Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barry Hall

On the Rookie List
    I lost a little respect for the man at Mickey Os last game, he wouldn't put the swannies scarf on, and left before half time (he was behind us). Feel conflicted, will probably boo if everyone else does (Baaaaaaaa!)

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by supersall View Post
    I lost a little respect for the man at Mickey Os last game, he wouldn't put the swannies scarf on, and left before half time (he was behind us). Feel conflicted, will probably boo if everyone else does (Baaaaaaaa!)
    I'm not sure he did leave as I am pretty sure I saw him at the aftermatch that night. Totally understand not wearing the scarf as he had indicated already he wanted to play on and had probably had his in principle agreement in place with the dogs.

Hope he wins the Coleman, he deserves one. He gave it to Gehrig in 05 ( I think it was Gehrig, and in 05?) , plain and simple. He didn't want it. It would b fantastic if he could win his first one at 33. I couldnt care if he kicks 7 agianst us on the weekend, as long as we win the game.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    We will be just using the pointing curse as he kicks for goal... two arms outstretched, first two fingers of each hand pointing straight at him and as he kicks steer the ball out of bouinds or at least through the point posts... it's very effective.... and it saves your lungs...

hp
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    We will be just using the pointing curse as he kicks for goal... two arms outstretched, first two fingers of each hand pointing straight at him and as he kicks steer the ball out of bouinds or at least through the point posts... it's very effective.... and it saves your lungs...

hp
    Oh. you're that HP! Cool.

Consensus seems to be that...
    OK: various incarnations of "chewy on the boot" in BBBH's direction
    OK: general booing at groups of Dogs that might accidentally include Barry Hall
    OK: booing if he goes the knuckle on a Swan

but if he's roughly on his own, whether "in play" or not, then he's the ex Premiership winning captain who shall not be mocked.

For mine, if its on the FOP and not in red and white or on a stretcher then its fair game.

I just hope the umps give him nothing. Last time in Canberra was a joke. For years they give him stuff all, then when he plays us, all his free kicks come at once!

Yes Barry is A Swan Premiership captain and I will always love him for his work and his antics. He was always good to watch and provided great entertainment.

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    No booing for the sake of it from me. Who will play on him? Will lrt be back? Richards blocking his space? If he gets cranky and the free kicks start being paid against him, you never know some rolling of the eyes on the verge of jeering may be in may be in order. however now he no longer plays for the red and white, I doubt that will happen. I agree with that earlier post, he does look pasty in blue
    Last edited by Cant turn right; 18th August 2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: 2nd thoughts

On the Rookie List
    Actually, when you think about this in a psychological way, being positive towards Barry will probably do more damage to their team than booing him. We know he's an emotional guy, but if we can take away that extra 10% agro from him that makes him chase and charge a little harder, might just keep him a little more quiet. All this said, I have never booed an ex Premiership Swan and never will.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by andyn View Post
    ... All this said, I have never booed an ex Premiership Swan and never will.
    There has never really been an ex premiership player in a position to be booed apart from Baz.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Will Sangster View Post
    Interesting comments on OWAAT last night regarding Bazz and the Bulldogs. They basically said that although Bazz has had a very good season personally, that the dogs forward line is now a bit one dimensional with him as the focal point. They have also scored less goals in total than last year.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Whilst we certainly still have our fair share of forward line issues (had DB stayed on the park we would have been fine), I think it shows that you're better off in the modern game with multiple focal points as opposed to one key power forward.
    I think it might be more due to Johnson, Aker, Hill, Higgins, Hahn etc not delivering what they did last year for a variety of reasons. They'd be fighting for a spot in the 8 if it wasn't for Hall.

Certainly teams are better off having multiple focal points but I still think you need at least one quality tall.

We often went to Barry too much but the 'Dogs have had just about no other option this year, with so many of their forwards injured, finished, sacked or just struggling for form.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    I won't be booing him. Well, I won't be there, nor will I be watching it on TV (I believe this is the first live game I haven't caught live in one form or another in almost 3 years, a pretty decent achievement given I sometimes worked weekends for a large chunk of that), but when I watch a replay, I'll be hoping he has a shocker, but only as far as I hope any important Dogs player has a shocker. I still have a soft spot for Baz, and I do get a bit of a warm, fuzzy feeling when I see him kicking bags, along with a hint of jealousy: if only he was still doing it for us! But then I remember how one-dimensional we were with Baz, how unreliable he was in our team setup towards the end, and I know it was for the best.

Really, the Barry Hall situation was win-win-win. We won by ridding ourselves of a volatile and unreliable forward who was frustrated and had stagnated in his current environment, and who was costing us as many games as he was winning, creating room in our forwardline for Bradshaw to slot in (not that he's had that much opportunity this year due to injury), our forwardline has become multi-focal, allowing Ben McGlynn and more recently TDL to come to the fore, and we got a decent pick for him that helped facilitate the trade for McGlynn and Kennedy, alongside Mumford the biggest steal of the draft period, and in combination possibly one of the best of all time (though it's perhaps a bit early to judge that far).

Meanwhile, Hall is now happy, he's in the form of his life, he's getting good delivery, he's probably added another 2 years, maybe more, to his career, he's a contender for the Coleman, while the Dogs are relishing the potency a power forward gives them as they look to have secured a top 4 spot.

Hall had stagnated with us, it happens to the best and most professional of players sometimes, though Hall had fairly "special" way of expressing it! I honestly don't think there is nearly as much bad blood between Hall and Roos/Kirk as has been read into at times on this board, it was a decision that benefited everybody, and Hall, Kirk and Roos have all been vindicated by how it has turned out.

I have been and will be cheering for Baz all year and through the finals, just not when he plays us. After the game, however, he's the bloke that lifted up the cup with Roos. He's our only living Premiership captain. That counts for a lot.
    This is by far the most eloquent precis of this sequence of events that I have read. I concur wholeheartedly.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast