Thread: "Threat to MCG Grand Final"

"Threat to MCG Grand Final"

Threat to MCG final - AFL.com.au

Because the AFL is extending their season next year to accommodate the Gold Coast, they plan to hold the Grand Final on October 1. The problem is that Cricket Victoria has the sole rights to the MCG from 1st October through to 31st March every season, with the AFL taking the 6 winter months. With Cricket Victoria refusing to let the AFL have access to the ground, Andy has threatened to move the game away from the MCG. So, either someone will blink and they'll compromise or the AFL has the alternatives:

Etihad Stadium - 56,347 seats.
    ANZ Stadium - 83,500.
    SCG - 46,000 (though probably in the middle of a revamp)
    Football Park - 51.515
    Subiaco - 43,500

ANZ has been touted before as an option, but I don't think they'd be too keen on doing the AFL Grand Final on Saturday Afternoon, including post-match functions on the ground and in boxes, and then backing it up with the NRL Grand Final on Sunday. I'm sure this is what Andy has in mind whn he says "move it interstate", but I don't know that it could work.

As for the other options, would the AFL really be prepared to ditch 50,000 seats (MCG at capacity = 100,018) just to snub Cricket Victoria? I can't see it happening, though if I was a Freo supporter I'd be doing everything to get the Big One out west, seen as they are every chance to go top 4 next year.
    Last edited by laughingnome; 5th August 2010 at 07:12 PM.
    10100111001 ;-)

Cricket Vic will be offered compensation for the lost week if its need.
    The economics (and the contract) say the Grand Final will be played at the G for a few years yet.

Living in 2005
    The AFL should play hardball. The MCG is an amazing ground that has gone through fantastic redevelopments because of AFL Football - yet another 80K plus crowd this Sat night, this strict 6 month ownership thing is ridiculous, AFL Football and to an extent some Int. Cricket subsidise the horror loss making Sheffield Shield matches, I would have thought Cricket Victoria would jump at the chance to have a match in Country Vic or at Punt Road during this time.

Cricket Victoria do not deserve compensation just to allow the biggest game in Victoria an extra weeks access for ONE YEAR.

How about we get rid of the boring as bat @@@@ NAB cup and start the home and away season a week earlier, leaving the GF to be played in September just like it has been for the last 110+ years.

Almost Football Legend
    Grand Final was played in October as recently as 1994 - and without complaint from anyone.

One of the bugbears of the AFL is the limited access that club members have to Grand Final tickets. But if they play the Grand Final, those problems will be over - there'll be more than enough to go round. The MCC members would miss out, but who cares about them?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Grand Final was played in October as recently as 1994 - and without complaint from anyone.
    Thanks for bringing that up, Norris. I'm so sick of the PR - I think Channel 7 started it in the 80's - that spoonfed many into thinking it has always been on the last Saturday in September. There have been 114 Grand Finals (none in 1897, 1924, two in 1949, 1977) and while I don't want to write up a table anyone can enter " VFL Grand Final" into Wikipedia and see for themselves.
    10100111001 ;-)

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    Thanks for bringing that up, Norris. I'm so sick of the PR - I think Channel 7 started it in the 80's - that spoonfed many into thinking it has always been on the last Saturday in September. There have been 114 Grand Finals (none in 1897, 1924, two in 1949, 1977) and while I don't want to write up a table anyone can enter " VFL Grand Final" into Wikipedia and see for themselves.
    "One Day in September" by Mike Brady was used by Channel 7 in the early 80s. I have no issue with October though, if I had my way the footy season would start the week after the 5th test and go through to the first test haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    .....if I had my way the footy season would start the week after the 5th test and go through to the first test haha.
    Me too, with the tests played back to back to get them done quicker...lol.

I like my cricket, but I LUV my footy.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

What intrigues me about this whole kerfuffle is what will happen this year if the GF is drawn - will the MCG refuse the AFL access for the replay the following week (October 2nd)?

Living in 2005
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018851,00.html

Cricket Victoria cave, seems AFL and MCC pressure win the day and the MCG is booked for 1/10/11, and will be on standby for the week after. Cricket Victoria had no hope in the publicity stakes anyway, state cricket game V AFL Grand Final.....
    Last edited by Damien; 6th August 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had an interesting conversation yesterday......what happens to all the great Footy Songs..."One day in September"?

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I had an interesting conversation yesterday......what happens to all the great Footy Songs..."One day in September"?
    Interestingly, the AFL dumped it from tne Grand Final entertainment 2 years ago. Maybe a pre-emptive strike!