Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: Tuggeranong Hawks v Sydney Swans Reserves

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 16: Tuggeranong Hawks v Sydney Swans Reserves

AFL Canberra Round 16
    Tuggeranong Hawks v Sydney Swans Reserves
    Sunday 15th August 2010 2.00pm
    Greenway Oval

A top-versus-bottom clash but the result may not be as straightforward as one might expect. The reserves are coming off a big loss against Queanbeyan, while Tuggeranong have won their last 2 against Queanbeyan and Belconnen.

Ladder
    TeamWinsLossesDrawsPointsForAgainstPercentage
    Reserves11314617691314134.63%
    Ainslie8613414071191118.14%
    Belconnen780281236128096.56%
    Queanbeyan780281327149288.94%
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eastlake690241337134699.33%
    Tuggeranong5100201141159471.58%

Past Meetings
    R5 Tuggeranong 22.12 (144) defeated Reserves 13.13 (91) @ Greenway Oval

A depleted Swans side of only 12 listed players and 20 in total fell away in the last quarter to suffer their only loss to date. Trent Dennis-Lane led the way with 3 goals while Campbell Heath, Daniel Currie and Dylan McNeil were named as the Swans' best players

R8 Reserves 28.12 (180) defeated Tuggeranong 11.6 (72) @ Greenway Oval

A last-minute change of venue due to the inclement weather proved no obstacle for the Reserves, who steamrolled the disappointing Hawks. Top-up player Kieran Emery had a day out with 8 goals, followed by Trent Dennis-Lane with 5 and Lewis Johnston 4. Sam Reid, Dylan McNeil and Pat Veszpremi were named as the Swans' best players.

R12 Reserves 20.20 (140) defeated Tuggeranong 9.6 (60) @ Sydney Cricket Ground

A strong first quarter where the Reserves kicked 7 goals to none set up an emphatic victory. Jesse White provided a fantastic aerial display and was rewarded with 8 goals. Sam Reid, in the absence of Daniel Currie, excelled in the ruck for the first time while Lewis Jetta turned on the style and speed in a very impressive second half.

R4 Tuggeranong 20.10 (130) defeated Reserves 18.9 (117) @ Dairy Farmers Park
    R9 Tuggeranong 15.16 (106) defeated Reserves 9.12 (66) @ Greenway Oval
    R14 Reserves 27.12 (174) defeated Tuggeranong 15.13 (103) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
    R18 Reserves 22.7 (139) defeated Tuggeranong 19.14 (128) @ ANZ Stadium

Recent Form
    Reserves - WWLWL
    Tuggeranong - LLLWW

Last Round
    Reserves 14.7 (91) defeated by Queanbeyan 19.18 (132)

A severely depleted lineup of 10 listed players battled manfully for 2 and half quarters before the Tigers kicked clear. In the absence of tall forwards, Gary Rohan and Pat Veszpremi kicked 10 goals between them. Rohan and Veszpremi were joined by Irish rookie Chris McKaigue as the Swans best on the day

Tuggeranong 12.15 (87) defeated Belconnen 10.6 (66)

For the second week in a row, the Hawks overcame a 3 quarter time deficit to storm home. Jay Kickett led the way with 3 majors.

Team List (number of 2010 AFL Canberra games in brackets)
    Listed players

• 7. Brett Meredith [8] (Senior emergency)
    • 10. Daniel Currie [13]
    • 13. Pat Veszpremi [14]
    • 16. Gary Rohan [7] (Senior emergency)
    • 20. Sam Reid [14] (Senior emergency)
    • 22. Byron Sumner [10]
    • 23. Lewis Johnston [14]
    • 28. Dylan McNeil [14]
    • 35. Campbell Heath [10]
    • 36. Chris McKaigue [13]
    • 40. Nick Smith [2]
    • 43. Matthew O'Dwyer [9]
    • 45. Nathan Gordon [15]
    • 46. Taylor Gilchrist [13]

In: Meredith (Non playing senior emergency), Currie (calf), Johnston (hip injury?), Smith (hamstring)
    Out: None

A much needed boost in the number of listed players. Meredith, Rohan and Reid all travelled to Perth with the senior side but are expected to make their way to Canberra for this game. Johnston was reportedly sidelined with a hip injury but has been named.

Scholarship Players

• 49. Jack Lynch [6]
    • 52. Mitch May [8]

In: May
    Out: Blake Guthrie, Jackson Potter, Nathan Kenny

Top ups

• 47. Sam Ash (Eastlake)
    • 50. Brendan Dess (Belconnen)
    • 53. Daniel Dickerson [2] (Eastlake)
    • 51. Kieran Emery [7] (North Shore)
    • 54. Rhys Hartwig (Belconnen)
    • 55. Jackson Maloney (Belconnen)
    • 56. Zachary Sheather (Belconnen)
    • 48. Harry Treloar (Eastlake)

Emery will boost the Swans goalkicking stocks.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Trent Dennis-Lane 37 (11 games)
    • Lewis Johnston 35 (14 games)
    • Pat Veszpremi 23 (14 games)

For full list: 2010 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Sam Reid 31 (14 games)
    • Dylan McNeil 29 (14 games)
    • Daniel Currie 28 (13 games)

For full list: 2010 Best votes - RWOwiki

Tuggeranong
    Their two most recent wins have been upset victories over perennial finalists Belconnen and Queanbeyan. Their game plan is built upon a disciplined defensive set-up: A settled back six ably supported by their midfielders and half-forwards dropping back to fill the gaps (a.k.a. mega-flood). The success of this strategy has been evident in these two victories, as it has allowed them to bridge the talent gap between themselves and their opponents.

Players to look out for:

4. Jim Rice - Veteran utility who represented the ACT this year.
    18. Ben Cleaver
    19. Ashley Pocock - Medium forward, leading goalkicker with 27 in 14 games
    36. Ben Symons - Precocious teenager who destroyed the Swans in Round 5 with 4 goals and BOG display

Talking points

• Smith - Judging from Roos's comments over in Perth, Smith only has to complete this game unscathed to earn a recall to the seniors as he is in the Swans "best 22"
    • Johnston - Reportedly out with a hip injury, but has been named. Perhaps he will play limited minutes or exclusively in the forward 50.
    • Rohan - With some tall timber back, he might not be constrained to playing up forward. In most reserves games, the coaches have liked to use him in defence where he can use his pace to set up attacks on the rebound.

Why the Swans can win

• They have already beaten Tuggeranong this year at Greenway.
    • 14 listed players is a solid foundation for a winning squad.
    • Possibly the last chance to impress the senior coaches before the finals.

Why the Hawks can win

• They have already beaten Sydney this year at Greenway.
    • A proven game plan that can bridge the gap on more talented teams.
    • Question marks over a few players and the possibility that some of the Swans emergencies might be required in Perth.
    Last edited by ugg; 13th August 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Ugg... Informative as usual.

Hope Rohan and Smith can come through unscathed. Also I thought Johnston was out for the year or was that just a rumour?
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Thanks Ugg... Informative as usual.

Hope Rohan and Smith can come through unscathed. Also I thought Johnston was out for the year or was that just a rumour?
    Rumour started by Lewis himself...

Is Vez primarily being used as a forward these days?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

On the Rookie List
    What happened to that thug Armstrong.I well remember guys like that from my playing days.I hope they rubbed him out for a while? Does anybody know?

I hear that he has been suspended for 1 match

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I hear that he has been suspended for 1 match
    What!!! Worth much more than that!!!!

Oh, and thanks ugg. Are those emergencies going to play in ressies, or have they gone to Perth? If they have, wellll......
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Are those emergencies going to play in ressies, or have they gone to Perth? If they have, wellll......
    They've gone to Perth but the Canberra game is on Sudnay, so probably flying back as soon as the Freo match starts.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    They've gone to Perth but the Canberra game is on Sudnay, so probably flying back as soon as the Freo match starts.
    oh dear......well we will be pretty much stuffed then for this game. Is there a red eye to Canberra? Or are they going to fly back to Sydney, and then bus it down......stuffed that's all I can say.
    Last edited by Primmy; 13th August 2010 at 05:20 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    oh dear......well we will be pretty much stuffed then for this game. Is there a red eye to Canberra? Or are they going to fly back to Sydney, and then bus it down......stuffed that's all I can say.
    That second option is just plain torture. I wouldn't wish that upon my enemies.

There is a direct Canberra flight 16:30 Saturday. Fair chance they'll be on that if they leave at 3/4 time
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Miiiiight make my way out there, if I can be bothered. A lot depends on how much I drink Saturday night!
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast