

OUT: McVeigh (inj/rest), Shaw, Mattner, Meredith
    IN: TDL, Vespa, Johnston/Reid, Gordon
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    The Cats are back to their imperious best. Hope they deny Pies.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Regular in the Side
    A few things I noticed watching at the ground. Hannebery is good at and getting into space. Unfortunately he is ignored a lot of the time, but good to see him being creative.

Richards actually had a pretty good game - although the bar for measuring same was set pretty low once again.

Goodes is practically a one-man band. Without him we'd be really stuffed.

Geelong's talent highlights our lack thereof and despite seemingly trying our best at times, they just looked far superior to us.

I find it difficult to figure White out. His positioning seems wrong or he doesn't read the play well, or something.

O'Keefe is definitely off the boil and perhaps carrying an injury.

There was very little atmosphere and while I don't know the crowd figure, it looked quite empty out there tonight.

Why was Mattner on Ablett? The only reason I could think of is that they wear the same number. Sad to say but a few in our defensive line are not smart footballers!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Until the last quarter I thought McVeigh must have been injured.
    Is probably playing injured, although ROK is CLEARLY injured. Although has Nico has mentioned he was OK getting the ball, I guess they could put him in the midfield and order him not to kick it ala Pyke.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast