Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premiership Season next year

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I understand there is no cricket there for that weekend or the next three weeks. I think its more a problem of being seen to be bullied by the AFL. Which in all reality is whats happening.
    Yeah you can see they're line of thought: Give them one day, then they ask for a week, then a month...

There's no cricket there for that month because they need to prepare the square. While technically CV has the MCG for 6 months October is lost to preparation and March is half lost in preperation for the AFL season. I wouldn't want my 6 months reduced to 4 for an extended AFL season.
    10100111001 ;-)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Bye in first and last round would be great, Atleast you start and finish with 4 points.
    4 points for a bye? Did they announce this too?

Last time the AFL had byes (1994), the ladder was sorted using the match ratio system, which ranked teams according to games won divided by games played. I think it's a silly system because sides that have played fewer games are ranked artificially high when they've won the majority of their games and artificially low when they have lost the majority of their games, particularly when there are drawn games in the mix.

Four points for a bye ranks sides that have played fewer games artificially high no matter what. It is based on the idea of a forfeit by a fictitious team.

IMO the most equitable and easy to understand system awards two points for a bye instead of four. Think of it being a 0-0 draw with a fictitious team instead of a fictitious forfeit. It ranks similarly to the match ratio system but is much easier to explain. Draws and byes are treated the same. The result is that teams are ranked according to games won minus games lost with draws and byes being disregarded. For the average mug fan, "two points for a bye" needs no further explanation.

When byes are in for one year only, a simple system is best.
    Last edited by Thunder Shaker; 6th August 2010 at 12:09 PM.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    Yeah you can see they're line of thought: Give them one day, then they ask for a week, then a month...

There's no cricket there for that month because they need to prepare the square. While technically CV has the MCG for 6 months October is lost to preparation and March is half lost in preperation for the AFL season. I wouldn't want my 6 months reduced to 4 for an extended AFL season.
    Yes. There is really no reason why the Bank Cup cant start a week earlier. Just find some grounds that dont have Cricket on them and get on with it. No one gives a stuff about it anyway.

In the past there were no points for a bye, I would assume that will be the same next season. As every team has 2 byes it all works out evenly in the end.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Yes. There is really no reason why the Bank Cup cant start a week earlier. Just find some grounds that dont have Cricket on them and get on with it. No one gives a stuff about it anyway.
    Annie calls it the "Ansett Cup" which is the most apt description of this complete waste of time.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I agree.

It will be interesting to see who the Swans fans cheer for in the 'other' game.

I am on record as saying I will be following GWS and hope they do well except when playing the Swans, but it will be interesting to see what those who are in the 'Stuff GWS, I hope they die!!' camp will do if it's GWS v Collingwood ...lol

Support the Auskick kids?
    Or the dUmpires?

Storm in a teacup. It wil be at the MCG. They would never get the numbers at ANZ. I wouldn't complain though being an AFL member.
    Bas, I think you're wayyyyyyyyy off track there mate. They would have absolutely no problem selling out an AFL GF at ANZ, regardless of who's playing. No problem.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Storm in a teacup. It wil be at the MCG. They would never get the numbers at ANZ. I wouldn't complain though being an AFL member.
    Bas, I think you're wayyyyyyyyy off track there mate. They would have absolutely no problem selling out an AFL GF at ANZ, regardless of who's playing. No problem.
    I tend to agree. A lot of seats are corporate and would fill anyway, as would the package deals offered by clubs, travel agencies and promotional winners. Interstate fans make the trek to the MCG, I see nothing changing if it's moved, especially if it's the first weekend of October, with WA, SA and NSW all enjoying a three-day weekend then.
    10100111001 ;-)

I couldn't see it selling out because the Corporates are all Victorian but it would be nice to host it at ANZ.

They didn't say last night whether/what points would be awarded for a bye. My assumption.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

I would love gto see them try an AFL GF at Homebush. My opinion is that it would sell out.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Living in 2005
    Would sell out EASILY. Not even a slight issue. Would be a massive money maker for the City of Sydney too, especially if there were more member tickets available than normal for participating teams. Imagine Collingwood V (Anyone) at ANZ?

Living in 2005
    AFL secure MCG for 2011 final - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports

Cricket Victoria realise they have no hope of winning any publicity wars with the AFL, GF stays at the MCG.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast