Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans Members Forum Last Night

Swans Members Forum Last Night

I attended this meeting last night. I meet another RWO'er - Mac, who is with the Cheer Squad. Very nice lady who told me about the amount of work that goes into making a banner and that the Cheer Squad needs help. So maybe next year, those that have the time to make new friends and make banners could join the Banner Legion.

Well about 14 members gathered downstairs in the Swans HQ at Tower 4 just before 6pm. Whilst we were waiting to go up, Goodesy , Craig Bolton and a tall blondehaired ruckmen size kid with braces came down the lift and walked past us. Im sure it wasn't Currie. Orreal???

So they headed off into the night whilst we went up to the Boardroom. The Boardroom is on the 3rd floor but for some reason the lift only goes to the second. Indeed a mystery worthy of investigation. Could this be a Feng Shui design? Did the Club run out of money?

As the doors of the lift openned on the 2nd, we were right in front of Stewie Maxfield sitting at his desk in his Office which was right in front of the lift and John Longmire was standing in the doorway talking to him. John was very friendly and showed us upstairs. I still think he will make a big difference. Just a feeling I have. No chance for a quick interview. Overawed by his height.

As you enter the Boardroom, there is a glass cabinet on the right containing three signed footballs from the 2005 finals series. Another wall had a huge painting of the 2005 celebrations. A framed score sheet from the 2005 GF was also displayed. Very impressive boardroom table which could seat about 20. However, the 2005 Premiership Cup was not there. I didn't realise this at the time and it was only when my son asked me about it today that I had realised must have been elsewhere.

From the Swans were:

Anthony Cammell - GM - Marketing, Membership and Fan Development
    Natalie Fagg - Project Manager Membership.

Anthony only joined the Club at the end of last year and he is from Adelaide. Natalie has been with the Club for some years. I have actually dealt with her in the past and she was very helpful. She had last year off travelling. Both were very friendly.

The meeting was only meant to go for about an hour but ended up going over 2 hours and then could have gone for another hour easily. Much time was taken up initially, as those attending shared their supporter status/hiostory with the group.

The purpose of the meeting was what members thought about marketing, building a fan base and memberships.

We were told that there would be 3 Saturday afternoon games again next year.

The Club had also applied for a Friday night game. Few years since the last.

That the contract with ANZ was locked in and would go for a while yet.

Some people had a gripe about Saturday afternoon games however as Anthony pointed out there are people who work in hospitality and miss out on night games.

Some people had a gripe about ANZ and that there was no atmosphere. Anthony said that they tried to improve that this year by not selling tickets on level 6. However everyone did pretty much agree that a near full ANZ did have atmosphere. Problem was working out what to do to fill it. We spoke about keeping the Red Zone for Swans members and how to do this.

The Club is not concerned about GWS because another team in the market place created more advertising and that helped the brand awareness.

Everyone was generally happy with membership and prices. If some people thought their area was too expensive they moved to another area.

The ad for last Saturday's game was actually done by the AFL. Somehow the AFL screened names and picked 4 and then the ad was put together. By the time the Swans saw it they couldn't change it. Everyone had a laugh especially Mike on how he had achieved super hero status. So that's how that come about. Seems the AFL isn't sure who plays for the Swans and it's not just the Melbourne media.

I asked if they (Swans) knew what the break-up of the 30,000 crowd was last Saturday night. Anthony said it was about 15,000 members and the rest were non members.

He said that generally people east of Homebush don't want to go there. So Swans members from there will hardly travel to GWS games there in my opinion.

Adam Goodes is the biggest star in terms of recognition at the moment in the Sydney market.

Some attendees brought up the question of having a key FF to advertise in the past but now the Club wants to focus and build the profile of the team rather than just the one player. They probably learnt after Barry Hall Hall imploded.

Player contracts weren't discussed because it was not a marketing issue.

We were all given their business cards and they warmly requested for further feedback from the night. This was the first Focus meeting of its type.

On our way downstairs we saw Lewis Jetta and another blondie player of his height (who I didn't recognise) walk past on Level 2.

Surprising only Mac and I posted or were aware of RWO from the people that attended.

Could get Ugg a freelance journalist job at the Club doing their Reserves write ups.

So I will be emailing Anthony with some ideas that I had. I think the Club is open to all reasonable suggestions to build the fan base and how to improve the avdertising of the Club in the Sydney market.

Any suggestions for them post em here and they will read them.

That's about all I can remember at the moment. Will add if I remember something else.

Just remembered following email received today from Club about Saturday's after game function:

Members After Match Function ? this Saturday at the ICC!
    Join us after the match this Saturday at our final Members After Match Function for season 2010!
    Hosted by Peter 'Spida' Everitt, the after match function will be held at the Indoor Cricket Centre (entry at the top of the Walk of Honour, behind the Members Pavilion). All Sydney Swans members are welcome to attend!
    The event will feature player interviews, live entertainment, fantastic prize giveaways PLUS the full team from the match will be in attendance!
    The After Match Function is a great way to finish off a day of footy and allows you to catch up with friends, family and a few of the players while the traffic subsides.
    Please note: the after match will run for two hours. Buses to Central, Goulburn Street and UNSW Park n? Ride?s, Castle Hill and Dural will be extended with the last service to each of these locations departing at 6.50pm.
    You MUST present your Sydney Swans membership card to enter.
    Please note that this After Match function will replace the normal After Match function in the M.A. Noble Stand.
    Entry is subject to capacity.
    Last edited by Bas; 4th August 2010 at 10:22 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Warming the Bench
    Great report Bas, being a Melbourne based member i'd like to see something like this done down here.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Thanks for sharing that Bas.
    Where is our premiership cup?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Premiership cup is probably still with Richard Colless who takes it to bed with him each night.

Ta for report Bas. Andrew C was the bloke I had contact with after the initial shocker Syyydddnnneyyy chant being "practiced" at the beginning of the year. He is approachable, and obviously listened to us. Knowing Andrew C was a convener, that is probably why I was NOT invited......
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Thanks for sharing that Bas.
    I was in the offices about three months ago and at that time, all three premiership cups were in an illuminated glass display cabinet in an area something like a reception lounge on the second floor.

That makes sense as the Gym is on the 2nd floor, so it would be displayed for motivational reasons to the players I imagine. The third floor has the boardroom and business concerns rather than sport.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

The club can do all the focus groups about seating arrangements, pricing, scheduling of games and promotions it likes, but unless the team is winning and to a lesser extent playing exciting footy they won't get any more bums on seats.

Sounds cynical, but this is just a basic fact. It's not unique to the Sydney market and it afflicts most codes.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    The club can do all the focus groups about seating arrangements, pricing, scheduling of games and promotions it likes, but unless the team is winning and to a lesser extent playing exciting footy they won't get any more bums on seats.

Sounds cynical, but this is just a basic fact. It's not unique to the Sydney market and it afflicts most codes.
    Certainly not cynical hammo, just factual.
    Showed last weekend that they can promote the hell out of a game, advertise it everywhere (we even got a flyer in the letterbox), but when the product is crap, the crowds just ain't going to come.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post

Good footy AND winning puts bums on seats. But they can't drop their heads when the team isnt firing on all four and abandon their marketing efforts anymore than the team could just give up and roll over! In fact I would expect the converse to be true..the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Good footy AND winning puts bums on seats. But they can't drop their heads when the team isnt firing on all four
    Bloody Cortinas.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Bloody Cortinas.
    It's been 4 the last couple of weeks,6 earlier in the season.8 waaaaay back!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Roos' kids still have it
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast