Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can we hurry up and ditch ANZ stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Also, the ground is groomed for Rugby Codes, it's horrible to play on. Talk to any player from our team or the three teams we play and they will tell you that you need to wear multiple boots at ANZ because you have no idea what the surface is going to do one patch to the next.
    Sound like that other so called premier AFL venue in Melbourne - Etihad. Shoud all teams stop playing there too?

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaussie View Post
    Sound like that other so called premier AFL venue in Melbourne - Etihad. Shoud all teams stop playing there too?
    lol

I think if we had a custom made ground for AFL (with a roof) in Sydney, the surface would be a secondary issue. As it was in my post re: ANZ.

I would love to see us play all 11 at the SCG, but it is an absolutely crap place to get from when coming from Canberra- that is the only advantage ANZ has over the SCG.

Only games I want to see us play at ANZ potentially when GWS are in is perhaps the Derby once it gets a bit of stature about it and perhaps finals games if its say a Prelim. If we never played there again I wouldn't be unhappy. Unless you fork out for platinum seats, the views are crap at ANZ, and its a hollow concrete monolith with zero atmosphere. The surface is tripe due to all the rugby league/union whatever else (And the stands being moved over it on the edges as well. doesn't help)

As for your issue Beaussie with not being able to play at other styles of grounds because we play at the SCG- that is absolute bollox. A good team is a good team, and will win on other grounds without a problem. We won plenty of big games in 05 and 06 away from the SCG I seem to remember. In reality, with the exception of the amount of running needed to be done and some of the angles when kicking for goal, does it really matter what shape or size the ground is? The best team will 99% of the time win the game.

More important to consider than anything else is our record and form at each ground. And our record and form at ANZ is now crap.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    we need to be getting 50 plus crowds.
    We'd have little trouble getting 50k crowds if most of our fickle eastern suburbs "supporters" would show up to actually support the team when it plays in Sydney.

It's only 3 years ago we averaged more than 60,000 per game at Homebush. You would think the capacity to attract crowds like that would be a matter of pride among club members. You can forgive the bandwagon supporters for not attending all our games in Sydney. But not people who are paid up members. It's pretty pathetic.

I hate ANZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaussie View Post
    Swans sellout the SCG. lol

When was the last time we got anywhere near a sellout at the SCG???
    You actually raise an intriguing point here.

I think the last time we sold out the SCG was way back in 1997 against Geelong, when we got a record 46,168.

We didn't even crack the 40K mark for the famous semi-final against Geelong in 2005. The crowd for that match was 39,079.

There's certainly no hard evidence, in terms of crowd size, that Homebush has been a failure.

Here are the average crowd sizes for home-and-away matches since we started playing at Homebush in 2002:

Year SCG Homebush
    2002 19,957 42,986
    2003 26,512 49,704
    2004 26,879 42,485
    2005 28,733 39,682
    2006 30,401 49,092
    2007 25,222 63,392
    2008 25,452 45,824
    2009 26,866 36,874
    2010 27,891 35,208

The evidence shows that hundreds of thousands of extra people have come to our games since we've started playing at Homebush.

Obviously, the big crowds have significantly declined since 2007, which was an exceptional year. But that just mirrors our decline as genuine contenders. Sydney knows we're not the real deal at the moment. Especially when Roos says it so blatantly.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    We'd have little trouble getting 50k crowds if most of our fickle eastern suburbs "supporters" would show up to actually support the team when it plays in Sydney.

It's only 3 years ago we averaged more than 60,000 per game at Homebush. You would think the capacity to attract crowds like that would be a matter of pride among club members. You can forgive the bandwagon supporters for not attending all our games in Sydney. But not people who are paid up members. It's pretty pathetic.
    Are there Swans members who don't attend ANZ games as some form of protest?!

Say it ain't so!

The ANZ viral marketing team have been busy tonight.

Bottom line is we fans don't care for ANZ and neither do the players. I for one won't be dealing with it next season.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Are there Swans members who don't attend ANZ games as some form of protest?!

Say it ain't so!
    I'm afraid that's true Mike. There are thousands of them, and they live in Sydney's eastern suburbs.
    Last edited by Cheer Squad; 8th August 2010 at 11:11 AM.

ROK's comment at the after match said it all. Even the players hate playing there.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    The evidence shows that hundreds of thousands of extra people have come to our games since we've started playing at Homebush.
    perhaps, but a factor in those stats is that the prejudged blockbusters have been put out there which, to answer another post, is why the scg hasn't sold out in over a decade.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast