Thread: Member Recognition Get Together

Member Recognition Get Together Report as requested by ugg

Well, that was pleasant!

We trooped out to the Indoor Cricket Venue which had one side open onto the warm up paddock and we could watch (if so inclined) various "legends" warm up, including Jason Saddington (sad, he really looks grown up now, I am used to him looking like a gangly colt!), Nic Davis, Troy Luff, and Peter Bedford!

There was a small group with the young lady singing up a storm, two stations at either end of the venue to purchase meat pies, beer and wine, a raised dias with no step (you need long strong legs), a vast red and white banner along the wall behind, lots of indoor green turf to stand on, a scattering of tall tables, just a few chairs, and a vast sea of red and white clad Swans members.

The event was convened by Nic Fosdyke (we can be proud of him, we brought him up well) who is doing a sterling job as a "talker", and he introduced first of all our CEO Andrew Ireland. I am convinced he can talk under water - with a mouth full of marbles. He spoke eloquently about the meaning of this member recognition event, and the fact that it will be ongoing (that means that next year I miss out...) as the Club wants us to know that we are valued. Now I don't know about you, but I see it as a VAST change from previous attitudes, and I warmly embrace it, so did everyone else there. We all knew its significance. We are now 28,000, but they want 40,000 for the future....and that they had just realised (ahem) that Goldcoast now have an all red strip and that the Swans now have to design a new away strip (not happy apparently).

After Andrew, John Longmire was introduced, and he touched on the ongoing coaching future, and mentioned 4 ressies in a positive light, one of which was Ves.....interesting I thought.....much to the crowds delight. Mention was also made of the fact that Nic now coaches Balmain (I Know!!!) and how much of a challenge it is when you think you can still play, but its a bad bad idea. John tried it about 4 years ago and broke his nose in the first few minutes.

Peter Bedford was introduced to much aclaim (Swans Brownlow medalist and 5 time Club Champion), looking pretty darn fit for a bloke over 60, and doing a reasonable job getting into his Legends gear; yes he was actually joining the boys for a kick! Spoke of the angst at the Sydney move; very proud of the club now. Nice man.

Luffy was next on board with our normal ironic cheers for him, Sydney favourite, much was made of him still playing, and that he really loved his commentating job. Actually he looks like a contented man.

Dic Navis (their words not mine) was next in line, creating much mirth with the fact that he is now coached by Nic Fosdyke.....at least I thought it was funny. He is back after 18 months in Melbourne mucking around with horses. He was approached by the Club to coach at the Sydney Acadamy and he starts in September. He is pleased, We were pleased, he is still a cheeky bugger. I do believe the blond who joined him on stage is his daughter, all wriggly and doing her own thing - remind you of anyone?

It was a good hour of feelgood, we have been told we are valued, it has been expressed by the management, we were chatted to (not "at") it was pleasant, inclusive, not at all gungho and jingoistic, and there were in the vicinity of 700 hundred redclad people there (I base this on my ability to estimate SCG crowds, DO NOT quote me). I liked John Longmire, I have a feeling that when he speaks, people (read players) listen. He has a strong stable presence about him.

I left to claim a bucket of disgusting chips (what on earth!) - it was an abberation, I always bring my own stuff but I just ran out of supplies.... and my friend stayed on for a bit, and reported that while all the "Legends" were still doing warm up drills on the next door paddock a mention was made of not kicking the ball over the wall, so Nic Davis did.....right into Driver Ave, with no effort and a wicked grin. We agree he must have been a nightmare to coach!

There you go, my impressions, not necessarily in chronological order. When you get your invite, I would encourage you to take it up as a Swan.

PS: whoops, forgot to mention, lucky door prizes of signed jumper and posh dining in the Red Lounge went to mostly 198o era members.....which was great. Except I didn't win anything, and that wasn't great......
    Last edited by Primmy; 8th August 2010 at 11:22 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Happy and I know it
    Sigh. And then you watched a fantastic afternoon of footy, including Jetta's goal. Perfect.

Wish I could have made it up for this game
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

I am anominously re-entering this thread for your notice; I slaved for minutes and minutes over it!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side
    I read it!!! Enjoyed it muchly ... I was ecstatic just to receive a pin and certificate as a 10 year member this year!!

Member Recognition Get Together

Excellent write up Primmy. Good to see that it was worthwhile experience.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN