Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RWO Ideas Forum - Promotion & Relegation

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOW View Post
    So if UTS win 1st 2nd 3rd div they can't be promoted.does that mean teams can't be relegated
    Remember, the league has the power to promote or relegate any team regardless of ladder position. I pity Wollongong if they get relegated. It would be a logistics nightmare travelling so far to multiple venues on one weekend. IMO they might as well wave the white flag now if that happens.

A 14 team div 4 isn't ideal. A div 5 to startup would be a great idea, and would encourage clubs to strive for a 3rd/4th side if they had the numbers.

However, new clubs should NOT be put straight into the bottom division, a little thought would be required to gauge experience etc. Auburn and Saints for eg. would wipe the floor every week if they were playing the bottom 5 teams of the current div 4 in a div 5 comp this year. Bad decisions re grading for new clubs has the potential to ruin the years competition for the lower Divs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post
    i dont think too many teams that will be playing finals are worried about next year yet.
    and pekay i wouldnt worry too much about maroubra or any other club not being good enough at the moment id concentrate on getting your team out of div 4 because your great goal of beating penrith on the ladder isnt going to happen.
    Wow, did you take offence from that comment Croc? Getting soft n sensitive in your autumn years.
    Last edited by Pekay; 16th August 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Wow, did you take offence from that comment Croc? Getting soft n sensitive in your autumn years.
    I didn't take offence, Pekay. I took it as a compliment that Penrith are the Jets benchmark in Div 4. About time we got you again anyhow. Now we just have to catch up in Div 2, hopefully sooner rather than later. Still got plans for 18's next year? Hope so, some handy players over there getting lost without a senior club.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    I didn't take offence, Pekay. I took it as a compliment that Penrith are the Jets benchmark in Div 4. About time we got you again anyhow. Now we just have to catch up in Div 2, hopefully sooner rather than later. Still got plans for 18's next year? Hope so, some handy players over there getting lost without a senior club.
    Not the benchmark for us, finals was, but poor commitment from some blokes was the downfall, could've made a fist of it if they all switched on and showed up, considering we went from 13th to 6th. But next best thing is giving it to your mob.

Yes, still the plan, lot of work to do.

We believe its that croc you have a coach & not the players. Pity that leg wasn't right to against Auburn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Not the benchmark for us, finals was, but poor commitment from some blokes was the downfall, could've made a fist of it if they all switched on and showed up, considering we went from 13th to 6th. But next best thing is giving it to your mob.

Yes, still the plan, lot of work to do.

We believe its that croc you have a coach & not the players. Pity that leg wasn't right to against Auburn.

Damn, have to pay more attention, can't remember who I am logged in as at times.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYEFBE View Post
    A 14 team div 4 isn't ideal. A div 5 to startup would be a great idea, and would encourage clubs to strive for a 3rd/4th side if they had the numbers.

However, new clubs should NOT be put straight into the bottom division, a little thought would be required to gauge experience etc. Auburn and Saints for eg. would wipe the floor every week if they were playing the bottom 5 teams of the current div 4 in a div 5 comp this year. Bad decisions re grading for new clubs has the potential to ruin the years competition for the lower Divs.
    Hi Jayefbe - I disagree. I think new clubs should start at the bottom. How else will you grade a new club until they start playing? And i think Wollongong should be relegated, it's not doing the players any good to be flogged consistently on a long-term basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005magicmoment View Post
    Hi Jayefbe - I disagree. I think new clubs should start at the bottom. How else will you grade a new club until they start playing? And i think Wollongong should be relegated, it's not doing the players any good to be flogged consistently on a long-term basis.
    I understand your point Magic. Clearances could be a good guide though? I would presume a new club would need to show they have the numbers before being accepted. A little research could show that if their players have alot of experienced players committed from higher divs then perhaps they might be too good for most clubs 3rd or 4th grades in Div 5. This may be easier said than done though.

Out of interest, do any leagues restrict clearances to individual players dropping down say from Premier League to a 5th or 6th Div club the year after? I know this happens in cricket assocations, they have wickets and batting averages to weigh up against though.

I do agree Wollongong should go down too, if UTS win the comp again that is. If Mac U spring an upset and win the comp would they want to go up?

Warming the Bench
    Hang on, this time last year, and even only a few short months ago, we were all heralding the demise of the great Balmain Football Club. They have since turned a corner, albeit a small one, and are now sitting in 7th place with 5 wins. Yes, they had some handy resources to help dig themselves out of a hole, but it goes to show that given a little time, a club can start to turn it's fortunes around. Dropping out of premier division would be disasterous for Wollongong, but so would having one team in Premier Division and one in Divsion Two. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I believe in Premier Division, they should be given the chance, if they want it, to stay for one more year and try to prove their worth.

How are their 18's going? Spending a wad of cash on ex AFL players to come 7th, isn't really turning a corner in my books it is just same old same old.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast