Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Geelong in game discussion

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Define A grade mate. O'Keefe (although a little out of form lately), Malceski (tipped by some as AA this year), Hannebery potentially (as a favourite for Rising Star), Mumford is young but in the top handful of ruckman going around. There are not many teams that have more than a handful of "A Grade" players. Geelong does and they never sat at the bottom for four years to get them. Hawthorn and Carlton are showing that extended stays at the foot of the ladder don't automatically guarantee sustained success afterwards

I'd love to see a team of superstars running around in red and white too mate and a lot of us - possibly you too - have proved that we'll still be there after an extended stay at the bottom of the ladder. But I would prefer to see the club continue to operate under its own steam, doing its best to win each and every week and not be relying on handouts from the AFL stay alive.
    I think most fans who go to the matches would agree with you.They want to see the swans win every game. On the other hand "playing the kids" has been seen by many as a form of tanking and a policy which will see us losing games. The reality is that we are also losing games not playing the kids however. I am dissappointed that we have not seen more of Vez,MOD,Johnstone and TDL this year and we saw too much of some others. I don't believe playing them would have changed the score too much in any game and the old reliables would still be ready for the Finals if we need to revert to them. To me it offered a win/win solution which unfortunately the club did not pursue.Of course I still want the Swans to win every game,but I also want them to build towards a future premiership team. Young players usually need 20-30 games to really click. We will therefore not have the core of a young dynamic side for another 2 seasons and thats if we play them next year.This stage of the year is when we should be settling the side down for the finals a point followed by the coaches last week.

Theres two teams coming into the competition in the next few years that will most definitely be full of young untried players and that will bottom out at least for two or three years (and maybe will even have some a grade players sprinkled through them) . Anyone who heavily subscribes to this theory should jump on the bandwagon as they will need all the support they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Define A grade mate. O'Keefe (although a little out of form lately), Malceski (tipped by some as AA this year), Hannebery potentially (as a favourite for Rising Star), Mumford is young but in the top handful of ruckman going around. There are not many teams that have more than a handful of "A Grade" players. Geelong does and they never sat at the bottom for four years to get them. Hawthorn and Carlton are showing that extended stays at the foot of the ladder don't automatically guarantee sustained success afterwards.

I'd love to see a team of superstars running around in red and white too mate and a lot of us - possibly you too - have proved that we'll still be there after an extended stay at the bottom of the ladder. But I would prefer to see the club continue to operate under its own steam, doing its best to win each and every week and not be relying on handouts from the AFL stay alive.
    The only player at this point of time who could possibly make all Australian or even Mike Sheahans top 50 is Goodsy, maybe Mal but I doubt it. Hanners ,Mummy and maybe further down the track Rohan and Smithy are all going to be great players and unfortunately ROK is crippled with a groin problem. Another way to look at it is who from our group would be an automatic selection in any of the top 4 teams? I too would hope the club continues under its own steam, I believe it would even if we did have one or two extensive rebuilding years, oh and like you say I've been a supporter for over 50 years and will be buried with my scarf and cap on.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Theres two teams coming into the competition in the next few years that will most definitely be full of young untried players and that will bottom out at least for two or three years (and maybe will even have some a grade players sprinkled through them) . Anyone who heavily subscribes to this theory should jump on the bandwagon as they will need all the support they can get.
    I will be getting behind Gold Coast Suns simply because I live an hour away from GC in northern NSW. Swannies will always be my number one however! I am excited by AFL coming back to Carrara,I used to watch the "Bears" there many years ago.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112